Hardtop dimensions aka how to transport the damn thing (without a working mr2)

Started by househead, August 2, 2019, 15:16

househead

Having a hard time working out what vehicle to hire to collect a hardtop I've purchased. Bear in mind I can't take the car itself to transport it. Tried searching for the specific dimensions but I'm finding searching for things on the internet these days is simply not as effective as it used to be. In short, the internet marketeers have ruined it for us.

Enterprise will hire me a Renault Kangoo for £20/day. Cargo area is 1.48m x 1.25m x 1.22m (L x H x W). The next size up is a tenner more expensive and this will be the first time I've driven a van so don't want to hire something that's more of a pig to drive and wastes the money.

Also don't want to drive most of the way to Brighton to discover I can't fit it in the smaller one.

Any ideas if it will fit in there? I previously read that it wouldn't fit in a Golf sized car with the seats forward (I have a Golf as my other car).
2004 Sable Red Edition, TTE Twin Exhaust, Toyosports Manifold

Carolyn

155 wide x 135 long x 40 cm tall.

It's the 155 wide that gets you!
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

househead

Thanks ... I suspected it would be the width that was the problem!

You've saved me the money and the hassle and now I can hire a big enough vehicle if I can find one, looks like even the "Medium Van Commercial" (Vauxhall Vivaro) won't be big enough. The storage area is but the rear door isn't :(

Thanks Carolyn you fountain of knowledge, you!

StuC

You cannot view this attachment.

And now with pictures... lol

I do have a hardtop 'somewhere' in the garage.

I'd say it was closer to 145cm wide x 128cm long x 38cm tall.

@Carolyn your dimensions would deffo be enough. :)
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

househead

So it's going to need the Large Commerical (Renault Master) ... anyone need owt bringing from almost-Brighton to London or vice versa!?

househead

Nice work, both. Hopefully this will also be of use to others in a similar situation.

ManInDandism

Funny - just measured mine as 144 x 130 x 40 cm. Is on a stand under a dust sheet though so maybe I haven't taken from the max dimensions so best to err and go with @Carolyn

Where's it got to get to from Brighton? That's literally on my doorstep and might have offered to transport it on my own '2...assuming not John o'Groats bound  ;D That said, don't have it this w/e as is with garage getting leaky PAS pipes replaced.
Black 2004 Roadster
Previous: Black 1994 Mk2 Turbo

househead

Quote from: ManInDandism on August  2, 2019, 16:18Funny - just measured mine as 144 x 130 x 40 cm. Is on a stand under a dust sheet though so maybe I haven't taken from the max dimensions so best to err and go with @Carolyn

Where's it got to get to from Brighton? That's literally on my doorstep and might have offered to transport it on my own '2...assuming not John o'Groats bound  ;D That said, don't have it this w/e as is with garage getting leaky PAS pipes replaced.

There's lunch and a pint in it for you if you could!

Postcode SE6 2TW. Take you about 75 mins each way on a good day (if there's such a thing as a good day to drive towards London!)

I have to get it by 10th Aug (Week tomorrow - Sat).

Even with the smallest dimensions offered above it looks like would need to be the huge van (if not on "2"), due to the restriction of the door opening, rather than the actual useable cargo space.

Carolyn

I allowed a little 'extra (not much) 'cos spot-on won't get you through the hole!

Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

househead

@ManInDandism Just about to hire the vehicle so no worries but thanks for thinking of me!

I need to break my van "duck" at some point, what better time to start than now!

ManInDandism

No worries (just revised my reply after your latest post).  Should have my car back on Monday and offer definitely there if needed.
Black 2004 Roadster

househead

Quote from: ManInDandism on August  2, 2019, 17:27No worries (just revised my reply after your latest post).  Should have my car back on Monday and offer definitely there if needed.

You're a good man!

StuC

Quote from: Carolyn on August  2, 2019, 17:02I allowed a little 'extra (not much) 'cos spot-on won't get you through the hole!

It's a good shout when considering any estate car. The trunk opening and the inside space rarely match!

ManInDandism

As a total aside - this one sold on eBay earlier this week virtually as soon as it was listed.  No surprise with a 'buy it now' price of £300 including fitting kit.  Bargain if you are local to Scotland.  As we don't have an obvious place to point these things out I just had to muse,  I bet someone on here would have loved it! 
Black 2004 Roadster

househead

Yea that's an absolute steal! (In order to comfort myself I'm going to tell myself it "must" be stolen!). Scotland = too damn far for me, though I will be up there on a holiday in Sept.

househead

@ManInDandism thinking about what you said it would be nice if we had a forum section for pointing out great deals on mainstream/commercial sites like the bay.

Joesson

@ManInDandism  and @househead , "bargain" buys have been mentioned previously in the old " Shout box" but that was very transitory, also I have mentioned such things in "Thoughts for the day", it is quite well viewed.
 Why not post in there - "I think this a bargain" or similar.

Mikeymead

Just thinking would it not fit vertically/diagonally in a Vivaro size van.
Ding Day 2016 "Best In Show" & "Inspector Gadget" winner, not that I'm gloating or anything like that!

StuC

Quote from: Mikeymead on August  3, 2019, 21:27Just thinking would it not fit vertically/diagonally in a Vivaro size van.

Personally I would only attempt that with plenty of packing. It wasn't design to cope with those sort of point loads. :(

Mikeymead

Quote from: StuC on August  3, 2019, 21:31
Quote from: Mikeymead on August  3, 2019, 21:27Just thinking would it not fit vertically/diagonally in a Vivaro size van.

Personally I would only attempt that with plenty of packing. It wasn't design to cope with those sort of point loads. :(

Well yes that goes without saying,probably wouldn't even want to store it flat in the van without a foam bed.
Ding Day 2016 "Best In Show" & "Inspector Gadget" winner, not that I'm gloating or anything like that!

househead

Maybe ... tho based on the dimensions Carolyn gave I did compare with van door size opening specs I found (although I didn't consider diagonally, I did look at door opening height).

I could well have made a mistake.

Anyway, I've brought out the big guns and hired the massive one and paid for it (£33 so not mega).

Definitely will take some packing etc with me

StuC

Quote from: househead on August  3, 2019, 22:13although I didn't consider diagonally, I did look at door opening height

And people say there is no use for trigonometry!! Lol

TheTigerUK

Quote from: Carolyn on August  2, 2019, 15:50155 wide x 135 long x 40 cm tall.

It's the 155 wide that gets you!

Thanks Carolyn, trying to work out how and where I can store the hardtop I will soon have.
Say it with love, say it with flowers but never, never, say it in writing.

The idea is to die young as late as possible :)

SV-3

'03 Mk3 Chilli Red (Avon ZV7's: 26F/32R)
Sony WX-920BT
"Hardtop Cognoscenti"
"Stock Cubed"
"AirCon Aficionado"
"Keeper of the Beeper"
Ex '88 Mk1b White (Yokohama A539's: 26F/28R)
"Here we all are, rumours and old toffee abound." John Martyn

Ardent

I had a custom covers bag. Fixed some screw in hooks in the wall to line up with the bag handles and hung it on the wall. A variation of above.

Tags: