Stewart's SMT Turbo

Started by lancs_lad, January 28, 2020, 17:31

thetyrant

How is this going ? all still good ?  any pics of the install would be good too :)

Ive rebuilt my engine and ready to boost it again :), despite my concerns on this manifold as mentioned above im tempted to give one a try as easiest way to get a turbo strapped on, i can always change out the manifold further down the line if it does gives issues :)

Ex-2005 roadster  owner, i will be back :D

jvanzyl

Quote from: thetyrant on July 16, 2020, 10:39How is this going ? all still good ?  any pics of the install would be good too :)

Ive rebuilt my engine and ready to boost it again :), despite my concerns on this manifold as mentioned above im tempted to give one a try as easiest way to get a turbo strapped on, i can always change out the manifold further down the line if it does gives issues :)

Second that in terms of the giving that manifold a try... it's basically this or paying for a chinese cast one, or stumping up for a turbokits one..

thetyrant

Quote from: jvanzyl on July 16, 2020, 11:00Second that in terms of the giving that manifold a try... it's basically this or paying for a chinese cast one, or stumping up for a turbokits one..

Its shame there is not more options out there, i was initally planning on turbokits manifold but from what i can see due to angle of mounting flange they are designed to mount the turbo with compressor inlet/outlets at drivers side of car and exhaust on passenger side, i liked the way my SP240 kit (and TTE-T kits) was which was the opposite way around and made packaging pipework in easier, looking at the Malian one it could be used either way around.
Ex-2005 roadster  owner, i will be back :D

lancs_lad

I found the Malian manifold to work fine. You can use a GT 2860 skyline set up, and the intake / exhaust are on the logical sides ie intake on the left. Also Malian do a nice 2.5" downpipe off the shelf with a O2 boss and stock flange location. You cannot view this attachment.

lancs_lad

Final figures - I'll run it like this for a while, can't really push the stock components much further without spending silly money....

Quote from: lancs_lad on November 25, 2020, 15:42Age of Car
2005 SMT

Miles
31k on car, 3k on build

Engine
Stock 1zz block and heads with 31k miles.
CC 3.9kg lightened flywheel
Exedy stage 2 clutch
Stew's special SMT fluid!
Stock fuel pump and regulator

Turbo Mods
Homebrew turbo system comprising :
Mamba GTX2860RS Billet BB .60 .64 Nissan SR20DET style with Stage 3 actuator. 6psi spring.
Malian turbo exh manifold, catless downpipe and single exit 2.5" system (all off the shelf).
HomeBrew w/a chargecooler - eBay radiator, bosch pump, eBay 5x8 barrel cooler. 12" Mishimoto fan.
440 DW Injectors.
MAC 3 port boost control solenoid.
Custom intake, breather system and cone filter.

Electronics
AEM EMS4 with full closed loop O2 control, boost control, knock control. Twin boost settings.
MWR EMS4 SMT harness (extensively modified! ;-) )
AEM AFR Gauge with 4.9 Bosch WB.
Innovate Oil temp / Pressure gauge
AEM Boost Gauge.
Bosch AIT sensor. Factory MAF and AIT also retained for TCU shift calculation.

Specs
240 WHP at 6250, 261Lb Ft at 3300. >225lb ft 3-6.5k
11-13Psi dependent on RPM (high boost)
10Psi flat (low boost)
7400 RPM Redline.

Stock internals seem fine at 260Lb Ft. Map and cam advance optimised for torque whilst keeping injectors at/below 85% duty.

We did one run at 95% duty - 316BHP / 275 Lb Ft! Don't think it would have lasted long at that sort of output.

Mapping by Wayne at Chipwizards in Rossendale.

s12vea

Impressive numbers, bet the car drives nicely and proper quick. I had a smt turbo many years ago now and loved the setup.

Any pictures?
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

lancs_lad

You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.

A few photos -  dyno run (low boost map is first - I've since modified it so its about 240 BHP / 220LbFt for daily use). I've also smoothed out the oscillation caused by the feedback loop from the boost control system.

Turbo set up - just need to finish wrapping the manifold.

Climbing the hill by the Tan Inn...

s12vea

Great setup and I'm sure it catches many other road users out :)
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

Petrus

Quote from: lancs_lad on November 27, 2020, 17:21-  dyno run (low boost map is first - I've since modified it so its about 240 BHP / 220LbFt for daily use).

By Jove that is ... ´nice´. Quite a push at 3k that is!!

Tags: