Almost free MR2 project

Started by Captain Vimes, October 1, 2019, 22:50

Captain Vimes

We picked up a project over the summer, some of you may have seen the ad on here:

https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=67715.0

The plan is to bring it back to roadworthy condition with my son to help him learn about basic car mechanics.

Here's what it started like:

You cannot view this attachment.

Here it is back at home:

The boys giving it all a clean and figuring out what the new project is

First job was to clean up some surface rust on the floor, treat it and paint it.

Then get the carpet back in.

More to follow...

Captain Vimes

Next it was time to fit the soft top (not as straight forward as we hoped)

Interior plastic back in and carpet washed

Ready for the seats to go back in

Although one of the bolts snapped so that's a job for another day.

Next job was to fit a new battery and turn the key...it started first time and ticked over smoothly. No rattles or tapping and all electrics work.

Next was on to the mechanical bits.

Ardent

I Like where this is going.

Well played.

james_ly

Another ex-VX220 owner migrated over :D
MR2 gone<br />GT86

Topdownman

Looks like things are going well.

When do you hope to get it on the road?
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Captain Vimes

Quote from: james_ly on October  2, 2019, 10:27Another ex-VX220 owner migrated over :D

Hi James! That should be migrated BACK to roc... my history with MR2's goes back a good few years now with my first ever track day in a MK1 (showing my age).

Enjoying your MR2? Have you got a 2zz in it yet?

Captain Vimes

Quote from: Topdownman on October  2, 2019, 11:24Looks like things are going well.

When do you hope to get it on the road?

That depends on how much time my son is willing/able to put in. He's got a lot of study at the moment and I'm trying not to take over...

List of jobs are:

- Fit the new brake discs and pads
- Refit callipers and bleed through new fluid
- Tidy up rear subframe (it's solid but has surface rust)
- Remove pre-cats from the manifold
- Replace the rusty sump
- Identify the cause of power steering fluid leak and repair
- Replace oil and filter
- Fix the snapped seat bolt
- MOT

On the wish list/potential things which may follow once it's on the road:
- check/replace suspension bushes/arms/joints
- new dampers (?)
- paint the brake callipers

So probably another month for the 'must do' list.

james_ly

Quote from: Captain Vimes on October  2, 2019, 12:35
Quote from: james_ly on October  2, 2019, 10:27Another ex-VX220 owner migrated over :D

Hi James! That should be migrated BACK to roc... my history with MR2's goes back a good few years now with my first ever track day in a MK1 (showing my age).

Enjoying your MR2? Have you got a 2zz in it yet?

(y) Still 1ZZ and road tyres - enjoying a cheaper track day experience still chasing down the Elises..
MR2 gone<br />GT86

Topdownman

Not too long to get it fixed then if all goes to plan!

I have spotted a problem though, 3 of you working on it but who gets to drive/ ride in it when its fixed!
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Captain Vimes

No problem on who's going to drive this one... my sons aren't 17 yet so I'll have the pleasure there!

We've made some good progress since the last update.

First was pre-cats and the good news was that they were in perfect condition even after 120k miles on a PFL car! Shame the manifold bolts weren't in better shape.

The bolts holding the heat shield turned to dust when shown a socket. As the manifold will run much cooler without the cats, the heat shield was permanently removed with an angle grinder..

The three amigos came undone ok, well they did with application of some good old fashion brute force and a heat gun, but the threads were pretty mangled. So the studs were tapped to allow fitment of some standard pitch nuts.

The job of gently removing the cats with the use of a steel bar and a hammer was easier then expected and one my son seemed to enjoy!

Captain Vimes

Next job, while we were there was to address the rear subframe. I quick prod with a screwdriver and hammer revealed the rust to be surface only and the structure itself was solid.

Out with the wire brush, a liberal application of kurust and 3 coats of hammerite and it's looking a lot better.

Before:

After:

Chilli Girl

Well done to you all for bringing this little 2 back to life.  I love seeing cars "made better" again especially these awesome little cars.  A very good read. :)
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

Captain Vimes

On to the engine...

Time for an oil and filter change but the sump was covered in rust so we got a 2nd hand one from a breakers(avoided the Ebay copies from China to ensure a good fit) and pulled the sump. While there it gave an opportunity to inspect the crank and big ends (it's got a crank...).

While there we put a new drive belt on as the old one was looking pretty tired. Left overnight for the sealant to cure before firing up with the new oil.

Then on to the brakes. It came with new pagid discs and pads but with some of the calipers removed and the bolts/bits in a tin. Fortunately all the important bits were there so it was mostly a case of bolting it all back together with the new parts and bleeding the brakes through.

And that's pretty much where we are. The handbrake is only working one side so that'll need looking at. But next job is to focus on the power steering leak. The frunk area isn't looking great and to power steering hoses look like they've been borrowed from the titanic. We can't even get the spare wheel out as the bolt is rusted in place. More angle grinding, rust treatment and repairs to follow...

Captain Vimes

Frunk rust and leaking power steering fluid is now sorted.

The power steering return pipe had so much surface rust that it was leaking where it joined the rubber hose. With the surface rust removed, treated and painted and the addition of some new jubilee clips the leak was fixed for almost nothing.

Now filled with some fresh Ravenol EHPS fluid and it's all working perfectly again.

Repaired power steering pipe:

Frunk area treated and painted:

So the list of jobs complete! Nearly there, final job was to look at why the handbrake wasn't operating on the RHS.

Seats and centre console back out and the problem is not adjustment, the right cable is rusted and seized solid. Petrol tank dropped, cable removed and despite managing to free the cable up a bit its not free enough to use.

Called the local Toyota dealer and they want £104 for just the right cable! Ebay revealed a QH cable available delivered for £21. Hopefully this'll be the final job before the MOT!

Chilli Girl

Great work, bet there aren't many frunks that look as good as that :)
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

Captain Vimes

Thanks. It's a satisfying process, especially as it's all superficial. A little bit of TLC now will hopefully preserve it for many years to come.

Captain Vimes

Handbrake cable replaced and adjusted and car all back in one piece for the first time since we got it.

So that's it, all jobs complete and ready for a clean/polish and the MOT.

Really pleased with how it's turned out and looking forward to getting out for a good drive in it!

Captain Vimes

MOT day today... and it only went and passed!!

The points to note were a loose bolt on the rear suspension leg (not something we touched so a helpful spot!) and the handbrake is weak on the drivers side, not enough to fail but not ideal. It has a new cable that side so it's the calliper at fault. It's been sitting for years so hopefully a bit of use will free it up. If not it'll get a new calliper.

To celebrate the result we treated it to a new air filter. The old one was a genuine Toyota one, as was the oil filter, which suggests that the previous owner(s) took good care of it with good quality parts.

It was great to finally drive it, although flooded roads and pouring rain weren't ideal. Amazed at the feel and grip it had whilst being comfortable over the bumps. It's a great little chassis.

Now we need to decide what to do with it! My eldest son isn't 17 until 2021 and the insurance quote for him is £6000+ so it's no good to him although he's become quite attached to it.

I've got other toys to play with so not sure how much I'll use it.

Watch this space...

Chilli Girl

Brilliant result. When you think what it looked like when you brought it. Credit to you Sir, bet you are well chuffed, well done. :)

Captain Vimes

Well phase 2 of the project is about to begin. What started out as a cheap car and simple project just took an expensive turn..

New koni inserts, top mounts and dust boots all round. So about £1000 worth of parts.

I expect we'll need to add drop links and possibly some bushes and ball joints once it's stripped down but these cars are all about the handling after all and I can't wait to drive it with fresh suspension!

Oh and a new o2 sensor will be going in shortly as well...

Topdownman

Glad to hear you are splashing out on it, I was afraid you were going to sell it!

Will you be changing the springs too? (Either standard or lowering?). I would want new when changing everything else.

Are you going to bring it to Ding Day?
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

shnazzle

Quote from: Topdownman on February 12, 2020, 06:21Glad to hear you are splashing out on it, I was afraid you were going to sell it!

Will you be changing the springs too? (Either standard or lowering?). I would want new when changing everything else.

2nd that. It's definitely my go-to option at the minute so a drive would be great. @thetyrant is close by but not that close :)
...neutiquam erro.

thetyrant

Good choice of dampers i love the Konis on my MR2....and my 130i beemer :D

Shnazzle when weather improves will have to meet up in the middle somewhere so you can have a drive on the Konis :)
Ex-2005 roadster  owner, i will be back :D

Captain Vimes

Quote from: Topdownman on February 12, 2020, 06:21Glad to hear you are splashing out on it, I was afraid you were going to sell it!

The sensible decision is to sell as I already have enough cars, but I had a 1zz turbo SMT years ago and loved it although the whole experience was dominated by the turbo.

I loved my old mk1 MR2 and I always fancied trying a manual mk3 NA with the focus back on the handling instead of the engine. The trouble with this car is it's handling is horrible with the geo clearly wrong and a worrying rattle from the front. So it needs sorting and enjoying at least for a while!

I want it to be a great road car and when the Koni's came up on Facebook I couldn't resist. We're going to keep standard springs so will replace only if needed.

The Arch Bishop

Following with interest! Talk about a resurrection- it looked in a right state before you started!

Tags: