cheapest way to boost power

Started by kwnelson, February 20, 2020, 16:26

Petrus

Quote from: Bernie on February 20, 2020, 23:04Tweaking a diesel is a completely different matter a simple tuning box @ £359 increased my TT from 170 to 205 BHP

TURBO diesel! Quite a difference.

Petrus

@op

Have a browse through Belle´s thread on reader´s rides.

I deleted a lót of stuff. Have some 10-15% more oompf pushing 15% less weight. The oomph was cheap, most weight was for free. The process as much fun as the result  ;D

Ardent

So 26 posts later.

Calling KWnelson, come in Kwnelson.

househead

Quote from: Ardent on February 20, 2020, 23:56So 26 posts later.

Calling KWnelson, come in Kwnelson.

What odds will you give me that they're outside painting that stripe? :D
2004 Sable Red Edition, TTE Twin Exhaust, Toyosports Manifold

Chriss

A cheap 800 pound 2zz engine, a new manifold and exhaust and a few mates with space to work and you swap the engine yourselves, keep the 5 speed. This is the cheapest way to get a BHP boost. It is not the right way but it is the cheapest.

s12vea

Unless you are going forced induction I would just focus on refresh suspension, geo and good branded tyres all round with correct stagger and pressure.
The above would have more of impact. 
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Chriss on February 21, 2020, 00:44A cheap 800 pound 2zz engine, a new manifold and exhaust and a few mates with space to work and you swap the engine yourselves, keep the 5 speed. This is the cheapest way to get a BHP boost. It is not the right way but it is the cheapest.
If you can meet all those criteria you're probably right with this, if lift is your thing, this route does tick a lot of boxes.
60% of the time it works everytime...

Joesson

I do recall a certain TV motoring programme presenter, one of a trio, at one time suggesting that the fun starts at around 100 bhp(/ tonne)!

Petrus

Quote from: Joesson on February 21, 2020, 09:09I do recall a certain TV motoring programme presenter, one of a trio, at one time suggesting that the fun starts at around 100 bhp(/ tonne)!

How much was he referring to? Long tonne, short tonne, kilos, pounds, stones?

Joesson

@Petrus , my understanding is that a ton refers to 2240 lbs in the UK somewhat less in the USA and that is where the long and short ton reference came from. The tonne in my understanding is 1000kg around 2200 lb in real money.  Please don't start on about weight and force!
In the UK we have been trying to adopt a System Internationale ( SI system , that most call a metric system) since the early 1970's with varying success, I believe it's a generational thing. I am of a generation that was educated in measurement's that included rods, poles, pecks, stones, chains, furlongs not to mention feet inches miles and metres, litres , kilograms and parts or multiples thereof!

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Joesson on February 21, 2020, 12:22@Petrus , my understanding is that a ton refers to 2240 lbs in the UK somewhat less in the USA and that is where the long and short ton reference came from. The tonne in my understanding is 1000kg around 2200 lb in real money.  Please don't start on about weight and force!
In the UK we have been trying to adopt a System Internationale ( SI system , that most call a metric system) since the early 1970's with varying success, I believe it's a generational thing. I am of a generation that was educated in measurement's that included rods, poles, pecks, stones, chains, furlongs not to mention feet inches miles and metres, litres , kilograms and parts or multiples thereof!
Aaah, chains, that takes me back to my youth, measuring the perimeter of the fields with chains. Can't remember how long they were but you knew you'd been using them all day.
60% of the time it works everytime...

Petrus

Quote from: Joesson on February 21, 2020, 12:22@Petrus , my understanding is that a ton refers to 2240 lbs in the UK somewhat less in the USA and that is where the long and short ton reference came from. The tonne in my understanding is 1000kg around 2200 lb in real money.  Please don't start on about weight and force!

So in SI language 100 hp per 1000 kg.

The bog standard MR2 comfortably exceeds that ;-)

Mine is about 175 / tonne.

Thanks for bringing it up btw.; it is good to look at it this way as it is as close as it comes to an objectove comparative criterium for apples and pears.

Joesson

Quote from: Call the midlife! on February 21, 2020, 12:45
Aaah, chains, that takes me back to my youth, measuring the perimeter of the fields with chains. Can't remember how long they were but you knew you'd been using them all day.

22 yards was my recollection, stumps to stumps on a cricket pitch, or as confirmed by Wikipedia- The chain is a unit of length equal to 66 feet. It is subdivided into 100 links or 4 rods.

Joesson

Quote from: Petrus on February 21, 2020, 12:51

So in SI language 100 hp per 1000 kg.

The bog standard MR2 comfortably exceeds that ;-)

Mine is about 175 / tonne.

Thanks for bringing it up btw.; it is good to look at it this way as it is as close as it comes to an objectove comparative criterium for apples and pears.

Power / weight ratio has to be the way to compare performance one vehicle with another. As you have mentioned, often, adding lightness is a way of improving the ratio and thereby improving performance.

Petrus

Quote from: Joesson on February 21, 2020, 13:11The chain is a unit of length equal to 66 feet.

Feet still don´t compute on this side of the Channel ;-)

Joesson

Quote from: Petrus on February 21, 2020, 13:20
Quote from: Joesson on February 21, 2020, 13:11The chain is a unit of length equal to 66 feet.

Neither does cricket I guess😉

Petrus

Quote from: Joesson on February 21, 2020, 13:19
Quote from: Petrus on February 21, 2020, 12:51Thanks for bringing it up btw.; it is good to look at it this way as it is as close as it comes to an objectove comparative criterium for apples and pears.

Power / weight ratio has to be the way to compare performance one vehicle with another. As you have mentioned, often, adding lightness is a way of improving the ratio and thereby improving performance.

Well, yes for performance limited to accelleration/speed.
It must be noted that the shortcoming is that power only counts in accelleration whereas weight, mass counts whichever way the G-forces work on it.

To refer to a US slogan; there ís a substitute for cubic inches; adding lightness is even better ;-)

Anyway; short of spending on forced induction there is not much to be done to squeeze power from the 1ZZ.

househead

Ah, the SI number system. Great until it relates to computers, by which point one also must understand that the prefixes used in the SI number system relate to different numbers when applied to binary.

1 kilobyte is 1024 bytes, not 1000. SI system actually calls this a "kibibyte" (which practically nobody uses). This confusion has led to lawsuits over stated capacities for memory and hard drives and the like.

Apologies for going waaaaaaaay OT

Joesson

For the very pedantic ( such as @househead) among the readers bhp/ tonne is in itself not a correct measure. The reference I first made was my recollection of what was said on a TV programme. It could equally have been bhp/ ton, but the difference of 40 lb is not much more than a good lunch and the gf's handbag. Those that are bothered the following is courtesy of Which:

Most cars measure power by the horse, but bhp isn't the only unit manufacturers use to tell us how much oomph there is in the engine. Pferdestärke, or PS for short, and Kilowatts (kW) are both lesser used units for determining a car's engine power that mostly show up in mainland Europe.

So for the benefit of our international membership I guess I should have written PS/ tonne!

Joesson

For those that remember playing outside and " having to go in", I have to go in now😉

Petrus

Quote from: Joesson on February 21, 2020, 13:44For the very pedantic ( such as @househead) among the readers bhp/ tonne is in itself not a correct measure. The reference I first made was my recollection of what was said on a TV programme. It could equally have been bhp/ ton, but the difference of 40 lb is not much more than a good lunch and the gf's handbag. Those that are bothered the following is courtesy of Which:

Most cars measure power by the horse, but bhp isn't the only unit manufacturers use to tell us how much oomph there is in the engine. Pferdestärke, or PS for short, and Kilowatts (kW) are both lesser used units for determining a car's engine power that mostly show up in mainland Europe.

So for the benefit of our international membership I guess I should have written PS/ tonne!

Never mind the tv person.
Let´s go for 100 kW / 1000 kg.
Our MR sits about right on it.

SV-3

Quote from: Joesson on February 21, 2020, 13:44For the very pedantic ( such as @househead) among the readers bhp/ tonne is in itself not a correct measure. The reference I first made was my recollection of what was said on a TV programme. It could equally have been bhp/ ton, but the difference of 40 lb is not much more than a good lunch and the gf's handbag. Those that are bothered the following is courtesy of Which:

If "my memory serves me well" (guess the song) ;)  I think it was an item on Top Gear looking at what was a "sensible limit" on the power that could be used on a front wheel drive car before it became undriveable as "torque steer" took over.
'03 Mk3 Chilli Red (Avon ZV7's: 26F/32R)
Sony WX-920BT
"Hardtop Cognoscenti"
"Stock Cubed"
"AirCon Aficionado"
"Keeper of the Beeper"
Ex '88 Mk1b White (Yokohama A539's: 26F/28R)
"Here we all are, rumours and old toffee abound." John Martyn

SV-3

Quote from: Petrus on February 21, 2020, 13:20

May I help?
1 foot = 12 inches
1 inch = 25.40mm(exactly)
Therefore 1 foot = 12 x 25.40 = 304.80mm(exactly) 8)
'03 Mk3 Chilli Red (Avon ZV7's: 26F/32R)
Sony WX-920BT
"Hardtop Cognoscenti"
"Stock Cubed"
"AirCon Aficionado"
"Keeper of the Beeper"
Ex '88 Mk1b White (Yokohama A539's: 26F/28R)
"Here we all are, rumours and old toffee abound." John Martyn

househead

Quote from: Petrus on February 21, 2020, 13:58Never mind the tv person.
Let´s go for 100 kW / 1000 kg.
Our MR sits about right on it.

or 100 milliwatt per kilo :)

Petrus

Quote from: SV-3 on February 21, 2020, 14:12Therefore 1 foot = 12 x 25.40 = 304.80mm(exactly) 8)

Mine are not ...

Tags: