2001 Blue

Started by panderoo, June 5, 2020, 17:42

panderoo

2001 Blue
Just acquired, totally standard and very clean, original hood in perfect condition.
Has had UJ changed and a recent clutch.
Quickly machine polished today before the rain set in.

Repair or upgrade parts to follow.. >:D

shnazzle

Quote from: panderoo on June  5, 2020, 17:422001 Blue
Just acquired, totally standard and very clean, original hood in perfect condition.
Has had UJ changed and a recent clutch.
Quickly machine polished today before the rain set in.

Repair or upgrade parts to follow.. >:D

Gotta love a good clean example of a pre-fl. 

Seeing a nice facelift is like "oh that's nice". Seeing a great pre-fl somehow carries a lot more weight
...neutiquam erro.

Joesson

Hello and welcome, @shnazzle sums it up nicely.
Enjoy.

Ardent

GodalmingMR2

Best colour!
You cannot view this attachment.

panderoo

Thanks for the comments, I'm quite fond of it already.

panderoo

Things are escalating quickly

Stripped down ready for pre-cat removal.

panderoo

Test fit of a 3D printed knob..

Not sure on this to be honest as it needs some work around that area for it to look right.

Ardent

Quote from: panderoo on June  8, 2020, 21:41Thanks for the comments, I'm quite fond of it already.
The feeling grows. :)

Ardent

Quote from: panderoo on June  8, 2020, 21:46Test fit of a 3D printed knob..

Not sure on this to be honest as it needs some work around that area for it to look right.
HOLD THE PHONE!
Can you clarify 3D printed knob.
As in.
A. You ordered and bought one? Or.
B. You designed and printd yourself?

Ardent

Quote from: GodalmingMR2 on June  5, 2020, 22:32Best colour!
You cannot view this attachment.
Nearly. ;)

SV-3

'03 Mk3 Chilli Red (Avon ZV7's: 26F/32R)
Sony WX-920BT
"Hardtop Cognoscenti"
"Stock Cubed"
"AirCon Aficionado"
"Keeper of the Beeper"
Ex '88 Mk1b White (Yokohama A539's: 26F/28R)
"Here we all are, rumours and old toffee abound." John Martyn

panderoo

Quote from: Ardent on June  8, 2020, 21:52
Quote from: panderoo on June  8, 2020, 21:46Test fit of a 3D printed knob..

HOLD THE PHONE!
Can you clarify 3D printed knob.
As in.
A. You ordered and bought one? Or.
B. You designed and printd yourself?

They are on EBay from a guy in Doncaster.. search M12x1.25 knob and it's the one with a photo of 4-5 different coloured knobs.

Initially I ordered one really just to have a look as I'm quite interested in 3D printing.

Having looked at the product, I think it would be quite easy to make with my brothers 3D printer so I may take some dimensions and look into making my own design soon.

Ardent

very much on the outside looking in. But the concept of 3d printing.....

panderoo

This is very low level as far as 3D printing is concerned by today's standards.

It's the future and the progression and capability currently is mind blowing while still very much only the being in its infancy.

Joesson

Quote from: panderoo on June  8, 2020, 21:44Things are escalating quickly

If you have read about this procedure I do hope that PPE was mentioned. The catalyser is a mix of materials that you don't want to be breathing in nor getting in your eyes.
If you were aware of this OK, if you weren't please be advised.

panderoo

Quote from: Joesson on June  8, 2020, 22:47
Quote from: panderoo on June  8, 2020, 21:44Things are escalating quickly

If you have read about this procedure I do hope that PPE was mentioned. The catalyser is a mix of materials that you don't want to be breathing in nor getting in your eyes.
If you were aware of this OK, if you weren't please be advised.

I wasn't so thanks for the heads up 🙏

I have bought a Toyosports manifold so I may just use that instead of going through the clearing out of the cats.

Are they worth fitting or would I be better to stick with the cleared out OEM manifold ?

Ardent

If there is nothing wrong with the pre cats. Save yourself the bother and run as is.

panderoo

I had a quick look over the weekend and they look to be starting to break down.

I would rather take the lot out or fit the Toyosports mani for peace of mind, but it would be good to hear any views on if there is any advantages of the Toyosports..?

tricky1138

Quote from: panderoo on June  9, 2020, 08:57I had a quick look over the weekend and they look to be starting to break down.

I would rather take the lot out or fit the Toyosports mani for peace of mind, but it would be good to hear any views on if there is any advantages of the Toyosports..?

Replace with the Toyosports is my opinion. Thats what I'm doing. There was talk a while ago of someone noticing a difference with the gutted manifold compared to a toyosports / equivalent. Something to do with the empty pre-cats chamber not being good for gas flow.

I'm sure @shnazzle will be along shortly to explain better.
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

Joesson

Seven or so years ago the general consensus was to remove the pre cat material no matter what. A guy on Spyderchat was an advocate of retaining the cast OE manifold as it was of "high quality".That is what I did.
Since then, there has perhaps been a better understanding of the sequence of and reason for the pre cat break down and this has been well discussed on here.
Many people now favour replacing the OE manifold with varying qualities of tubular stainless steel manifolds, such as the "Toyo".
What the measurable performance or other benefits to the fitting of a tubular manifold is now the topic of some debate, as is the subsequent wrapping of the aesthetic, shiny stainless with heat resistant/ retaining tape.
As the saying goes,  you make your choice and pay your money.
There is little debate that whatever choice you make, the manifold to head and manifold to main catalyser gaskets, should be replaced with genuine Toyota gaskets.

panderoo

Interesting.. what's the current debate on wrapping or not ?

I have ordered wrap, but would again be interested to know thoughts on if it's worth adding or not.

Performance wise I'm not expecting anything, but it has just arrived and the flanges look to be of nice thick quality material.

I do have genuine gaskets on order 👍🏻

tricky1138

Debate on wrapping is whether or not the manifold can cope with the extra heat that wrapping does to it.

According to some, wrapping causes cracking to cheap manifolds (and I include toyosports in that category) but I agree that it helps keeping engine temps down.

I've never found an aftermarket manifold where you can put the original heatshield back on - you would think they could get the holes in the right place!

I've wrapped my new manifold, and I wrapped my old one too.

Out of interest does yours come with brackets to attach to the block at the bottom? As thats anoter reason why some crack.
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

panderoo

No brackets for anything.

Looks like I could be better leaving the wrap off ??

tricky1138

Quote from: panderoo on June  9, 2020, 11:28No brackets for anything.

Looks like I could be better leaving the wrap off ??

I'd still wrap it.

Tags: