What tyres for 7x15 rims?

Started by Tamasbako, February 1, 2020, 20:44

Alex Knight

Quote from: Alex Knight on November 17, 2019, 15:06I have fitted some new Yokohama AD08RS (new compound) tyres to the front, and I reckon I noticed a smidge of understeer at low speed, though this may have been the circuit layout in fairness.

For the record, I wrote this a few months ago from my last trackday. It seems consistent with other reports, however I do seem to remember the difference not exactly being earth shattering...

Tamasbako

Got the rims/tyres, had finally a couple of hours this weekend to get them mounted and fitted them afterwards. Not the best pictures as I wanted to take her on a little test drive (just around the block as it's quite chilly) but realized my battery was almost completely drained, so it has to wait a few days until I can get back to it.
Love the look :)

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Joesson

@Tamasbako , those  OZ wheels are " Wizard"!

m1tch

Just as a quick note, I have just changed to 15x7 rims all round, running 195/50/15 front and 225/50/15 rear - the new Toyo TR1 tyres as in those sizes. I believe the ECU takes the drive speed from one of the front ABS sensors rather than the rear so a 195/50/15 front is I believe 1% smaller than stock so the speed won't be out.

inside

You can get R888, Federal RSRR and RSR, and Nankang NS2R and AR1 in 205/225 combos. I'm on second set of RSRR, and thinking of trying r-comp. semislick AR1 this year.

As for the tire widths with modded 2zz... I love square 205 on road and on track, but on track you're losing seconds. 205/225 improves it, but it's not night and day difference... I still struggle with rear grip on tighter corners. I'm not too fussed about it, because it is such a joy to drive. I could probably squeeze out more grip with more aggressive alignment at the expense of road handling manners... But overall, if less seconds on track is all you care about, then you should go with *at least* 225 rears.

Just my two cents...

Tamasbako

Quote from: Joesson on February  9, 2020, 20:25@Tamasbako , those  OZ wheels are " Wizard"!
Love the OZ wheels... <3, However, the Federal RS-RR are garbage. :(

I mean I love the way they work on the car, but just after ~200kms on regular everyday use I noticed that one back tyre had a long rip on the outside and one front had a smaller rip. And they both are manufacturing issue. Showed it to a LOT of experts and all said it's issue with rubber, not usage or fitment.

Added some photos.

You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.
So I'll try to negotiate with the seller for some kind of solution but I'm not confident in replacing them with Federal tyres. Never had these kind of problem with tyres in my life, especially not after 200km of daily driving. Quite disappointed and wouldn't recommend. Came across a thread showing similar issues with these tyres and most switched to Yokohama, Toyo, Advan instead... that's what I'll do next.

Just wanted to give you an update, might come handy if you're hesitant to get Federals.

Tags: