Peter Wright

New EVO out today group test 11 page review of

MR2 Raoadster
Lotus Elan Sprint
Mazda MX5
Smart Roadster

Bit boring but worth £3.70 just to read it

Pete
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

Anonymous

Too far to shops...please summarise

Slacey

Quote from: "Teucer2000"Too far to shops...please summarise
s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  
An excuse to drive the '2 then!   s:D :D s:D
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

What and park next to other idiots....I'll walk!

Anonymous

Well I wouldn't know, I still haven't had my subs copy yet!...

s:x :x s:x  

--H--

Anonymous

Quote from: "Teucer2000"Too far to shops...please summarise

They say the MR2 is the best little roadster if you're want a proper drivers car.  Better than the MX5 in lots of departments.  However they chose to drive the Smart Roadster to drive home in 'cause it was different, and had to leave the Lotus Elan behind, 'cause it had run out of coolant.

They seemed to rate the MR2 rather highly, but they don't half blather on for a while (making it hard to decide what they think is the best).

Slacey

Just picked up a copy, will read it later when the boss 'aint looking!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Don't usually read it, but was impressed with the first review that Craig kindly posted up from my scan a while ago. They loved it, comparing it to the next price range up, the Boxter and the Elise!

Think I might buy a copy of that.......  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Evo
My fave mag, and the reason I bought a 2 about 12 months ago. Go get a copy!

To summarise:

They like the MX-5. They think it's fun, rewarding on the track, and nice to look at. They think the Smart Roadster is expensive, crap gears, bad steering, but cool to look at, fun, and nice enough in the curves. Badly needs more power. They think the MR2 is great. A real drivers car, which rewards pushing hard and driving close to the limit. However, they think that on the track, due to it's superior grip and lack of suspension travel, it's not quite as rewarding as it could be. They think the pre '03 model was a bit more fun.

The Elan? Given that the car is 30 years old, it still beat the MR2 around Bedford Autodrome by 1 millisecond (I'm going from memory here!). It had thin, bicycle like tyres on it, went sideways, blew its coolant, and had to slow right down for the fast curves, but was still a top car. "Go Mr. Chapman" I say.

I did like the difference in lap times between the cars - there was almost 5 seconds between the MX5 and the Smart, and half that between the MX5 and the '2  :-) :-) :-)

Anonymous

Anyone have a scan of the article?  I haven't seen that magazine around these parts.

Anonymous

I don't have the exact article scanned, but lots of useful stuff on http://www.evo.co.uk/

Tags: