TheTyrants 1zz Turbo - and not turbo now!

Started by thetyrant, November 4, 2019, 12:42

thetyrant

Quote from: Nvy on April 13, 2020, 08:53Price wise 2zz and your bottom end fully built will run the same money. Building the engine will ensure that you have everything brand new and wont rely on luck for the 2zz engine.

Indeed and I have a chance of a rebuilt 2zz which is the one im pondering, im not sure i would risk a used one these days
Ex-2005 roadster  owner, i will be back :D

Nvy

Quote from: thetyrant on April 13, 2020, 08:59
Quote from: Nvy on April 13, 2020, 08:53Price wise 2zz and your bottom end fully built will run the same money. Building the engine will ensure that you have everything brand new and wont rely on luck for the 2zz engine.

Indeed and I have a chance of a rebuilt 2zz which is the one im pondering, im not sure i would risk a used one these days

Matt is reputable around here if I am connecting the name to the forum profile correctly. So Id buy with confidence if you are not in the turbo stuff. I am not going for crazy numbers and decided to keep my 1zz because the 2zz is rly hard to register.

Alex Knight

Quote from: thetyrant on April 13, 2020, 08:59

I'd personally steer clear of a rebuilt 2ZZ by *anyone* due to the MMC bores.

Best bet is to buy a car with a 2ZZ in it, the best you can find and drive it for a few weeks to asses long term viability.

thetyrant

Quote from: Nvy on April 13, 2020, 09:12Matt is reputable around here if I am connecting the name to the forum profile correctly. So Id buy with confidence if you are not in the turbo stuff. I am not going for crazy numbers and decided to keep my 1zz because the 2zz is rly hard to register.

Yes Matts is one im looking at as a possible, i love the turbo power delivery but starting to wonder if NA is going to be better for me for track use... if they ever reopen!  i bought the car initially to 2zz swap but had a fun year at stock power getting used to the chasses and sorting other bits on car before starting to look for power, then i got chance of turbo kit so i thought i would try it but my engine seems a bit far gone to be pushing it though :(

Only issue i have with rebuilding 1zz is i know im going to get carried away and sink silly money into it, also i have no good local machine shops so bit of traveling for that which all adds to hassle expense, its an option though.

thetyrant

Quote from: Alex Knight on April 13, 2020, 09:40I'd personally steer clear of a rebuilt 2ZZ by *anyone* due to the MMC bores.

Best bet is to buy a car with a 2ZZ in it, the best you can find and drive it for a few weeks to asses long term viability.

I am very wary due to this and going through details of whats been done with Matt.

thetyrant

Got the rest of turbo bits off today and then stock exhaust/cat and intake etc fitted, its still got Link ecu with  wideband and larger injectors etc in there as they can stay on till i work out what im doing. Its quite a bit of work to remove the ECU as i have to swap back the complete engine harness which is a fiddly job!.

Gave here a quick fire up to see if i missed anything and all was good, just a bit noisy as not got any crush rings between cat and manifold!, should have some new ones this week then at least its driveable until i make a decision on next plan of action!

Depending how long lockdown lasts I might be tempted to change the valve stem seals and see how she runs in short term, i just need to motivate myself!

thetyrant

Got new oem exhaust gaskets from Steve at GT4play and all fitted last night, quick test drive to shops and i was both pleased and unhappy to see that its still smoking when blipping throttle etc, in some ways i was hoping it wouldnt and engine was ok, but on other side it confirms it wasnt the turbo causing the smoke!  Feels very slow in comparison to driving it couple of days before!

Turbo kit is now provisionally sold to another member on here, just need to remove the Link ecu/wideband etc and swap back over engine harness, ordered a new cheap sump off ebay as this one with oil return is to remove again! as its  going with rest of kit.

Its been a shorter experience than i hoped with a turbo 1zz but what i have done ive really enojoyed, transforms the car and even at low boost ive been running so far was a proper little flying machine :D

Ive got some valve stem seals coming and going to change them to help reduce oil smoke/usage and make a plan what to do next, i might still go 2zz or possibly just leave it stock and use as my daily over summer and swap my BMW daily for something else for interesting instead, we will see as nothing much can happen until after lockdown anyhows!

Carolyn

Quote from: thetyrant on April 16, 2020, 13:34Got new oem exhaust gaskets from Steve at GT4play and all fitted last night, quick test drive to shops and i was both pleased and unhappy to see that its still smoking when blipping throttle etc, in some ways i was hoping it wouldnt and engine was ok, but on other side it confirms it wasnt the turbo causing the smoke!  Feels very slow in comparison to driving it couple of days before!

Turbo kit is now provisionally sold to another member on here, just need to remove the Link ecu/wideband etc and swap back over engine harness, ordered a new cheap sump off ebay as this one with oil return is to remove again! as its  going with rest of kit.

Its been a shorter experience than i hoped with a turbo 1zz but what i have done ive really enojoyed, transforms the car and even at low boost ive been running so far was a proper little flying machine :D

Ive got some valve stem seals coming and going to change them to help reduce oil smoke/usage and make a plan what to do next, i might still go 2zz or possibly just leave it stock and use as my daily over summer and swap my BMW daily for something else for interesting instead, we will see as nothing much can happen until after lockdown anyhows!
Has it has a new PCV valve in your ownership?
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

thetyrant

Quote from: Carolyn on April 16, 2020, 13:48Has it has a new PCV valve in your ownership?

No ive not fitted one and looking back through the history i cant see its had one so presume original, i have given it a basic test and seems ok also have a extra 1way valve in the PCV line due to turbo so hopefully all is good there, i will pop PCV out again though and give it another check, probably worth replacing it anyhows ?

Carolyn

Quote from: thetyrant on April 16, 2020, 18:52
Quote from: Carolyn on April 16, 2020, 13:48Has it has a new PCV valve in your ownership?

No ive not fitted one and looking back through the history i cant see its had one so presume original, i have given it a basic test and seems ok also have a extra 1way valve in the PCV line due to turbo so hopefully all is good there, i will pop PCV out again though and give it another check, probably worth replacing it anyhows ?

There's no simple way to check it. The spring tension has to be spot on and the spring loses tension over time.  It's a 30,000 mile item.

However - it does seem like a quite worn engine.  My local post office is not in operation, but I'll get the valve spring tool and  seals out to you tomorrow.

thetyrant

Quote from: Carolyn on April 16, 2020, 18:59There's no simple way to check it. The spring tension has to be spot on and the spring loses tension over time.  It's a 30,000 mile item.

However - it does seem like a quite worn engine.  My local post office is not in operation, but I'll get the valve spring tool and  seals out to you tomorrow.

Ok thanks, no panic on the tool/seals as ive got plenty to be doing in meantime so just when your next passing an open PO is fine, dont make a special trip and put yourself at risk

thetyrant

Well thats the car totally back to stock and after finishing swapping over engine harness and injectors this morning,  fired up first turn of the key and sat idling nicely with no error codes... so far :)  will pop down to shops in a mo to pick up some essentials and make sure its running as it should and if so im going to order up a new PCV valve as a treat for its good behavior :) as in  still working after ive totally ripped out all its veins and refitted a different set :D

New sump has arrived from ebay this morning and looks ok, thats last part to swap over when i can build up motivation!

Carolyn

Quote from: thetyrant on April 17, 2020, 11:44Well thats the car totally back to stock and after finishing swapping over engine harness and injectors this morning,  fired up first turn of the key and sat idling nicely with no error codes... so far :)  will pop down to shops in a mo to pick up some essentials and make sure its running as it should and if so im going to order up a new PCV valve as a treat for its good behavior :) as in  still working after ive totally ripped out all its veins and refitted a different set :D

New sump has arrived from ebay this morning and looks ok, thats last part to swap over when i can build up motivation!

Valve tool and seals are on their way.

Tags: