Dilemma with camshafts

Started by m1tch, May 17, 2020, 17:11

jonbill

this is how cam regrinding works.

shnazzle

Quote from: Mikeymead on June 14, 2020, 17:50
Quote from: shnazzle on June 14, 2020, 17:36
Quote from: Mikeymead on June 14, 2020, 17:31
Quote from: shnazzle on June 14, 2020, 16:42How can the gaps be so big??
Does the camshaft need to be ground? I mean, it's off by miles. What diameter are the journals compared to stock?

I guess that these are reground stock cams, they get the greater lift by basically reducing the size of the cam heel. Therefore the gap has to be adjusted to compensate and the lift is increased. Quite cleaver really but also annoying. 
That's really rather poor. No offense m1tch :)

But if I wanted higher lift cams I'd want the lobes higher and with longer duration, not the actual cam ground down! That's cheating

Not m1tch's fault, we were both duped!, I suppose it keeps the costs down.
I didn't mean it was Mitch's fault. I meant I didn't want to insult the Piper cams :) 

Are Crowers reground or cast?
...neutiquam erro.

Call the midlife!

My Crowers are ground from new cores but there's two different Crowers to consider.
60% of the time it works everytime...

m1tch

I am still awaiting a response back from Pipercams, apparently they have now relayed it to the development director, I sent all my measurements over and simply asked how I am meant to clearance the cams with the stock setup.

As mentioned already, it looks like Piper have reground used cams vs using new cores like Crower meaning that the base circle diameter has been reduced meaning that its basically impossible to clearance them with shimless buckets.

Options are either:

Use the Supertech buckets with shims
Use 5.5mm lash caps and grind down OEM buckets

To be able to run lash caps you actually need to remove material from the OEM buckets to then allow for the lash caps, think the smallest is 1mm so around 0.5mm needs to be removed from the 'post' inside the bucket - ironically you need a smaller bucket to then increase the overall shim and bucket stack.

Will update this thread once Pipercams get back to me - they are currently very short staffed.

Mikeymead

Would shim under bucket 3SGTE followers fit?
Ding Day 2016 "Best In Show" & "Inspector Gadget" winner, not that I'm gloating or anything like that!

jonbill

Quote from: Mikeymead on June 19, 2020, 14:06Would shim under bucket 3SGTE followers fit?
yes, I believe they do. I saw it on telly. maybe it was project binky?

m1tch

Quote from: Mikeymead on June 19, 2020, 14:06Would shim under bucket 3SGTE followers fit?

The 3SGTE and the 2JZ engines use the 1zz shimless buckets as upgrades so yes you can run either of those buckets and followers in the 1zz, however they are a downgrade from the shimless buckets as the shims can pop out at higher RPMs which is why people usually upgrade to 1zz shimless.

Mikeymead

Quote from: m1tch on June 20, 2020, 10:44

The 3SGTE and the 2JZ engines use the 1zz shimless buckets as upgrades so yes you can run either of those buckets and followers in the 1zz, however they are a downgrade from the shimless buckets as the shims can pop out at higher RPMs which is why people usually upgrade to 1zz shimless.

Is that so likely with shim under bucket types, I can definitely see it on shim over bucket ones.
Ding Day 2016 "Best In Show" & "Inspector Gadget" winner, not that I'm gloating or anything like that!

moca2cv

Hi m1tch,
How did you get on with the cams in the end? Looking at getting a regrind for an N/A 1ZZ from Newman who are just around the corner from me (much cheaper than Crowe/Cat etc) and wondering what I should do about the buckets... did Piper ever get back to you?
TIA!

Tags: