[Q] Where to source velcro?

Started by filcee, April 15, 2005, 21:11

filcee

I'm planning to acquire a multi-fag-lighter affair and want to secure this to the carpet to save drilling holes or having a self-adhesive sticky mess on the interior plastics.  I know a number of people have secured things to the carpet using industrial strength velcro - CD changers, MP3 players, amps & the like.  I'd like to do the same for this.

I've done a search, but not managed to find a source - does anyone have any ideas where I can get the super-strngth velcro from?  And does it just attach to the carpet, or do you need both halves in place?

Thanks,
Phil
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Anonymous

I don't know about the industrial bit but I have self adhesive velcro both hook and loop that I could let you have some of. How much do you need?

heathstimpson

I bought mine from John Lewis; the section that sells all the material and sewing bits and pieces.
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

try B&Q, the one in redditch is rather helpful. they tend to have industrial strength stuff, or you could try and mount it under the section where the ash tray is so you dont have to fix it to the carpet.

Anonymous

halfords sell the extra strength stuff for a couple of quid, when i secured my amp i only used the 'hook' part onto the carpet and it has never shifted an inch

Anonymous

Same as spgreen.  I bought mine from Halfords and the hook bit has been holding my amp onto the carpet below the storage bins for 6 months now.  Not even a hint of movement in it.

kanujunkie

if you have real probs then i can see if i can source some from work, i have p/n's for it, we use it for attaching door parts on airbus's so it should be strong enough, would probably take me a week to resource some though
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

filcee

Cheers guys.  More information than I expected.  Thank you very much.

I'm going to try Halfrauds and the local B&Q, as they're not to far away, and Halfrauds also sell quite a cheap 3-way fag-lighter that would do my 'phone, PDA and potentially a.n. other item in the future.  If I'm lucky it might even fit under the ashtray (anyone tried that?).

I'll let you know how I get on.
Thanks again
Phil
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Anonymous

If you mean the silver one Halfords do, I couldn't find a way to get it under the ashtray. I just stuck my one to the plastic trim next to the stereo, on the passengers side.

Darth Paul

Phil, my three-way is velcro'd to the carpeted hump behind the headunit, nicely out of the way.

Anonymous

Bought some Velcro branded heavy duty stuff from Homebase the other day - kept near all the glues etc. Also at Halfords as mentioned already.

kanujunkie

didn't realise either place did that, is the backing made of a fabric type material or solid plastic?
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Darth Paul

Fabric, with SERIOUS adhesive on it. I use it to keep my number plates on.

kanujunkie

in that case it's not the serious stuff, that has a hard plastic back with a 2 part system,
part A to part B = medium grip
part B to part B = well i'm still trying to get the fu**ing stuff apart  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Tags: