Smaller steering wheel?

Started by Anonymous, August 7, 2003, 08:14

Anonymous

Can a smaller steering wheel be fitted to my 03 I know it has an air bag but i would sacrifice that (wich i hope ill never use anyway) for a little wheel, any ideas?

Anonymous

One thing to think about - if you had a smaller wheel you might not be able to see the speedo clearly.... i have trouble seeing around the 60mph mark as im tall (and probably sit wonky!)...

Anonymous

Kris is right, a smaller wheel would definitely start to block the top of the rev-counter and top left of the speedo.  Besides the standard wheel isn't exactly large.  

And what's with doing without the airbag?  We all hope to never need it, but would be rather more grateful if when we did, it was there.

I was mighty grateful of ABS just the other day.  Never needed it before, but was damn glad it was there when I needed it.

Anonymous

As always you guys are right i was just looking for a bit more space i have already removed the drivers side inside door handle im a wee bit cramped, alough am getting used to it 900miles in 6 days!!!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Anonymous

Could you not just hack-saw the bottom off the wheel  s:) :) s:)

markiii

Take a look at Japanpart.com

TRD do an airbag equiped wheel that may be smaller, but it's not cheap.

I'm pretty sure theres a couple of aftermarket companies out there that do as wel. Can't find the links at the moment though, try googling it.

If you do go airbagless, check with your insurance company first, I'm not convinced how happy they will be, bear in mind your personal accident cover.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

I might be way off the mark here, but when I owned my Mini's a few years ago (and before I came to my senses!!!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ) I did do a little modding on them and one of the first things I did was to change the steering wheel to something smaller. Now, on a Mini, it was great fun, but it did make the steering a little overly sharp on occasions (although it was MUCH better than the dustbin lid that came a standard).

But with a car a finely balanced as a '2, I am not sure I would want to change that for risk of upsetting the balance of the steering and the feel of the car. I know room may be at a premium, but I would think of other ways of making room other than changing the steering wheel cos you would be suprised at how much it will change things. And I am guessing in a '2,it might not be for the better.......  s:? :? s:?

dancarbon

I have seen racing steering wheels with a flat bottom which could help with the wheel rubbing on your knees, though I imagine they are v. expensive and may loot a bit out of place in the 2.
2001 Black Manual Soft-top

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"Take a look at Japanpart.com

TRD do an airbag equiped wheel that may be smaller, but it's not cheap.
The TRD-steering-Wheel has the same size as the stock one, ask Andy form the german MR2 roadster community he can tell you...

Anonymous

The TRD steering wheel is only a millimeter or two smaller not enough that makes any difference on your knees, but I think its the only aftermarket steering wheel that still uses an airbag

MOMO has lots of smaller steering wheels if your willing to risk it without the airbag

Tem

IIRC, some "bigname" aftermarket steering wheel maker had models with airbag...MOMO, Sparco...can't really remember. I just remember the price was HUGE.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Who remembers this?

Anonymous

That wheel comes complete with horizontal red moving light for the front of your 2 & a BBC model B computer voice that calls you "Michael"    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Do do do dooo di dooooooo

Guessing the 2 red buttons in the middle are for "cardboard box jumping turbo boost" & "ejector seat"      s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Racers will remove the airbag wheel because it saves weight and if you have a shunt on a track you don't want a balloon exploding in your face.  On a road car i'd leave it in, most definitely.

Anonymous

Does anyone happen to know the size of the OEM steering wheel as a matter of interest? Biggest after market one is usually about 350mm

Anonymous

The 350 mm wheels are only slightly smaller than stock, I've however gone for a 350mm flat bottomed one to give my knees a little more room as I'm 6' 2" and the old knee was getting in the wat when raising the clutch.

The air bag unit is pretty heavy as said plus I've read up on the injuries caused by airbags and am not sorry to loose it to be honest.

Need to make a couple of alterations to get the indicators to self cancel as you have to remove the spring ring section that controls this function. but other than that all sorted.

( I went for a red/black wheel which matches the red custom leather nicely and a TRD horn push)

mph

Note your insurance company may not be best pleased when you tell them you've removed the airbag so you can have a custom steering wheel.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Anonymous

They were fine, I'm through the Dorset Insurance Group discounted through the Celica Club and I'm charged no extra or given any grief over mods unless they are performance enhancing.  The steering wheel just went on the list no probs  :-) :-) :-)

Anonymous

airbags were designed for americans who can't be arsed to wear seatbelts.  nanny state and all that.

I wouldn't remove mine, cos I'm fine with the std wheel... although I'd have to say that I'd like the wheel to be a little closer to me.

Tags: