Almost free MR2 project

Started by Captain Vimes, October 1, 2019, 22:50

Topdownman

You are making excellent progress with this, are we going to see you at ShinDing day in it?
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Captain Vimes

Quote from: Topdownman on July 24, 2020, 08:41You are making excellent progress with this, are we going to see you at ShinDing day in it?

Excellent progress? We've had it for nearly a year and I've only put petrol in it once 😭. The rest of the time it's been on axle stands.

Just kidding. It was always about the project as much as driving it and it's been a good opportunity for my son to get some confidence in mechanics.

Hopefully the work is coming to an end now but I suspect it'll have to be sold soon after to make space for a more insurance friendly first car for my son. Hoping to get a few weeks of fun first though!

Unfortunately we can't make the ShinDing, as we're away but would be good if there was something more local (South East) we could join before it goes.

Topdownman

Thats a shame.

Are you going to get a quote for the 2 just to compare with the other options?

The thing that they have going for them is that there is really no depreciation on a 2. If you were going for a newer small car then adding the depreciation to the newer car may balance things up a bit when comparing insurance.

Of course, they might not actually give a quote for the 2 for him!
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Captain Vimes

Quote from: Topdownman on July 24, 2020, 15:16Thats a shame.

Are you going to get a quote for the 2 just to compare with the other options?

The thing that they have going for them is that there is really no depreciation on a 2. If you were going for a newer small car then adding the depreciation to the newer car may balance things up a bit when comparing insurance.

Of course, they might not actually give a quote for the 2 for him!

We got a quote for the 2 but it was over £6k! He's going to get my late fathers Aygo which is closer to £1k to insure. Not as cool or fun as the 2 but it'll be a better car when his mates want a lift..

Back to the engine swap at last as the CV boots finally arrived today. Got out there after dinner and got them fitted.

The grease that came out of one of them was white and runny. Pleased they've been replaced and fresh, proper grease added.

Again, pretty easy to do. Just drop the trailing arm, brake disc and caliper. Cut the old boot off and it all comes apart. There's a circlip on the end of the shaft so pop that off and slide the bearings off.

Clean it all up, put it back together and re-grease it.

Also bought a new tool for the cv boot clip. Great bit of kit. I love having the right tool for the job!

A few pictures.

You cannot view this attachment.

I also replaced the drivers side rear caliper with one from Mr Sloan as the handbrake wasn't great on that side.

Run out of time/light to get it finished. Just need to bleed the new caliper and adjust the handbrake and it's all done. Hoping to get out for a drive tomorrow evening after work!

Captain Vimes

So the car is all back in one piece. The replacement engine from Dick is a peach. Quiet and there's no smell of oil when driving now!

As promised to my son when we started the project we headed over to the Cardrome in Rainham, which is a private road setup where under 17's can learn to drive. We spent about 1.5 hours practicing clutch control, hill starts reverse parking etc. He loved it and the car performed faultlesly.

My son driving it (finally):

Chilli Girl

Suits him!  Pleased all is well with the little 2. ;D
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

m1tch

I do love threads like this :) one thing to note with regards to engine swaps/removal, the engine loom comes out with the engine rather than unplugging it - you just need to remove a few earth cables and just push the ECU connectors through the firewall and the engine and loom drop as one part.

Tags: