Front strut brace differences

Started by Anonymous, August 5, 2003, 15:23

Anonymous

I know there has been much discussion regarding front strut braces, can someone remind me of the main differences between the TRD and Cusco front strut braces?  

Cheers   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Neil

Anonymous

Quote from: "Rigsey"I know there has been much discussion regarding front strut braces, can someone remind me of the main differences between the TRD and Cusco front strut braces?  

Cheers   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Neil

TRD is much stronger but heavier, I prefer the TRD bar myself.

mph

The TRD FSB is: heavier; more expensive; unable to use lid; easy access to brake fluid; more cutting of the cover required.

The TRD bar is a welded inline bar between the struts and can in no way perform an elastic deformation; the Cusco uses two pins and a bar with two angles in it. IMO, this makes the Cusco far easier to deform under load - however whether there is enough load passed through it to cause it to do so has never been proven.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "mph"The TRD FSB is: heavier; more expensive; unable to use lid; easy access to brake fluid; more cutting of the cover required.

Easy way to avoid cutting the plastic is to just get rid of the plastic and the lid, it just pops out anyway.  All its doing is adding extra weight.

I WOULD go for the TRD bar, BUT i've found the PR Bar made by Hong, its lighter than the TRD (no bends) but stronger than the Cusco.  I also trust Hong to make a good bar and know he knows what he is doing.

EDIT -  m http://www.pelicanracing.com/sst.htm m

Only problem is Hong isnt making them at the mo, I know him and he's going to make the front and rear for me as one offs.

Tem

I actually drove around without the plastic cover around the front bin for a month or so, but it lets a LOT more dirt in the front bin than with it. Never got any water or anything bigger, but a lot of dirt and dust. Might not matter to everyone, but I put my groceries in there and some are in open bags...so I don't really want the dirt from the road to make it's way in there  s:) :) s:)

Btw, I saw a pic on Spyderchat of the lid in place with the TRD FSB. Apparently you just need to cut the lid from the top edge of the bulge. Haven't tried it myself, I don't really need the lid...it just makes things easier when I don't have it on. If you need the lid, I'd try to heat it and bend it so that it would clear the FSB...no idea if it works, that's just how I'd try it.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

markiii

For anyone wondering we tried my strut brace on Steves 03 last night.

The effect is cumulative. definately worth getting both, the extra grip was insane and not a sign of understeer.

I'll let Steve comment further.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

SteveJ

Quote from: "markiii"For anyone wondering we tried my strut brace on Steves 03 last night.

The effect is cumulative. definately worth getting both, the extra grip was insane and not a sign of understeer.

I'll let Steve comment further.

Only 2 things I can say -

1)  s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

2) Anybody lend me £250?

Liz

So remind me again - what ones have you got Mark? think this is my 100th post - whoop ding!  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

markiii

front and rear upper strut brace.

don't worry about the rear too much unless you get a good price (as discussed at JAE) as the front makes far more difference.

heres the front;

m http://www.spydermagazine.com/2001/Apri ... nstall.htm m
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Comer

Has the TRD bar changed? In those Spyderchat pics the brake fluid tank lid is still obstructed by the bar.

I'm sure I've seen pics of a bar with an opening to enable access???
Michael

Ex:    Black 2002 MR2 Roadster
Now:  Black 2002 Rav4 Cruiser

markiii

there are 2 versions. the LHD as pictured and the RHD as sported by yours truly which has the hoop to clear the brake resovoir.

Comer

An alternative to TRD and Cusco - JIC Strut Bar. Cheap price but is it cheap quality?

http://www.takakaira.co.jp/asp/template.asp?cat=2&id=948&prodID=QRrNoOojlKmipLk
Michael

Ex:    Black 2002 MR2 Roadster
Now:  Black 2002 Rav4 Cruiser

markiii

I'd say as good as the cusco

Anonymous

Yep, looks pretty much identical in design and materials as the Cusco.

Since anything is better than nothing, and the price is a bargain, I'd say try it...

Jap GT300

QuoteAn alternative to TRD and Cusco - JIC Strut Bar. Cheap price but is it cheap quality?

m http://www.takakaira.co.jp/asp/template ... OojlKmipLk m

RAS design looks good straight bar with 2 bolt mounting points either side.

I've just ordered one!

Anonymous

RAS? The JIC bar is available in OAS and OCS variants   s:? :? s:?

Jap GT300

You got me panicking!

Order No. 32575 (RAS Style strut) MR-S

I think this should be the most affective/strongest style.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Jap GT300"Order No. 32575 (RAS Style strut) MR-S

That's a rear bar...

Jap GT300

Uh Oh  s:( :( s:(  

Thanks Phil, That'll teach me for doing it in a rush at work.  I'll have to order a front as well.

Tags: