Down the Fosse (Leics and Warks)

Started by SV-3, October 2, 2019, 21:34

SV-3

The weather forecast suggested today was going to be the best day for a run out (sandwiched between two weather systems).
So, down the Fosse (accessed from the A5 about 10 miles from home) for a first visit (in the roadster) to Caffeine and Machine (CV37 7NS). This a great place to grab a bite to eat and see a massive range of cars and motorbikes - tends to be quiet during the week and really busy at weekends.
From there just a few miles to Compton Verney House (CV35 9HX) for a different kind of culture altogether -
18th century country mansion - fantastic landscaped grounds (Capability Brown) - numerous art galleries.
Then, via the Warwick bypass and A45, to Listers Toyota Coventry (CV3 4FJ) to purchase some top-up antifreeze - very helpful staff and had a good chat about the MR2's in general.
Headed to home from there - down the A45 for a few miles to its junction with the Fosse - with a slight deviation into Lutterworth to grab something for tea.
To top the day off and fully expecting not to see another roadster - hey presto about 4 miles from home passed a Sable (hood up) in traffic heading south towards Lutterworth. 
'03 Mk3 Chilli Red (Avon ZV7's: 26F/32R)
Sony WX-920BT
"Hardtop Cognoscenti"
"Stock Cubed"
"AirCon Aficionado"
"Keeper of the Beeper"
Ex '88 Mk1b White (Yokohama A539's: 26F/28R)
"Here we all are, rumours and old toffee abound." John Martyn

Joesson

@SV-3
Sounds like a good day out. Your reference to "topping up" with Mr T, (I'm  guessing long life) antifreeze .
If that is the case what is in there is likely past it's best before date and asI understand things should be changed. But, more importantly, where has the antifreeze gone to that you need to replace?
Sounds a little like my scenario, documented on here.Mr T changed the long life coolant without checking the condition of the radiator which subsequently started to leak!
If you still have the OE radiator it is worth a look, at the bottom rear left hand side of the radiator core ( you will need to take out the frunk plastic cover) this is where they seem most prone to corrosion.

Zxrob

Not impressed, I was stuck at work :(

Glad you enjoyed your time

Rob
Adventure before dementia 😁

SV-3

@
Quote from: Joesson on October  3, 2019, 09:14@SV-3
Sounds like a good day out. Your reference to "topping up" with Mr T, (I'm  guessing long life) antifreeze .
If that is the case what is in there is likely past it's best before date and asI understand things should be changed. But, more importantly, where has the antifreeze gone to that you need to replace?
Sounds a little like my scenario, documented on here.Mr T changed the long life coolant without checking the condition of the radiator which subsequently started to leak!
If you still have the OE radiator it is worth a look, at the bottom rear left hand side of the radiator core ( you will need to take out the frunk plastic cover) this is where they seem most prone to corrosion.

@ Joesson
Thanks for the comments/advice.
I've only owned the car for 3 weeks and noticed that the coolant level has stayed permanently at the "Low" mark. I think if it was leaking it would have fallen below that level by now - no sign of leaks under the car - the car stands over drip trays front and back.
However, as part of getting used to this car (I also have a Mk1) I followed your advice and this morning took out the frunk cover and had a good look around the radiator (took a lot of photos as well) - no sign of any leaks. It has also given me the opportunity for a bit of a spring clean - road dirt collecting at the suspension/inner wing surfaces.
So I think I'll top it up and keep monitoring it.
Thought I'd also check the spare wheel - same old story - the clamp screw had corroded itself to the car (had the same problem on a Jaguar S-type battery clamp). Eventually got it free and the wheel out. I fail to understand why the manufacturers keep exposing screw threads to the underside of cars!
Happy motoring.
'03 Mk3 Chilli Red (Avon ZV7's: 26F/32R)
Sony WX-920BT
"Hardtop Cognoscenti"
"Stock Cubed"
"AirCon Aficionado"
"Keeper of the Beeper"
Ex '88 Mk1b White (Yokohama A539's: 26F/28R)
"Here we all are, rumours and old toffee abound." John Martyn

Joesson

@SV-3
Pleased to hear that you don't have a leaking rad. That is where the leaks that I've had and read about on here seem to occur. As for the coolant bottle the level seems to have a mind of it's own and reports on here indicate that this can vary between high and low over varying periods of time and temperature, I believe as long as you are generally above "low" all is at it should be.
Nothing lost taking the frunk plastics out, as you have found it helps you get to know that end of your2. NB your ABS unit support bracket will likely be partly corroded away from the underside. I patched mine up with some sheet metal.
Why manufacturers do what they do I believe is because they are in the business of making money/ cars and not in the business of making maintenance easy. That means the Main Dealer is in a better position to " service" the cars.
I noticed your reference to your mk 1 so I am sure you are in a good position to care for your mk3.
Enjoy.

Tags: