To drop the tank or not to drop it

Started by Warreng, January 16, 2020, 20:32

Warreng

So after much deliberation and checking on the net I have decided that I will have to drop the fuel tank in order to replace my hand brake cables.
Here is the story of my woes so far:
Firstly it is a case of room in my garage,  it just fits the MR2 and I still need to get to grips with the fact the UK garages are tiny compared to my mansion of a garage I had in south Africa.
Secondly getting the rear of the car up high enough was a problem and after much sweating and swearing because my trolley Jack was too small, and using blocks of wood I opted to borrow a bigger trolley jack from my son. And would you believe it,  it worked.
I have removed the interior and undone the fuel pump pipes on top and loosened the 4 bolts that hold it in place as well as loosening all AC piping around it.
So tomorrow I will undo the filler pipe, and another pipe on the bottom of the tank that goes to ??? Well not to sure will find out tomorrow. By now most of you are saying just drop the one side, but unfortunately I know me and my big hands will get skinned and again after much much swearing I will just end up dropping it hence I  will do it the hard way and save time and swearing.
I will let you know how it goes once it is out and cables are in. I have been taking pictures of the process and will figure out how to load them so anyone else will be able to save time, swearing and sweat in future.
Warren(SAFFA)

jvanzyl

Hey Warren- great that you've got the reader's ride going! Now all we need are pics so we can live vicariously through your struggles and help spend your money on all things MR2 :-)

Re a response to your earlier post there is a fuse you can pull to depressurise the fuel system.. might help a bit..

Oh and just so you know- the title of your readers ride is " To drop the tank or not to drop it" which is very original! ;-)

Warreng

Thanks for the information,  I will look for the fuse.
Pictures to follow as soon I figure out how to do it  ;D

Warren(SAFFA) Gillot

Warreng

PART 2 of To drop the tank or not to drop.

After reading all comments and taking them into consideration,  I pulled EFI fuses, disconnected the battery,  opened the fuel filler cap and made sure the mice box of a garage was well ventilated I started the fun task of replacing my hand brake cables.

I tried my best to drop the tank but alas it was not to be because of the manoeuvres it would take, combined with the lack of work space...so stay in would have to be.
So after wasted time I loosened the passenger side bolts and then with a trolley jack under the driver's side I removed the 2 bolts holding it.  O ce this was done I lowered the fuel tank down on the driver's side moving the pipes out the way to enable me to get access to the 2 retainer bolts. Now bear in mind I had to do it from the small opening by the fuel pump in the car, not much room for hand and head so everything was done by touch. Amazing how we can do that, eyes closed and inaudible swearing under my breath it was done and in turn the new cable was replaced in the same manner.  I really wish the Toyota builders in the east would try and remember us westerns are not built like little Gaisha dolls, we have baseball gloves as hands...as for getting the new rubber boot into place. Man did I curse the land of the rising sun, petty sure the whole of Japan's ears were burning.
Well one down and now the passenger side to do.

Well F me this side was to be a battle and a test of my very thin patience and a test to all the swear words I had learnt will working on ships and in god forsaken places on earth.
So with a longer bolt in place on the driver's side I then proceeded to do the opposite side, removing the 2 bolts and dropping the fuel tank down as much as I could.  The coolant pipe restricts the amount you can drop the tank. It was at this point I had to run to the local tool shop and purchase a ratchet type spanner.  I then pushed and squeezed my hand in and after more swearing and some hand cramps and the cursing the Japanese car makers I got the bolt off behind on top of the tank as well as the side one. I then fed in the new cable and once again cursed the land of the raising sun and there dainty tiny little baby hands. Getting the rubber boot in place was a nightmare but done it was, minus a fair amount of skin on my fingers and hands. I then tried my best to get the retainer clip on top behind the tank on but could not so I opted to leave it out, hope it does not come back to bite me in the proverbial bumbum. Sode clip I  place as well as the 1 before the brake calipers, all bolts holding the tank in place inserted and tightened I called it a day. 2 new cables in, hands raw and lacking a fair amount of skin but job done it was time for beer, copious amounts of beer and a reflection on job will done I hope and if it ever needs to be done again I am taking it to my local garage and they can do it.

Warren (SAFFA) Gillot

Tags: