Sst for sump removal

Started by wotugonado, October 18, 2019, 12:09

wotugonado

So reading through the manual, it states you need a special service tool to remove the sump. Do I or can I fashion something to use instead?

Are there any steps to removal that aren't obvious?
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

Call the midlife!

Quote from: wotugonado on October 18, 2019, 12:09So reading through the manual, it states you need a special service tool to remove the sump. Do I or can I fashion something to use instead?

Are there any steps to removal that aren't obvious?
I've done it 4 or 5 times now without the SST, just find a wide, thin bladed tool such as a scraper and gently work it in to start breaking the seal. 

I had a load of plastic wedges lying around, the sort you use for packing window frames etc, so put one of those in the first "hole" and move the scraper on a bit until the seal pops.
The retaining screws are made of chocolate so usual care and attention there. If you're refitting it later they're only 10Nm (maybe even 9) so you can imagine how soft they are.
60% of the time it works everytime...

wotugonado

Great thanks, I thought it was going to be a special Allen key or something  :o
I've got loads of scrapers and packers, so i just need to work my way round gently.

Any tips on cleaning off of the old sealant, and what's a good sealant to use to reseal the pan?

Gaz2405

I used a nice sharp chisel.
1zz turbo. Home built and home mapped.

Now 2zz turbo. Home built and home mapped

Build thread https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=67004.0

Carolyn

Use stanley knife blades as a flat scraper for removal.. Finish with a scotch pad.

Dirk Elring Grey sealant.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

wotugonado

wotugonado

Quote from: Carolyn on October 18, 2019, 13:33Use stanley knife blades as a flat scraper for removal.. Finish with a scotch pad.

Lovely thanks, apart from the sealant, everything else I already have.

Another quick question, how long would be acceptable to leave the sump off, outdoors this time of year?

Carolyn

Quote from: wotugonado on October 18, 2019, 13:44
Quote from: Carolyn on October 18, 2019, 13:33Use stanley knife blades as a flat scraper for removal.. Finish with a scotch pad.

Lovely thanks, apart from the sealant, everything else I already have.

Another quick question, how long would be acceptable to leave the sump off, outdoors this time of year?

Not too long.  It will pick up blown about dist and fine grit.  If you can tape a protective sheet over the bottom of the engine, a couple of weeks, I should think.  It's all very oily.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

wotugonado

I think i'll get the new sealant first then and do it all in one go.

Gaz2405

Quote from: wotugonado on October 18, 2019, 13:34
Quote from: Gaz2405 on October 18, 2019, 13:30I used a nice sharp chisel.

For the sealant removal?

Mixture of Stanley knife blade and chisel (brand-new and given a going over with the fine sharpening stone just before too)

Also used the same sealant, really good stuff.
1zz turbo. Home built and home mapped.

Now 2zz turbo. Home built and home mapped

Build thread https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=67004.0

Joesson

This may be of some guidance.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5z1-Dabr2k8

Not sure about turning the engine 180 degrees if it is still in the car! but the guidance studs would help in locating the sump accurately when replacing.

wotugonado

Yeah I know my cars a state, but even so flipping it on its roof's not an option.

Thanks for the link though, I hope to tackle it with the same level of enthusiasm as the guy in the video does, gotta love someone who is happy in their work.

Also, does the sealant really peel off that easy, or has he used a chemical stripper on it first?

Joesson

When "welding the rust" on his Stag my brother did do that, but the engine was out.

Yes, the young Mr Elring was somewhat lacking in displaying his enthusiasm.

Can't offer specific advice on stripping but there is music that goes with that  (I'm told).

wotugonado

Quote from: Joesson on October 18, 2019, 17:11When "welding the rust" on his Stag my brother did do that, but the engine was out.

Yes, the young Mr Elring was somewhat lacking in displaying his enthusiasm.

Can't offer specific advice on stripping but there is music that goes with that  (I'm told).

Lacking in his enthusiasm..... If I looked  for a definition of "can't be bothered"  online, there'd be a link to this video

wotugonado

Just bought some of that sealant.
Gsf has a sale on, just got a tube delivered for £5.50 seems a bit of a bargain to me.

Tags: