Standard mr2 is very nice

Started by 105e, May 19, 2020, 14:49

105e

My mr2 afaik is totally standard (front strut and bottom brace aside), i would like to modify it because its what i like to do, practically all my cars for the past 45 years have been modified to some degree but... the standard height suspension causes me no problems, the compliance of it is lovely, the quiet exhaust is lovely, the full interior ( i run a full time hardtop) with the previously mentioned items make it a nice place to be.  The standard engine if driven sensibly  ( and not so sensibly) gives very good mpg.  So it seems the answer is 2 mr2,s,  one standard and one to play with.  Not really possible as i have now retired on a limited income..

Alex Knight

Buy another that's already been 2ZZ swapped?

shnazzle

It's definitely a dilemma. I know what you mean.

Helen's car is totally stock and drives lovely. 
But, she added some subtle bracing. 
Front, and  TTE brace to come. 
It changes nothing as far as comfort (noticeably) but does improve certain aspects. Also, both can be applied in either an invisible way or an aesthetically pleasing way. 

The next step is interior mods to "jazz it up" and make the already nice place to be even nicer. 
Fresh retrim? New stereo and speakers? Dials. Etc.

After that, a low-boost turbo/supercharger setup. It can all be done without needing a loud exhaust, heavy clutch or other invasive things. But this is obviously quite pricey.
...neutiquam erro.

Petrus

Quote from: 105e on May 19, 2020, 14:49My mr2 afaik is totally standard, i would like to modify it but... the standard height suspension causes me no problems, the compliance of it is lovely, the quiet exhaust is lovely, the full interior ( i run a full time hardtop) with the previously mentioned items make it a nice place to be.  The standard engine if driven sensibly  ( and not so sensibly) gives very good mpg.  So it seems the answer is 2 mr2,s,  one standard and one to play with.  Not really possible as i have now retired on a limited income..

The question ´why´?  pops up.

I am very aware that there does not have to be a problem/issue for a mod to result in a gain, but thís car is particularly well developed, well sorted and just about all modifications come with a downside not improving the OEM compromise.

Front strut brace, a freewheel alternator pulley, quick (dis)connect on the battery and an on/of switch to the antenna are the four that spring to mind.
All diy and fitting in a moderate budget.

Then there are Mongos and the subframe spacers. The latter are a bit more work but would give you the right to sport a TRD decal ;-)

For the rest congrats on an OEM car; they are swéét.

J88TEO

I bought a Cat N one for the V6 project but the loss of my house ( domestic arrangement ) put a stop to this..
Car is sitting in the garage for last 12 months! :(

Tags: