Suspension upgrade for road use

Started by MVV, December 18, 2019, 23:24

jvanzyl

Quote from: Joesson on January  8, 2020, 17:17@jvanzyl , Thanks for that John, the bushes in the link you provided seem to be rubber as opposed to the poly material often referred to for replacements.
Whenever I've read reports about the poly bush replacement and subsequent ride it is generally considered to be firm. I'm guessing that these rubber bushes will be nearer to OE, that would better suit me.

Yeah I think going with rubber in this instance is better as it's a road car. Having been down the poly route it's terrific having the responsiveness and telemetry  - but if it were a bit more compliant to the road that'd be even better.

Ardent

@jvanzyl

I admit i need to re-read properly and follow the links.
But to echo @Joesson, can you confirm the "polybush" set is actually rubber and not the much firmer "poly"

I have not desire for bone jarring ride, but would love to freshen up 15? year old bushes.
Mr T do not sell the bushes, need to buy the whole arm/bar/strut whatever they called.

If what you ref to is stock like. I'm in.

househead

As I understand it, the poly bush set is polyurethane. The OEM bushes are rubber. I think John was just using that diagram so he could explain what bushes go where?

I read it as the poly bushes are a "like for like" replacement. Same size, same bushes, just a different (harder) material, right?

I would expect sets of bushes in both materials to be available, though I gather Toyota might not sell all of them and we might have to use aftermarket suppliers.
2004 Sable Red Edition, TTE Twin Exhaust, Toyosports Manifold

Ardent

Have gone back and re read it slower.

Got it now.
@househead Yes, the pic is for location purposes. The link is meat on the bone. 1st time I have come across these.
Be nice if simply did a kit with the lot.
Kit A inc front arms/bushes
Kit B sans

Joesson

My understanding is that the bushes 7P and 7Q can be replaced by complete replacement of the (Yaris) wish bones. The bushes alone may or may not be available from EU as the link, dimensional details of the OE wish bones and of the bushes would be necessary, but would you want the trouble of pressing them in and out and refurbishing the wish bone rather than replacing?
7R are the drop links, which as John says, are usually scrap and need replacement.
7T and 7V are the control arms and again the bushes from EU may or may not fit, dimensions need checking.
7S and 7W the anti roll bar bushes are out of stock on the EU site!
Unfortunately, as is often the case life is not straightforward.

jvanzyl

Diagram was purely for reference.

I'm advocating  using rubber bushes over polys- but you'll need to shop around to find them. It's not the end of the world to use polys over rubber. And different suppliers can provide different levels of stiffness.

For £40 it's totally worth replacing the front control arms as a whole unit as they come with the bushes.

Have a look at super pro and white line.

Ardent

I have always held off replacing the front Arms on the basis, if I replaced the front, I need to sort the rear and it has always been the rear that has caused the most problems through lack of replacement bushes.

This years project perhaps.

Ardent

Will have to leave that to someone else.
Not on FB.

Gaz mr-s

Ardent

Joesson

I couldn't get the link for the wishbones to work.
Have found this
https://www.energizedcustoms.co.uk/for-toyota-yaris-1999-2006-lower-front-wishbones-suspension-arms-pair-68041.html#prodreview

They are UK based and offer a pair for £43.95. Not sure of any delivery cost.

What was price in the other link?

Ardent

Quote from: Joesson on January  8, 2020, 22:21I couldn't get the link for the wishbones to work.
Have found this
https://www.energizedcustoms.co.uk/for-toyota-yaris-1999-2006-lower-front-wishbones-suspension-arms-pair-68041.html#prodreview

There is a bit of me that thinks who cares. Whatever the delivery, it has got to cheaper and quicker than ordering from the states where some have had to go. (as i understand)

Well found Sir. Cap duly doffed.

Edit
In the non too distant past, I had bit of a hang up about, will the sure or shure  rating of the rubber bush be correct.
I'm past that now.
I'm now, more of the opinion, fresh, will be better than 15 years old.

Ardent

Ok. Here we go again.

Caveat - I am not doubting validity of the parts in question.
But.

In the pursuit of information - clarity - knowledge etc.

The Yaris part = 48069 - 09040
The 2 Part     = 48069 - 19156

So what is the difference? Is there a difference? Is it simply to help Toyota differentiate? (doubt it)
Is the size all matching but difference is the sure/shure rating of the rubber?

Alway more questions than answers.

Ardent

Is a yaris heavier than a 2?
If so, would that make the yaris bushes stiffer to account for the extra weight?
If that is so, would that go some way to making the 2 taughter, if still rubber a bit stiffer without the full fat poly option?

Gaz mr-s

Joesson

The Yaris part = 48069 - 09040 according to a Chinese manufacturer is suitable for use on the following vehicles.

Toyota Urban Cruiser
Toyota Verso S
Toyota Yaris

I will check the weights of these vehicles, but it would seem that the vehicle weight is not a critical issue for this component.

Carolyn

One has to understand that much of the Roadster is a 'parts-bin' car.  Many components, including little ones, like the engine, are common to an international range of cars.  I put American Scion A-arms on my car, and they are great.  The same A arms do for other cars as well, including the Yaris.

I can't imagine that Toyota went to the expense of ordering up different rubber specs for different small cars. 

Parts for our cars that are very specific, are ones dictated by the mid-engine layout, the power steering for instance.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Bossworld

Quote from: Joesson on January  8, 2020, 22:21I couldn't get the link for the wishbones to work.
Have found this

I fitted the EnergizedCustoms ones last year.  Been fine.  On their eBay outlet (free postage) they had two types, one of which was about £8 more expensive (I paid £39.55 according to my emails).  Ordered the cheaper ones and they arrived with the sticker / part number of the more expensive ones.  Seems a lot of eBay sellers have multiple listings and just hope you 'buy now' on the first one you land on.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332659560803

tets

I've fitted Energised Custom Yaris arms, ebay anti roll bar bushes and new drop links from ebay (they probably won't come with the middle washer so you'll need to use the original)
All fit well but it's still in the unit so haven't driven it yet
There's a groupon deal at the minute for a garage round the corner from me that will do a 4 wheel alignment for £20 so am going to give them a go - if they're rubbish it's not the end of the world at £20

Carolyn

Quote from: tets on January  9, 2020, 12:54I've fitted Energised Custom Yaris arms, ebay anti roll bar bushes and new drop links from ebay (they probably won't come with the middle washer so you'll need to use the original)
All fit well but it's still in the unit so haven't driven it yet
There's a groupon deal at the minute for a garage round the corner from me that will do a 4 wheel alignment for £20 so am going to give them a go - if they're rubbish it's not the end of the world at £20
Which roll bar bushes did you use? cheers!
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Petrus

Quote from: MVV on December 18, 2019, 23:24Did a search but didn't find what I want to know. So I will never drive on a track. I live in a super quiet bit of England with empty roads- E Cumbria. I've just put Yoko  AD08Rs on last summer and they have made the car a bit stiffer. What do folk suggest that will stop the roll without making my fillings drop out?

Going back to the original post:

Just went for a 100 km. fun drive over B-roads through the andalucian mountains under a clear blue sky.
With sub zero nights and the olive harvest at full bore, the roads cán be a bit tricky with black ice in perma-shade and dry mud in just about any corner.
Also, although generally roads are very well maintained, there are tarred over croack and ruts, patched frost damage either, sometimes the patch part gone again.
Bottom line; GRÉAT roads with real world circumstances.

Had charming company in the passenger seat so the crutches juggled behind the seats. Pushed them tight so they wouldn´t rattle.

Standard OEM, as innever replaced anything. Just the springs cut down a bit to compensate for the lighter car; lowering it to stock ride hight again.
As for bracing, only the front struts, belly pan and Dev´s.
Yes, the lighter Enkeis, those dó make a difference.

Ok, so did not flóg it, kept it sensible on the straight bits, but did seriously push it through corners; on the traction limits of warmed up AD08s.
Goes like stink, tracks true. No rattles, no complaints about comfort from the passsenger. Mind, that is with the grp race buckets!
No problem with ´roll´.

My question to the original poster is what problem he percieves with ´roll´. Weight transfer on initial turn in, body lean mid corner, wallowing or float at speed, or?

jvanzyl

Quote from: tets on January  9, 2020, 13:09Which roll bar bushes did you use? cheers!

I used these ones Carolyn
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-NEW-J72049YMT-YAMATO-FRONT-ANTI-ROLL-BAR-STABILISER-BUSH-KIT-I-OE-REPLACEMENT/401611143673?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
[/quote]

Those look a bit different to my poly bushes.. can anyone say what the difference is compared to oem? Heck if they work then no worries, it's just that I'd assume there'd be a lip that the collar would fit within to keep it in place.

tets

Quote from: jvanzyl on January  9, 2020, 13:36
Quote from: tets on January  9, 2020, 13:09Which roll bar bushes did you use? cheers!

I used these ones Carolyn
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-NEW-J72049YMT-YAMATO-FRONT-ANTI-ROLL-BAR-STABILISER-BUSH-KIT-I-OE-REPLACEMENT/401611143673?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Those look a bit different to my poly bushes.. can anyone say what the difference is compared to oem? Heck if they work then no worries, it's just that I'd assume there'd be a lip that the collar would fit within to keep it in place.
[/quote]

It does say it's a generic pic in the ad - I can't rightly remember but I definitely don't remember thinking anything odd about them

Tags: