Exhaust sound measurements chart

Started by Slacey, April 3, 2005, 19:22

Slacey

The primary reason for the Mids meet today was to use the sound meter I had borrowed to get exhaust level readings off various cars  with different setups, and the results proved rather interesting. If anyone else manages to get readings with different sytems to those listed, please post them here and I will add them to the chart.
All readings were done 1 metre away from the exhaust, at a 45 degree angle and at 4500rpm's, as this is how most racetracks would perform a static test.
To make things easier I will list in order from loudest > quietest (all readings are in DB)

1. (Slacey) Hass turbo, 3" custom exhaust = 97.0 (99.3 at WOT)
2. (Bongo) Stock car with gutted precats = 91.4(!)
3. (mph) PE turbo, custom exhaust = 88.1
4. (Ekona) TTE dual, H&S elbow, TRD drop in filter = 87.8
5. (Filcee) Stock = 87.0
6. (Coley) Magnex twin, Apexi intake = 86.7

Also we tested Mike's (MRMike) 350Z with his fitted-only-this-morning Injen dual exhaust, and that registered the secon loudest result of the day at 93.6.

And finally (well, we actually did it first) we tested Coley's twin subwoofered audio system, and that managed 107.5 and that wasn't at full volume!

There was a few requests from others asking for more detailed readings from the Hass in different situations, I'll get these tomorrow and add them here.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

aaronjb

Nice test Sean  s:) :) s:)

Quote from: "Slacey"1. (Slacey) Hass turbo, 3" custom exhaust = 97.0 (99.3 at WOT)

But holy camoly, that's one loud exhaust you have there! Nniiice  s;) ;) s;)

Wonder what my neighbours Speedster is (I'd guess it's a bug engine on open headers) - I wish my '2 sounded like that  s;) ;) s;)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

i'm surprised about the stock set up with no pre-cats.i thought that would have been alot lower than that.

kanujunkie

Quote from: "jonboy"i'm surprised about the stock set up with no pre-cats.i thought that would have been alot lower than that.

know what ya mean, i'd be interested in seeing what someone like Liz's would be now, no precats, twin exhaust and Apexi, gotta give Sean a run for his money, in sound at least  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

filcee

Quote from: "aaronjb"But holy camoly, that's one loud exhaust you have there! Nniiice  s;) ;) s;)
You betcha!  I had to follow him down the motorway to the pub.  My ears are still ringing!!
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Anonymous

now i know why somebody thought i had a performance exhaust on mine, when its just the same stock set up with no pre-cats.
gonna sound even louder when the apexi is on next week.  s:D :D s:D

Liz

Quote from: "kanujunkie"know what ya mean, i'd be interested in seeing what someone like Liz's would be now, no precats, twin exhaust and Apexi, gotta give Sean a run for his money, in sound at least  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

I would never catch him up, but it sounds loud to me!!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

Eeep no H&S tested !

We can't have that   s:P :P s:P    If noone closer can get their's tested I may have to go on a little roadtrip.   s;) ;) s;)

kanujunkie

a lot of combo's not tested but he! ho! plenty of time for that, a nother meet perhaps, or even at JAE?
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Jap GT300

How long do you have the sound reading equipment for Sean?

Do you have any pictures of it setup?

Liz

Quote from: "Andy100"Eeep no H&S tested !

We can't have that   s:P :P s:P    If noone closer can get their's tested I may have to go on a little roadtrip.   s;) ;) s;)

You are not far as the crow flies from me if you fancy a trip to Southend to hear what one sounds like!

Slacey

Quote from: "Jap GT300"How long do you have the sound reading equipment for Sean?

Do you have any pictures of it setup?
It is a small handheld unit - see pic below - but it needs to go back this week.

Jap GT300

Thats a shame.  I wonder if we can get one for JAE?

Did the distance between the meter and exhaust have a big affect on its readings?

Tem

Quote from: "Jap GT300"I wonder if we can get one for JAE?

Those handhelds are pretty inexpensive these days. Might be worth buying one just for fun, if you're interested in sound levels. IIRC, it was only 20 euros and I also got an IR temp meter for 30e while I was at it  s8) 8) s8)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

aaronjb

Quote from: "Tem"Those handhelds are pretty inexpensive these days.

We're drifting a little now, but.. Maplin have what looks like exactly the unit Sean had for £54.99, and they have a 4-in-1 (dB, temp, humidity & light) for £69.99.

See stock codes TB57M and N09AQ
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

kanujunkie

[size=100]Stu[/size]

kanujunkie

Just found this on Bookatrack

http://www.bookatrack.com/-pp?17

£9 inc P&P both ways, could be a good idea for JAE?
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Slacey

Quote from: "kanujunkie"Just found this on Bookatrack

http://www.bookatrack.com/-pp?17

£9 inc P&P both ways, could be a good idea for JAE?
LOL! That's where this one came from!

Liz

<<puts on little voice and goes.... Ahem!>>

Who has got the figures from the ones that we done near to Marks on Saturday, just wondering if they are going to be published!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Liz"<<puts on little voice and goes.... Ahem!>>

Who has got the figures from the ones that we done near to Marks on Saturday, just wondering if they are going to be published!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

sorry that was me  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  , been at work since

here goes

1)Roger - 97dB - H&S exhaust, Inlet duct, TRD filter
    2)Liz - 99.5dB  s:!: :!: s:!:  - H&S exhaust, Apexi and gutted pre cats
    3)Micheal - 96.8dB H&S exhaust and Apexi
    4)Adrian - 97dB - TTE exhaust
    5)Javier - 91.5 - Inlet duct
    6)Stu - 96dB - TTE exhaust and Apexi
[size=100]Stu[/size]

roger

By the way, we are fairly certain we were reading these at least a foot (30cms) closer to the exhaust than the readings in Sean's post, which would account for higher readings all round
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

kanujunkie

Quote from: "roger"By the way, we are fairly certain we were reading these at least a foot (30cms) closer to the exhaust than the readings in Sean's post, which would account for higher readings all round

but equally, Seans readings could have been too far away and are too low

tell you what, cant we redo the lot at JAE and bring along a ruler?

wouldn't take long
[size=100]Stu[/size]

heathstimpson

Quote from: "kanujunkie"
Quote from: "roger"By the way, we are fairly certain we were reading these at least a foot (30cms) closer to the exhaust than the readings in Sean's post, which would account for higher readings all round

wouldn't take long
Yes I'm sure mine would be rather high  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Liz

Quote from: "heathstimpson"Yes I'm sure mine would be rather high  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Your obsessed, or boasting!

Anonymous

Quote from: "kanujunkie"

wouldn't take long

I should be at JAE on the sunday - so I could supply the dB meter for then???  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Tags: