Hardtop dimensions aka how to transport the damn thing (without a working mr2)

Started by househead, August 2, 2019, 15:16

fawtytoo

"My name is not important" - Slartibartfast

TheTigerUK

Thanks, my wife would chuck me out if I suggested the living room, mmm an idea :) no room in my small garage, do I buy a 6' x 4' garden shed just for the top, giving it a lot of thought  ::)
Say it with love, say it with flowers but never, never, say it in writing.

The idea is to die young as late as possible :)

Joesson

Quote from: TheTigerUK on April 19, 2022, 08:58Thanks, my wife would chuck me out if I suggested the living room, mmm an idea :) no room in my small garage, do I buy a 6' x 4' garden shed just for the top, giving it a lot of thought  ::)

Our garage is small in plan but does have a pitched roof so I have made a loft area that is boarded out. Below that I have a rack where ladders and boards are stored so not using floor or wall space.
Some years ago I made a box top for the car, utilising a ladder rack, for camping gear. When not used I hung it from the  extra low level joists I had put into our, at that time, flat roofed garage that I had formed shelving with the joists.
I created a simple pulley system to raise and lower the box top.
A similar arrangement may suit your situation if the available headroom is adequate.

SV-3

Quote from: Joesson on April 19, 2022, 09:42Our garage is small in plan but does have a pitched roof so I have made a loft area that is boarded out. Below that I have a rack where ladders and boards are stored so not using floor or wall space.
Some years ago I made a box top for the car, utilising a ladder rack, for camping gear. When not used I hung it from the  extra low level joists I had put into our, at that time, flat roofed garage that I had formed shelving with the joists.
I created a simple pulley system to raise and lower the box top.
A similar arrangement may suit your situation if the available headroom is adequate.

Similar solution from @Zspeed
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=71602.msg865579#msg865579
'03 Mk3 Chilli Red (Avon ZV7's: 26F/32R)
Sony WX-920BT
"Hardtop Cognoscenti"
"Stock Cubed"
"AirCon Aficionado"
"Keeper of the Beeper"
Ex '88 Mk1b White (Yokohama A539's: 26F/28R)
"Here we all are, rumours and old toffee abound." John Martyn

TheTigerUK

Thanks guys but my garage is small and quite packed, machines, tools etc etc and it has a flat corrugated roof (could even be asbestos as its very old.

I think I will have to buy a garden shed for it and I suppose a cover and brackets, uuuuuuuuuummmmmm :)

Zspeed

Quote from: SV-3 on April 19, 2022, 10:28Similar solution from @Zspeed
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=71602.msg865579#msg865579

Thanks @SV-3, yes I still have it but no hardtop or car so @TheTigerUK is welcome to come and try it out if he has the roof space in his garage as he doesn't live far away.  I will add a couple of pics. It's for sale at a good price.
Mostly Silver 04 Roadster. 2zz MAF, Decat Manifold, Zero Sports Cat Pipe.

Zspeed

@TheTigerUK I have pm'd you the pictures as they are to big to post.

Welcome to come and inspect and try it out.

Be nice to see a 2. Saw one yesterday on the way to Corby near rockingham in a village, I had to take a picture for the hell of it. Lol

Zspeed

Here is it for those interested. The wife was driving, that's not me. We were on a mercy mission as I have tonsillitis.

TheTigerUK

Quote from: Zspeed on April 19, 2022, 10:55Here is it for those interested. The wife was driving, that's not me. We were on a mercy mission as I have tonsillitis.

Your wife like mine, always got an eye on me  ;D  ;D  ;)

Ardent

Petrus

Quote from: Zspeed on April 19, 2022, 10:55Here is it for those interested.

Interesting side damage.

Btw. one cannot drive with tonsillitis?
Seriously. Never had it, so  :-\

Zspeed

Quote from: Zspeed on April 19, 2022, 10:53@TheTigerUK I have pm'd you the pictures as they are to big to post.

Welcome to come and inspect and try it out.

Be nice to see a 2. Saw one yesterday on the way to Corby near rockingham in a village, I had to take a picture for the hell of it. Lol
Quote from: Petrus on April 19, 2022, 13:19Interesting side damage.

Btw. one cannot drive with tonsillitis?
Seriously. Never had it, so  :-\

Lol, you can, just that my wife likes to drive if we are going anywhere together.

She is not a very good passenger so I get to sit with our daughter in the back playing games together and watch the world go by.

It's fine by me as I would be shot if I drove at all enthusiastically with her in the car, and if I can't I might as well be doing something else and save my driving time for better conditions.

It saps your of energy and my throat felt like I was literally being throttled all day. Not nice. I thought it was covid and just waiting to get a positive test but it never came so got on the phone and got a different diagnosis.

TheTigerUK

Thanks to MrT marking the plastics I was able to cut them today ready for next week.

Thanks for the offer of the top holder but your garage is gigantic compared to mine :)

Petrus

Quote from: TheTigerUK on April 19, 2022, 15:42Thanks to MrT marking the plastics I was able to cut them today ready for next week.

Ready to mount the boxing glove holders!

For me it has been another year that I have not fitted the hard top. I am saving it as an investment  ;)

TheTigerUK

Petrus

TheTigerUK

Anyone know the correct part number for the clips that go in here ? two either side, similar to the ones holding the frunk plastics but longer, the originals have gone hard so it would be nice to update with new ones while messing about in the area.

18mm od x 5mm centre x 24mm long

fawtytoo

Quote from: TheTigerUK on April 19, 2022, 17:53Anyone know the correct part number for the clips that go in here ? two either side, similar to the ones holding the frunk plastics but longer, the originals have gone hard so it would be nice to update with new ones while messing about in the area.

18mm od x 5mm centre x 24mm long

The heads are larger than the frunk clips. I had to replace some of mine. I bought them on eBay and they're virtually identical.
10x Clips For Mitsubishi Toyota & Nissan 7mm Push Fit Plastic Trim Panel Black
"My name is not important" - Slartibartfast

TheTigerUK

Quote from: fawtytoo on April 19, 2022, 18:04The heads are larger than the frunk clips. I had to replace some of mine. I bought them on eBay and they're virtually identical.
10x Clips For Mitsubishi Toyota & Nissan 7mm Push Fit Plastic Trim Panel Black

Thanks, ordered.

Ardent

TheTigerUK

A question if I may, is the hard top demister cable solely for the hard top ?

Petrus

Quote from: TheTigerUK on April 20, 2022, 08:50A question if I may, is the hard top demister cable solely for the hard top ?

Are there heating wires in the soft top window?

Joesson

Quote from: Petrus on April 20, 2022, 08:55Are there heating wires in the soft top window?

Not wires as such but flat (copper) section heating element but your hood is either completely removed or very seldom up so you would likely not be aware.

Joesson

Quote from: TheTigerUK on April 20, 2022, 08:50A question if I may, is the hard top demister cable solely for the hard top ?

Yes.
At one time a Member @StuC made some for Members who had lost or otherwise did not have a cable, which should come with the hard top.

PS
You could try hanging your hard top on a convenient wall with the cable, likely much stronger than @ Ardents stitching!

Petrus

Quote from: Joesson on April 20, 2022, 09:33Not wires as such but flat (copper) section heating element but your hood is either completely removed or very seldom up so you would likely not be aware.

8)  8)  8)

Tags: