TTE exhaust

Started by Zxrob, October 29, 2019, 10:43

Zxrob

Quick question

What material is the TTE exhaust made from, stainless or mild steel

Cheers Rob
Adventure before dementia 😁

Gaz mr-s

Stainless.  (they would've dissolved years ago if not...)   Heavy, & not as well-constructed as most would have believed.

Joesson

With their longevity they must be stainless steel at least the outside, I have read that the internals break up, whether due to corrosion (of mild steel) or heat fatigue I know not.

Zxrob

The reason I ask is, looking at some pics of one on fleebay, areas look as rusty as fook, you would associate that with mild steel not stainless, also some of the welds look poor, anyone got a magnet to try one

Rob

You cannot view this attachment.

Petrus

There is a thread on maintenance subforum with photos of the internals  :o

Joesson

Quote from: Zxrob on October 29, 2019, 10:58The reason I ask is, looking at some pics of one on fleebay, areas look as rusty as fook, you would associate that with mild steel not stainless, also some of the welds look poor, anyone got a magnet to try one

Rob

This link may help explain
https://www.autoanything.com/resources/t304-vs-t409-how-do-these-stainless-steels-differ/

You will know/ see that there are various types of "stainless" steel each have their place but as with most things cost is an important factor.
The discolouration/ rust effect on your exhaust can be a mix of tempering colour, that is the colour a metal goes when heated to specific temperatures. In this case Yellow at 700deg F and Brown at 735deg F, as car exhausts are at around 500- 700 deg F this could be the case. Further contaminates on the exhaust surface will hold airborne crud particles which are baked onto the yellow/ brown tempered surface.
The areas of "rust" on your exhaust are likely the hot spots.
You will likely  find that the "corrosion" you can see can be removed with a Scochbrite pad or similar.

Zxrob

@Joesson

I am aware of the various types of stainless steel, we work with them all the time, there is a big difference between penetration of the protective "oxidation layer" and pure rust, if you look at the cropped image, that looks very much like carbon steel rust to me, hence I asked the original question

Rob

Carolyn

Quote from: Zxrob on October 29, 2019, 14:35@Joesson

I am aware of the various types of stainless steel, we work with them all the time, there is a big difference between penetration of the protective "oxidation layer" and pure rust, if you look at the cropped image, that looks very much like carbon steel rust to me, hence I asked the original question

Rob

I agree that flange isn't stainless.  The rest of it might well be.....
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Zxrob

Quote from: Carolyn on October 29, 2019, 15:01

Rob

I agree that flange isn't stainless.  The rest of it might well be.....

Yeh, possibly is, as I said, a magnet will reveal

Rob

Bossworld

Rob

I had to have a replacement flange welded onto mine.

Call the midlife!

I wouldn't necessarily rely on the magnet test nowadays either, there's a lot of Chinese "stainless" that'll pass the magnet test but it's very poor quality, barely classes as stainless.
60% of the time it works everytime...

Zxrob

Quote from: Call the midlife! on October 29, 2019, 17:26I wouldn't necessarily rely on the magnet test nowadays either, there's a lot of Chinese "stainless" that'll pass the magnet test but it's very poor quality, barely classes as stainless.

Understand and agree with that,  however,  we are talking about the TTE system that is supposed to be the dogs danglies,  it doesn't look that way to me

Rob

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Zxrob on October 29, 2019, 23:24
Quote from: Call the midlife! on October 29, 2019, 17:26I wouldn't necessarily rely on the magnet test nowadays either, there's a lot of Chinese "stainless" that'll pass the magnet test but it's very poor quality, barely classes as stainless.

Understand and agree with that,  however,  we are talking about the TTE system that is supposed to be the dogs danglies,  it doesn't look that way to me

Rob
Indeed, I should've been more explicit that I was meaning in general terms. However it's not the first TTE to be found/sold in that general condition and they usually clean up well with some elbow grease and tin foil.

Admittedly the flanges look like they've been replaced at some point and the heat from welding can alter the properties of stainless as well.
All depends on price against age I suppose, as you've already mentioned the inners don't seem to outlast the shells anyway.

Petrus

Quote from: Zxrob on October 29, 2019, 23:24Understand and agree with that,  however,  we are talking about the TTE system that is supposed to be the dogs danglies,  it doesn't look that way to me

About it being the dogs dangles, well, I am relaitvely new to the MR2 and exhausts is one of my pet peeves so looked into that even befóre I bought one.
I found that yes it was a hallowed sales argument and it does look very good. It was immediately clear to me though that it does not flow any better, to not state worse, than OEM.

I can understand what TTE did with it. Toyota dropped the ball with the sound. So the TTE pot seeks to add looks with a better sound while still passing TüV homologation.
The disappointment from my pov is the ..... euhmmm.... odd construction of the interior.
That observed, it doés do what it is supposed to do; look and sound better.

Though not as rock solid as the OEM muffler, the quality is above average after market. Do be aware that all you see are quite old.

Lastly the TTE badge does have perceived value. It ís a sales argument. Same thing the TRD tag on other products while in itself that is no guarantee whatsoever.

Zxrob

Quote from: Petrus on October 30, 2019, 09:37
Quote from: Zxrob on October 29, 2019, 23:24Understand and agree with that,  however,  we are talking about the TTE system that is supposed to be the dogs danglies,  it doesn't look that way to me

About it being the dogs dangles, well, I am relaitvely new to the MR2 and exhausts is one of my pet peeves so looked into that even befóre I bought one.
I found that yes it was a hallowed sales argument and it does look very good. It was immediately clear to me though that it does not flow any better, to not state worse, than OEM.

I can understand what TTE did with it. Toyota dropped the ball with the sound. So the TTE pot seeks to add looks with a better sound while still passing TüV homologation.
The disappointment from my pov is the ..... euhmmm.... odd construction of the interior.
That observed, it doés do what it is supposed to do; look and sound better.

Though not as rock solid as the OEM muffler, the quality is above average after market. Do be aware that all you see are quite old.

Lastly the TTE badge does have perceived value. It ís a sales argument. Same thing the TRD tag on other products while in itself that is no guarantee whatsoever.

My initial question was askesd based on some I have seen looking rusty in parts, and I mean rust, not surface contamination of stainless steel

You are correct as far as a selling point, most folk would go for TTE as its percieved to be a "factory option", I can understand that and yes if I could find a real good one at the right price I'd probably go for it, thats not to say I wouldnt look at others

A lot of the time we all fall into the trap of a name says everything, not always the case in my experience, especially comeing from a motorbike backgroud

Anyway, its all good banter

Rob

Petrus

Quote from: Zxrob on October 30, 2019, 10:49A lot of the time we all fall into the trap of a name says everything,

Well, ´trap´ is a perception not necessarily correct as brand doés have value.
Take a Rolex.
Very good quality watch but there are comparable quality mechanical offerings at consíderably less. At the moment of reselling though the way more value for money one has a higher cost of ownership.

That is not mentioning modern technology because there are a 100 times more accurate wristwatches for peanuts yet a ´Róóólex´ on the wrist has a image value and a way better Casio F91-W does not.
Trap? Even though I am an avid F91-W fan, I don´t think so. Brand value ís real.

That is the brand added value versus product quality/functionality.

A TTE usually polishing up nicely is an example as well imo.

And then there is táste. Even definitely ´ricer´ stuff can be perceived as fun, thus bé fun ;-)
With hindsight one could make a case for the TTE pot being ricer (tongue in cheek - waiting for my tsurikawa ring - bwahahahaha....).

househead

The TTE might not look good, but it sure sounds good to my ears! I'm not experienced enough in such things to assess the relative quality of it ... sometimes ignorance *is* bliss!

Mine came with my car. If I was shopping around for a new one, I might feel differently because the 2nd hand price of them seems a fair whack vs other potentially more well built options.
2004 Sable Red Edition, TTE Twin Exhaust, Toyosports Manifold

Petrus

Quote from: househead on October 30, 2019, 11:14If I was shopping around for a new one, I might feel differently because the 2nd hand price of them seems a fair whack vs other potentially more well built options.

yet that also is a solid reason to buy one.

The ´best´ choice depending on what you are looking for.

househead

Quote from: Zxrob on October 30, 2019, 10:49A lot of the time we all fall into the trap of a name says everything, not always the case in my experience, especially comeing from a motorbike backgroud

I think this is true for many things. Manufacturers and service providers will work well and hard to produce a good product in order to obtain a name for themselves. Unfortunately once gained, some will rely on that name (and the fanboyism that goes with it) to sell and start to cut costs and corners. I'm not saying TTE have done that here but it's a pretty common modus operandi.
2004 Sable Red Edition, TTE Twin Exhaust, Toyosports Manifold

shnazzle

I do love the sound of the TTE. it's quite unique. 
You don't hear many 4-potters that sound like an MR2 with a TTE exhaust. 
You do pay a price. It's heavy, flow is suboptimal and frankly the insides look like the work of a plumber, not an exhaust manufacturer. But, it kinda works. 
It gives the MR2 that fruity burble without massive penalties on a stock car. Unfortunately once you start to uprate performance, it has to go. 

I bought mine for 220 about 3 years ago I think, which was a decent price. Not too much. Not too little. And it was in very good nick. I wouldn't pay much more than that though, even then. Especially that I now know the technical details of it, I'd be hard-pushed to spend 220. I'd rather spend more and go custom.
...neutiquam erro.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: shnazzle on October 30, 2019, 12:11I do love the sound of the TTE. it's quite unique.
You don't hear many 4-potters that sound like an MR2 with a TTE exhaust.
You do pay a price. It's heavy, flow is suboptimal and frankly the insides look like the work of a plumber, not an exhaust manufacturer. But, it kinda works.
It gives the MR2 that fruity burble without massive penalties on a stock car. Unfortunately once you start to uprate performance, it has to go.

I bought mine for 220 about 3 years ago I think, which was a decent price. Not too much. Not too little. And it was in very good nick. I wouldn't pay much more than that though, even then. Especially that I now know the technical details of it, I'd be hard-pushed to spend 220. I'd rather spend more and go custom.
But if you'd never seen the inside of one you'd still have the original opinion, much like sosiges, I likes a good sosig but not many people want to see them being made...

And I'd be the first to agree you can't beat the burble from a standard car with a TTE, especially going steadily though a little village or between dry stone walls. Beats mine, Mike K's and even Tomaky's porker with the valves open.

Petrus

Quote from: Call the midlife! on October 30, 2019, 13:16much like sosiges, I likes a good sosig but not many people want to see them being made...

Untill quite recently did that all in-house.
From breeding the pata-negra to sausages et al.

Petrus

Quote from: Call the midlife! on October 30, 2019, 13:16And I'd be the first to agree you can't beat the burble from a standard car with a TTE, especially going steadily though a little village or between dry stone walls. Beats mine, Mike K's and even Tomaky's porker with the valves open.

What about a thread with exhaust soúnds?
Start up.
Pottering about through built up area.
Flooring it through the gears.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Petrus on October 30, 2019, 13:40
Quote from: Call the midlife! on October 30, 2019, 13:16And I'd be the first to agree you can't beat the burble from a standard car with a TTE, especially going steadily though a little village or between dry stone walls. Beats mine, Mike K's and even Tomaky's porker with the valves open.

What about a thread with exhaust soúnds?
Start up.
Pottering about through built up area.
Flooring it through the gears.

Trouble is you can never get a decent recording that accurately portrays the sound, not without proper equipment.

Carolyn

Noisy, noisy children.

Go sit in the corner and be quiet! ;)
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Tags: