2004- FL safety changes

Started by Petrus, August 30, 2019, 18:05

Petrus

Having read many times ´some reinforcements for crash proteccion´ but nothing complete, ahd a look for it.
Found a detailed list on midshiprunabout.org

- New front under-members and momentum cancellers on the strut towers to help prevent the side members from rising in the event of a frontal impact, reducing dash panel intrusion into the cabin space.
- Improved in-cabin passive safety package adopting an anti-intrusion mechanism on the brake pedal and cushioning material below the accelerator pedal – where the driver's heel rests.
- Reinforcements to the upper front members and the door beltlines help disperse collision energy forces applied to the front side members, minimising any cabin deformation.
- New rear bumper brace, a new strut bracket brace and new floor-to-rocker brace panels attached to the main rear-cabin cross member.
- Refinements to the kick panel reinforcements, floor-tunnel reinforcements and floor cross members help minimise intrusion of the dash panel in the event of a collision.
- The centre pillar has been reinforced with additional gussets and reinforcement of the centre floor cross-member.
- New pads in the doors and retuning the hardness of the trim padding to reduce the chance of crash impact injury to the torso area.
- New Steering braces.

If anything it´s surprising that the claimed weight increase is given as only 10 kg.

Chilli Girl

Wow, that's interesting.  Was aware of some but not all that.  Good. :)
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

shnazzle

That's why I'd only go for a post-2004. Nothing to do with styling or piston design. For a daily that is
...neutiquam erro.

Petrus

Quote from: shnazzle on August 30, 2019, 19:36That's why I'd only go for a post-2004. Nothing to do with styling or piston design. For a daily that is

I am not keen on ´passive safety´and rather prefer a shorter stopping distance.
In the case of the MR Spyder the reinforcements are a moot point because of the vehicle incompatability issue; the hight difference.
Best a post piston ring update, pre fL. ;-)

shiny

I am selling my 2 and buying a Land Rover.

Petrus

Quote from: shiny on August 31, 2019, 07:58I am selling my 2 and buying a Land Rover.

The compatability issue given a brand name.
SUV´s, the real offroaders, pick up trucks etc. are rather a menace to all smaller cars but the lower the worse.
The problem is that the brunt of the impact energy hits abóve the structures designed to disperse the collission energy.
Best active safety and avoid the impact:
1. Assume that they have not seen you.
2. They ALWAYS have right of way.
3. Never mind; dof your imaginary hat and smíle...

Ardent

You forgot to mention the addition of an invisibility cloak in post one.
As you clearly point out, in point 1, post 5.

Petrus

Quote from: Ardent on August 31, 2019, 08:41You forgot to mention the addition of an invisibility cloak in post one.
As you clearly point out, in point 1, post 5.

There is a bit of a weírd issue with that. Nobody éver notices you, unless they are the plod.
As on a motorbike a loud exhaust on the Spyder is arguably self preservation: Nów other road user dó notice you, but unfortunately safety is only an issue for the State if it brings in money so in this case... a FINE!!
Bottom line: Flattened if you don´t, fined if you do.

Petrus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h97Xym-ZTj4

and that is with a none too large SUV vs not all thát small/low smaller car...

Tags: