TTE exhaust

Started by Zxrob, October 29, 2019, 10:43

MisterK

Came to this thread a bit late.  I had to have my TTE exhaust removed and opened up by Rogue Motorsport last June to identify & cure a nasty rattle from within the silencer.  Here are the photo's of the interior.  The pipes which pass through the silencer are surrounded by a wire wool material and the remaining space is then packed with fibreglass 'insulation' type material which is in 3" squares.
We identified that the welds holding the pipes which exit the exhaust inside the silencer had come loose and caused the rattle.  These were welded back so are now solid.  The fibreglass material was removed from the silencer, so its only the 'wire wool' which is doing any sound deadening.  The outside of the silencer was welded back on and the whole system fitted back to the car.
What a result... no more rattle and the sound from the exhaust is far superior to what it was before, even though I was happy enough as it was  ;)  It's now a bit louder & just about right in my opinion, with a fantastic tone & sound.

After opening silencer
You cannot view this attachment.

Material inside

After welding and before panel reattached

Panel welded back on before exhaust refitted
MARK K - Original Owner/ \'Best In Class\' winner, \'Show n Shine\', MR2DC National Event 2017.

Bossworld

Quote from: shnazzle on November  2, 2019, 16:43
Quote from: Bossworld on November  2, 2019, 16:23
Quote from: shnazzle on November  2, 2019, 15:48I have to say...
I'm tempted...

It totally defeats the purpose of what you're trying to do Joe but for 275... That looks like a decent exhaust aimed at flow.

https://www.malianexhausts.com/product/toyota-mr2-spyder-1-8-race-catback-performance-stainless-steel-exhaust-system/

I wonder how much louder it could be compared to what I have now

Facebook posts suggest not as loud as the TTE.
Well....

That makes one ponder.
Might be another tte for sale soon :)

Sorry Pat hadn't clicked your link. The single is allegedly quite loud, the TTE replica quieter

shnazzle

Quote from: Bossworld on November  2, 2019, 17:36
Quote from: shnazzle on November  2, 2019, 16:43
Quote from: Bossworld on November  2, 2019, 16:23
Quote from: shnazzle on November  2, 2019, 15:48I have to say...
I'm tempted...

It totally defeats the purpose of what you're trying to do Joe but for 275... That looks like a decent exhaust aimed at flow.

https://www.malianexhausts.com/product/toyota-mr2-spyder-1-8-race-catback-performance-stainless-steel-exhaust-system/

I wonder how much louder it could be compared to what I have now

Facebook posts suggest not as loud as the TTE.
Well....

That makes one ponder.
Might be another tte for sale soon :)

Sorry Pat hadn't clicked your link. The single is allegedly quite loud, the TTE replica quieter
Ah OK. Shame :(

I don't really want louder sadly. 
Was figuring out the finances in my mind for a moment there haha
...neutiquam erro.

Ardent

Perhaps the turbo doing its thing. But I consider my tte zorst very sociable.
There but not there. Like well applied make up.

shnazzle

Quote from: Ardent on November  2, 2019, 19:47Perhaps the turbo doing its thing. But I consider my tte zorst very sociable.
There but not there. Like well applied make up.
Turbo's one of the best exhaust silencers :) 

So you're at an advantage
...neutiquam erro.

Petrus

Quote from: shnazzle on November  2, 2019, 20:48Turbo's one of the best exhaust silencers :)

So you're at an advantage

Quite; go single exit Malian and enjoy the liberated flow with the turbo muffling bonus.

Petrus

Quote from: MisterK on November  2, 2019, 16:51You cannot view this attachment.

I am re-aghasted...
The bends and transitions are bad enough, but that T-joint tops it.

It makes a mockery of ´sports´ and any money spent on upgrading the pump at any other point.

Ardent

Too fond of the tte tips to give them up and I really like twin pipes.
The box they attach to though. That's another matter.

Ardent

@mr2noob
 It WAS a dealer's option, right?
most certainly was

Ardent

Quote from: Petrus on November  2, 2019, 21:20

I am re-aghasted...

It makes a mockery of ´sports´ and any money spent on upgrading the pump at any other point.
Taking the above on board.
Rather than starting from scratch. Is it reasonable, a competent zorst fabricator should be able to open up the box, re-design the plumbing for better effeiency and re-seal?
I say this simply because I really like the twin exit and TTE tips.

Petrus

Quote from: mr2noob on November  2, 2019, 23:50I'm pretty much limited to TTE (unless I want to bother with homologations and sheet) since it was a dealer's option and thus OEM. It WAS a dealer's option, right?

I swap back to OEM before MoT.

Also, because the exhaust is totally hidden from sight, there is not going to me an issue as long as it sounds not too loud.
Most TTEs áre an issue here as the over time increased sound raises eyebrows and owners need to produce the dealer option info.

Petrus

Quote from: Ardent on November  3, 2019, 10:34
Quote from: Petrus on November  2, 2019, 21:20

I am re-aghasted...

Taking the above on board.
Rather than starting from scratch. Is it reasonable, a competent zorst fabricator should be able to open up the box, re-design the plumbing for better effeiency and re-seal?
I say this simply because I really like the twin exit and TTE tips.

Yes, that is possible but modifying an exhaust is grounds for rejection.
You´d be better off with the Malian twin tip. That does not look molested and does not attract attention on grounds of sound whereas the TTE might.
If you want to be OCD then engrave or stamp the OEM homologation number in the Malian pot.

In retrospect I would have gone Malian single exit and do the MoT swap.

Petrus

Quote from: Ardent on November  3, 2019, 10:34Is it reasonable, a competent zorst fabricator should be able to open up the box, re-design the plumbing for better effeiency and re-seal?

To the point:
Yes; just needs to cut the T-joint out.
Re-wrap the perforated pipes ofcourse when it is open.

Ardent

Anyone used powerflow exhuasts for some custom work?

Petrus

To lighten up the mood if needed:

Am at the coast with Málaga love. She is getting ready for us to have lunch at the beach; in a playful mood jumping rope with an electric cord in the nude.
She stops when she sees the dissected TTE entrails. Shocked. She is a totally a-technical person but thát she gets.
Her antics interrupted she stepped on the cord; now her ladyshave does not work anymore.
I blame the TTE for that ofcourse; if it where better she would  have continued the show ánd shaved...

Ardent

Ardent

I think that would be it. I had 2 pages but missing one you have found. Result.

Petrus

Quote from: mr2noob on November  3, 2019, 16:11Btw., if I remember correctly, TTE is louder than Fox, right?

When as new it should not be.

Petrus

Quote from: mr2noob on November  3, 2019, 16:30
Quote from: Petrus on November  3, 2019, 16:21When as new it should not be.

I thought Fox were quieter? And from what I see they come with ABE so don't even need to be written in car's papers.

They conform to the same norm as the TTE so they should be as quiet. May very well be that the Fox ones are of better internal construction and unlike the TTE do not get louder over time.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Petrus on November  3, 2019, 16:34
Quote from: mr2noob on November  3, 2019, 16:30
Quote from: Petrus on November  3, 2019, 16:21When as new it should not be.

I thought Fox were quieter? And from what I see they come with ABE so don't even need to be written in car's papers.

They conform to the same norm as the TTE so they should be as quiet. May very well be that the Fox ones are of better internal construction and unlike the TTE do not get louder over time.
I have a Fox fitted to mine and prior to the rest of my mods it was no louder than the TTEs I've been out with, the TTE on a standard setup isn't necessarily loud anyway just very distinctive and burbles nicely.
60% of the time it works everytime...

markiii

Quote from: mr2noob on November  3, 2019, 16:01
Quote from: Ardent on November  3, 2019, 15:51I think that would be it. I had 2 pages but missing one you have found. Result.

Also found this:
https://www.supercars.net/blog/2001-toyota-mr2-tte-concept/

It's so ugly it's beautiful. I would much rather have this than KTM Crossbow.

We had that on the ROC stand at JAE the year before TTE launched their turbo kit
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Ardent

Quote from: Call the midlife! on November  3, 2019, 16:37the TTE on a standard setup isn't necessarily loud anyway just very distinctive and burbles nicely.
Spot on.

Ardent

@mr2noob
Just in case it gives some more leaverage.

Bossworld

I think with the links to the homologation docs and TTE brochure yesterday, it probably makes sense for me to stick with the TTE.  I keep giving the Malian some thought (especially as eBay is running 10% off) but I've got some misgivings based on Facebook postings and how loud it could be. 

Nothing against any particular seller and the person who's been mentioned a few times previously is very quick and courteous with his replies.

Petrus

What do you want to achieve with a muffler swap?

Better sound? Go TTE.
Better flow? Don´t go TTE.
Better looks? Pick you choice.

Tags: