powerlite lithium ps09

Started by MR2Bart1991, May 25, 2020, 12:00

MR2Bart1991

Anyone any experience with these lithium batteries?

https://www.powerlite-units.com/power/ps-09.html

Unique built in voltage check panel.

Voltage - 12.8v     Capacity - 9Ah

Cold Cranking Amps - 300

and only 1.4kg (3lbs)

seems like a good weight reduction for not that much money and also has a charger included..

shnazzle

Quote from: MR2Bart1991 on May 25, 2020, 12:00Anyone any experience with these lithium batteries?

https://www.powerlite-units.com/power/ps-09.html

Unique built in voltage check panel.

Voltage - 12.8v    Capacity - 9Ah

Cold Cranking Amps - 300

and only 1.4kg (3lbs)

seems like a good weight reduction for not that much money...
@Petrus this is your territory
...neutiquam erro.

Petrus

I have one in for over a year now. Smaller still and only 800 gram.
Works a treat.
Did install a voltage meter.

This type of battery is also much more compact so is less of an obstruction for airflow from the side vent.

The battery will drain after two weeks of no use as these cars have off key current. Best also fit a quick (dis)connect.

MR2Bart1991

Quote from: Petrus on May 25, 2020, 12:24I have one in for over a year now. Smaller still and only 800 gram.
Works a treat.
Did install a voltage meter.

This type of battery is also much more compact so is less of an obstruction for airflow from the side vent.

The battery will drain after two weeks of no use as these cars have off key current. Best also fit a quick (dis)connect.

Yeah this one has a built in voltage meter + i was going to mount a kill switch just to be sure :p have you ever had problems starting with yours?

Petrus

Quote from: MR2Bart1991 on May 25, 2020, 12:28Yeah this one has a built in voltage meter + i was going to mount a kill switch just to be sure :p have you ever had problems starting with yours?

I put one in the dash to make sure the charge is not excessive.

Kill switch is not same as quick disconnect but ok, has the same effect.

No problems ever apart from the common one lead/acid users complain about too.

More on it from page 2 Belle´s thread

tom256

Maybe something with higher capacity and bigger CCA:
Specifications.   
    YLP14
Voltage   13.2
PbEq Capacity   14Ah
Current CA (23c)   490A
Current CCA (-18c)   245A
Max Charge Current   10A
Weight   760g

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aliant-Lithium-Motorcycle-Battery-YLP14-/253804158364

This one looks good. I'm also looking for new car battery, and I will probably buy this one. But I do not know if there is version with plus on right side.

@Edit I Just notice 14Ah is equivalent capacity :/
Toyota MR2 Roadster 2005 TF300 Silver Streak Mica
Team Impul NS-GT2 '17
Zero header + Zero cat + TTE Exhaust
TRD Door Stabilizer
Denso TT Iridium

Petrus

Quote from: tom256 on May 25, 2020, 17:17But I do not know if there is version with plus on right side.

The terminal is different; with ´motorcycle´ cable terminals and you can fit it easier so with the poles on the correct side.
Because the battery is so much smaller, also lower you have more play on/with the cables.

tom256

Finally I bought this one:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000829013904.html?spm=a2g0s.imconversation.0.0.27b83e5fETOEmZ

40Ah, but books like true capacity is 20Ah. Still it comparable to acid battery 40Ah.
Team Impul NS-GT2 '17
TRD Door Stabilizer
Denso TT Iridium

Petrus

By jove!! That should be enough  :o   The poor little 1ZZ will not know what kicks it into action  ;)

gon

I don't think lithium batteries will last very long if they are charged directly via the alternator.

A Lead acid battery accepts charging at a constant voltage but I think a lithium prefers being charged at a constant current, meaning that the charge voltage needs to be adjusted depending on the battery state of charge.

Temperature is also a problem, lithium batteries have a much lower maximum temperature so be careful if you are still using the battery on the engine bay (should be fine in the frunk)

Petrus

There is a world of diffeence between Lithi-ion and LiFe. The latter is ok in automotive application. Just make sure the chargoing voltage stays under 14.5V.

Dev

Quote from: gon on May 28, 2020, 11:38I don't think lithium batteries will last very long if they are charged directly via the alternator.

A Lead acid battery accepts charging at a constant voltage but I think a lithium prefers being charged at a constant current, meaning that the charge voltage needs to be adjusted depending on the battery state of charge.

Temperature is also a problem, lithium batteries have a much lower maximum temperature so be careful if you are still using the battery on the engine bay (should be fine in the frunk)

This is all true but it depends on the current state of technology. I have been using a Lithium Iron battery for over four years now and its held up great but not for others that bought the same one. The reason for this is you need to be on top of it otherwise you will shorten the life. Most of these batteries like mine have a balance circuit built in however because our alternators are rated at 80 amps it can kill these batteries if they have to charge them in a low state of charge. 
If you have one where the charge falls too low the battery will be irreversibly damaged. It may appear to be ok but it will begin to go bad in time. 

The latest technology is having the circuit disconnect the battery at a point where it will damage the battery. The owner can then press a reset button on the battery and start the car. Also some of the newer circuits will have overcharge protection which is what you want but not all of these batteries have them.

I keep my battery on a CTEK battery charger all the time to monitor the charge so its always at its peak where it preserves the longevity of the battery and that is how I have made it last compared to others that had them fail in time.

mr9

When this battery does I'm considering replacing with a lightweight battery with a solar trickle charger to keep it topped up.

Use my car as a daily though so unsure on the reliability, don't want to get stuck at work every other week in the winter...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AA-12V-Solar-Powered-Panel-Car-Caravan-Battery-EOBD-Trickle-Charger-Maintainer-/372599294307

tom256

Quote from: mr9 on May 28, 2020, 18:10When this battery does I'm considering replacing with a lightweight battery with a solar trickle charger to keep it topped up.

Use my car as a daily though so unsure on the reliability, don't want to get stuck at work every other week in the winter...

You can simply use jump starter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN8A2nIMUWA
I looks more reliable.

Some more expensive LiFePo4 car battery, when are low are disconnecting to save same power for starting engine.
Team Impul NS-GT2 '17
TRD Door Stabilizer
Denso TT Iridium

gon

I am about to change mine and I am going to stick with led acid ... going for an odyssey PC680 aka odyssey racing 25.
The terminals seems to be on the correct side , it should just needs a spacer at the top.

Mark A

Quote from: Petrus on May 28, 2020, 12:09There is a world of diffeence between Lithi-ion and LiFe. The latter is ok in automotive application. Just make sure the chargoing voltage stays under 14.5V.

What Lithium alternative would you recommend as a good VfM for an Odyssey PC680?

Petrus

The Shido YB16AL-A2  LiFePO4 should do nicely.
You decide whether it is vfm.

MR2Bart1991

So it arrived and really looks nice

comes with lithium charger and brace to put it in your car.

jvanzyl

Quote from: MR2Bart1991 on June  9, 2020, 07:21So it arrived and really looks nice

comes with lithium charger and brace to put it in your car.

Please do provide pics of the installation and let us know how you get on after a week of running it?

tom256

Team Impul NS-GT2 '17
TRD Door Stabilizer
Denso TT Iridium

gon

Quote from: tom256 on June 19, 2020, 21:18So here it is:

how has it been performing ? so far so good ?

tom256

Quote from: gon on October 23, 2020, 15:34how has it been performing ? so far so good ?

So far no problems. Working better than standard.
Team Impul NS-GT2 '17
TRD Door Stabilizer
Denso TT Iridium

JB21

I'm currently using a golf kart battery in my track car, its 6.4kg but for £36 I have no complaints, been great so far. Had a Varley red top 20 in before but this was very unreliable and eventually popped a cell and fried my ECU in the process. Cant justify a £200 battery again to save a further 3kg, i'd rather just go on a diet for a month.

https://www.thebatteryshop.co.uk/yuasa-rec22-12i-12v-22ah-cyclic-battery-10456-p.asp

tom256

Quote from: JB21 on November 12, 2020, 08:28Cant justify a £200 battery again to save a further 3kg, i'd rather just go on a diet for a month.

LiFePo4 are superior to acid battery in every case. These are safer, voltage is more stable(no voltage drop when you are starting engine), have better CCA, charging much, much faster and are lighter. When you discharge it it will not degrade. Only disadvantage is price, and you cannot exceed 14v when charging it. That is why you should use special charger.
Team Impul NS-GT2 '17
TRD Door Stabilizer
Denso TT Iridium

JB21

Quote from: tom256 on November 12, 2020, 09:25
Quote from: JB21 on November 12, 2020, 08:28Cant justify a £200 battery again to save a further 3kg, i'd rather just go on a diet for a month.

LiFePo4 are superior to acid battery in every case.

Yeah apart from costing 4 times as much, not being able to exceed 14v and needing a special charger, plus they don't like heat and my engine bay gets very, very hot so would need relocating to the frunk.

Superior in every case yeah!

Tags: