141 (real) mph?

Started by fstsven, April 3, 2005, 09:56

fstsven

Yesterday night, I decided it was time for a good old "top speed run".  Now, on a few occasions I have run my car close to top speed, but this time I was determined to really keep it nailed and see what we could come up with. So, 2 AM, I went out for the A8 motorway, running from Brussels to Lille in France.  I ran a certain stretch of it (20kms/12m) at 100kmh/60mph, to be sure there were no radar traps, turned around, and made sure there was no other traffic around (I know it's illegal on the public road, but I don't have the luxury of a private airfield...   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  ) That said, it's a very quiet stretch of motorway anyway, and at night, really NO-ONE was around. So I booted it.  s:) :) s:)  
Accelerated easily to well over 200kmh/124mph, then the acceleration started to tail off a bit, but I kept foot on the floor! The results were quite startling: on the flat (not taking account for wind speed, but it wasn't windy) I saw 220,5kmh/136,7mph  s:!: :!: s:!:    These are real numbers, based on calculations from revs (6300!) in fifth gear, with no modifications to gearbox and standard tyre sizes; the speedo was then showing 228kmh/141mph.  On a following downhill section I saw 6500 rpm, equating to a real 227.5kmh/141mph, the speedo indicating 235kmh/145,7mph  s:!: :!: s:!:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  
Am I missing something here, is this normal, or is my car in particularly good shape?
What are your opinions?
Btw. car is a 2000, five speed, standard tyre sizes, no aircon, 60000kms/37000mls, lowered by 30mm, with precats removed, twin Remus exhaust, K&N sports replacement filter in original airbox with original piping.
Greetz from Belgium    s:) :) s:)
2004 fire red TOYOTA MR
K&N air filter
BLUEFLAME single exhaust
APEX progressive rate springs (-30mm)
3.ORACING breastplate
TOYO proxes R1R 205/50/15(f)-225/45/16(r)
25 kgs extra lightness

Chris

A little above average I'd say, as I suspect that the remus and filter are helping matters.  Plus theres the issue of speedo calibration to consider..

On the way back from Germany recently, I was passed at high speed by a Golf R32, and as it was relatively straight and quiet, decided to chase after him, and I also got to 120 ish fairly easily but then it took for ever to reach and indicated 130mph where it didn't seem to want to go any faster.

I have the newer 6 speed smt btw, and also have a remus exhaust, but the standard airbox/filter for the moment...
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Anonymous

The five-speed gearbox and RPM limits mean that an NA Spyder (with mirrors folded in) should be able to attain 136mph on level pavement. At least, that's what the reporters at Road and Track had to say about it. Figure anything between 130 and 140 is average.

Tem

Sounds normal to me. If you want to be more accurate, measure the circumference of the tyre, don't calculate it.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

I hit 137 on speedo (rpm was definatly 6500) in the highlands this weekend.
If you have never been to the north west coast of Scotland in your '2 you HAVE to make an appointment!

Check out visitscotland.co.uk and plan a route from glasgow around scotland to perth. you WONT regre it (1000mile round trip staying in B&B's along the way!)

PS north of Skye there are no cameras.. not traffic police... no people.. almost no other cars on the road!

Liz

Just a disclaimer re the above post!!

PLEASE NOTE: The club in no way endorses speeding on Public Roads, and would encourage all members to act responsibly regardless of their power outputs.

Admin hat off  s:? :? s:?
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

er... use your own judgement ppl, not mine  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  
FANTASTIC scenery curvy roads, I have pics but unable to post them cos I dont know how.

Liz

Slighty OT, but if you open a photobucket account you can upload your pictures onto their and then link through image button to here. Look forward to seeing the scenery!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

SteveJ

mph managed 152 (GPS reading not speedo as that had stopped going up   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  ) with a few hundred rpm still available before the redline on the Autobahn (unlimited section) on the way back from our little roadtrip to the Essen motorshow.

His car is a UK spec 5 speed SMT.

Anonymous

Quote from: "SteveJ"mph managed 152 (GPS reading not speedo as that had stopped going up   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  ) with a few hundred rpm still available before the redline on the Autobahn (unlimited section) on the way back from our little roadtrip to the Essen motorshow.

His car is a UK spec 5 speed SMT.

Ah, but you fail to the mention the extra little thing he's got hidden away in his engine bay...   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

2Wow thanks Liz, lets see if this works!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y113/VibratingSky/Ullapool-Docks.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y113/VibratingSky/HighlandMountain.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y113/VibratingSky/EastHighlandsTopoftheWorld.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y113/VibratingSky/HighlandRoad.jpg

Some of the pics from the Highlands, the pics really dont do it justice, imagine the scenes panoramic, the pic of the dicks was actually taken from my B&B bedroom!  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   i meant DOCKS!

Ahh Freudian slip! Thinking one thing and ment my mum:lol:

Anonymous

Ok perhaps im getting carried away now, here are 2 more. One from another B&B bedroom window, the other from Dunray Nuclear powerplant.

I got a lovely tan there!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Anonymous

I've tried it on an airfield, and at the top end, the speedo overreads by 5mph.  I was doing 131mph, the speedo said 136mph.  It still had a little more left in it but really needed nardo or something to get any faster.

Slacey

<Admin> I've changed the images to links as they were a little large, for reference 640x480 is best for displaying directly on the forum </Admin>
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

POLITE notice

You may have hit a high speed though i think you better check your oil tank as it's known after hitting high or top end speed in the mister your 16v could die due to a lack of oil in the engine.  Cos for some reason the car some time leaks engine oil in the engine compartment due to the heat of the engine block.

As I've had to learn the hard work. Lucky I've still got my warranty.

kanujunkie

What?????
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Yeh i burned off about 4 litres of oil in the trip about scotland! it did include hours on end over 4000rpm in 4th. When I checked my oil there was none left (the tip of dipstick was black, the rest bone dry!). If id waited until i got home there could have been some damage. caught it in the nick of time  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  
It seems whenever i go on a long journey and hit the top speeds my oil drains away  s:( :( s:(   I have taken to keeping a supply on board.

kanujunkie

i'd be checking your engine and quickly, starting with the pre-cats, i spend a lot of time on motorways at high speed and never lose any oil between services
[size=100]Stu[/size]

mrsmr2

Eek - no oil

I also do a fair bit of fast speed and long journeys (plus blats around my local lanes) - so far 15k miles in less than a year of owning the car.

Hardly used any oil at all in that time.  The dipstick went down to about 3/4 to full at the time of 10k service.

Jason
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

kanujunkie

29K in 18 months for me
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

well I guess I win the toaster oven.  I've got 60k miles on the clock

kanujunkie

Quote from: "rainmen23"well I guess I win the toaster oven.  I've got 60k miles on the clock

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Tags: