Potenza Re040s on the rear - linglongs on the front

Started by J4ck100, July 13, 2020, 18:23

J4ck100

Hi all,

My new to me facelift has Bridgestone re040s with good tread on the rear but two unmatched linglongs on the front

Now unfortunately Bridgestone aren't making the re040s anymore which is a shame, i can't even find another Potenza in the right size.

So, my options as I see them are:

1. Install x2 Bridgstone Turanza on the front (closest match to rear Potenzas)

2. Install matching set of 4 TR1s / Uniroyal Rainsport 5s / AD08RS etc

Additionally some people talk of upsizing so getting 195/50/15 at the front instead of 185/45/15 as tyres are cheaper and there's more choice - would this be recommended?

Thanks

Chilli Girl

Hi and Welcome.  I should think the Bridgestones are quite old now so the rubber may have gone off. You can find a date on the outside walls of the tyres.  I'd change all 4.  Many posts here about tyres but the ones you've mentioned would be perfectly acceptable.
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

shnazzle

Going from 185 to 195 does indeed open it up to more tyre choices. I've been running 195 front and 225 rear for years now. It does slightly change the turn-in feel but I wouldn't say negatively. Different.

Key is what Jane said above; if you still have RE040s on, they'll need replacing by now.
Next is considering your drive. If you do a lot of miles, consider a tyre with high efficiency and low wear. If you do a lot of pothole miles, pick one with a bit of flex in the side wall.
Lots of standing water (M1 driving) Rainsports are epic. 
Budget but great all-rounder you're looking at Nankang NS-20.
Like to push on, great road feel and don't mind a bit harsher ride and buying 2 new tyres every year; my favourite... AD08Rs
...neutiquam erro.

JB21

If yours is purely a road car I'd go with road tyres. AD08RS would be OK in the current summer months but once it gets cold and wet you may get caught out. I've got Rainsport 5's as wets on OE wheels and they are a great all-rounder. Only gripe is the lack of feedback but this is due to a soft sidewall, but the upside to this is they are very comfortable. Wet grip is unbelievable, dry grip is very good too for a road tyre.

I recently got caught out at a track day were it forecast rain so turned up on the RS5's but the track was near enough dry, bit greasy mind. Thought I'd burn them up given their soft compound but they were great and unbelievably only just over 3s a lap slower than my track wheels with Nankang AR1's which are very good semi-slicks.

See the session on them below,  I got a bit over enthusiastic in the first few lap hence the spin, but once I'd found the limit of grip they held up very well to my surprise! Very predictable when they let go too which is what you want on the road.

On FL OE wheels with 195/50/15 front and 205/45/16 rear. Only cost me £160 delivered for all 4.

Ardent

Quote from: shnazzle on July 13, 2020, 22:06Like to push on, great road feel and don't mind a bit harsher ride and buying 2 new tyres every year; my favourite... AD08Rs
:o
I am clearly not trying hard enough.
I am on at least my 3rd season. Is a weekender though.

Ardent

@J4ck100

As above. Change all four.
On the stock sizes. I was very happy with falkens.

J4ck100

Just checked the RE040s and they were manufactured in 2013 so probably due a swap out. I'll look at AD08RS if my bank balance allows.

Are those ZE913 ecorun falkens you've got Jason?

Carolyn

I'm running Nankang NS20 front and rear.  215 45 R16 and 195 50 R15.  Great value for money.

Very grippy in all conditions, though I do go through rears at an alarming rate. Could have something to do with most of my driving being 'enthusiastic' on twisty B roads.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

J4ck100

OK narrowed it down - going to go with AD08RS as I won't mind the high wear rate.

Only question now is whether to go with 185 55 15 on the front (stock) or 195 50 15 (bit cheaper)

Would the handling be affected much? I guess the front end would be slightly grippier?

thanks

thetyrant

Quote from: JB21 on July 14, 2020, 08:19If yours is purely a road car I'd go with road tyres. AD08RS would be OK in the current summer months but once it gets cold and wet you may get caught out. I've got Rainsport 5's as wets on OE wheels and they are a great all-rounder. Only gripe is the lack of feedback but this is due to a soft sidewall, but the upside to this is they are very comfortable. Wet grip is unbelievable, dry grip is very good too for a road tyre.

I recently got caught out at a track day were it forecast rain so turned up on the RS5's but the track was near enough dry, bit greasy mind. Thought I'd burn them up given their soft compound but they were great and unbelievably only just over 3s a lap slower than my track wheels with Nankang AR1's which are very good semi-slicks.

See the session on them below,  I got a bit over enthusiastic in the first few lap hence the spin, but once I'd found the limit of grip they held up very well to my surprise! Very predictable when they let go too which is what you want on the road.

On FL OE wheels with 195/50/15 front and 205/45/16 rear. Only cost me £160 delivered for all 4.

Im tempted to replace my well worn Federal RSR with the RS5's after next sprint so interesting reading this and watching your video, looks like you were having the exact same problems i did at 3sisters when i had the whiteline bars front and rear and the place where you spun my car was trying to do the same every lap!, next visit with stock rear arb i was able to get power down much better on that section and everywhere else!, not sure if the RS5 will make a good sprint tyre but should be ok with soft compound once tread is worn down abit, tempted to get them shaved before fitting as they are so cheap!....hmmm

Real shame the outgoing Federal RSR is no longer available at cheap money it used to be, they are great tyres for what they cost on road and track.

Ex-2005 roadster  owner, i will be back :D

Zxrob

Quote from: shnazzle on July 13, 2020, 22:06Going from 185 to 195 does indeed open it up to more tyre choices. I've been running 195 front and 225 rear for years now. It does slightly change the turn-in feel but I wouldn't say negatively. Different.

Those are the sizes I use on my FL, I went for the TR1 and are pleased with them, no dramas and warm up quick enough for spirited road use

Rob
Adventure before dementia 😁

JB21

Quote from: thetyrant on July 14, 2020, 12:42
Quote from: JB21 on July 14, 2020, 08:19If yours is purely a road car I'd go with road tyres. AD08RS would be OK in the current summer months but once it gets cold and wet you may get caught out. I've got Rainsport 5's as wets on OE wheels and they are a great all-rounder. Only gripe is the lack of feedback but this is due to a soft sidewall, but the upside to this is they are very comfortable. Wet grip is unbelievable, dry grip is very good too for a road tyre.

Im tempted to replace my well worn Federal RSR with the RS5's after next sprint so interesting reading this and watching your video, looks like you were having the exact same problems i did at 3sisters when i had the whiteline bars front and rear and the place where you spun my car was trying to do the same every lap!, next visit with stock rear arb i was able to get power down much better on that section and everywhere else!, not sure if the RS5 will make a good sprint tyre but should be ok with soft compound once tread is worn down abit, tempted to get them shaved before fitting as they are so cheap!....hmmm

Real shame the outgoing Federal RSR is no longer available at cheap money it used to be, they are great tyres for what they cost on road and track.

I'd recently stiffened both my ARB's too. Track was very greasy all morning though and once I changed to the AR1's the car felt much more planted.

My mate in the ep3 was on newly scrubbed in AD08RS's and he despised them from the first lap. I had more grip on the RS5's no doubt. His day ended badly too, when the tyres just didn't grip as they had done the previous session and he hit the tyre wall. He had replaced AD08R's with them so a good back to back comparison. His verdict...SHITE!!!

thetyrant

Quote from: JB21 on July 14, 2020, 13:52I'd recently stiffened both my ARB's too. Track was very greasy all morning though and once I changed to the AR1's the car felt much more planted.

My mate in the ep3 was on newly scrubbed in AD08RS's and he despised them from the first lap. I had more grip on the RS5's no doubt. His day ended badly too, when the tyres just didn't grip as they had done the previous session and he hit the tyre wall. He had replaced AD08R's with them so a good back to back comparison. His verdict...SHITE!!!

Yes makes sense they rotate just a bit too well with stiff rear bar unless tyres and track sticky!  at Blyton where i also had the problem i just disconnected rear ARB part way through the day which helped loads!  easy fix if you get a wet day etc.

That is interesting on the AD08RS as well, they are one i was pondering as love the original AD08 (pre ADO8R) many years ago, but like many tyres revisons it seems they often make them worse! :(

Im also tempted with the R888R and dropping to 15" front and rear to keep price down and so i can rotate them, however for trackdays i dont mind car moving around and have most fun on normal road tyres in low powered cars generally, its just the sprints were i need the sticky rubber to try and get some decent times so might be time for 2 sets of wheels!

Ardent

Quote from: J4ck100 on July 14, 2020, 11:39OK narrowed it down - going to go with AD08RS as I won't mind the high wear rate.

Only question now is whether to go with 185 55 15 on the front (stock) or 195 50 15 (bit cheaper)

Would the handling be affected much? I guess the front end would be slightly grippier?

thanks
Standard quote from me. Stick with stock.
Plenty enough grip.
Top off with a high quality geo setup.
Worth travelling to get it done right. Not just its in spec.
Makes a world of difference.

McMr2

Quote from: Carolyn on July 14, 2020, 11:04I'm running Nankang NS20 front and rear.  215 45 R16 and 195 50 R15.  Great value for money.

Very grippy in all conditions, though I do go through rears at an alarming rate. Could have something to do with most of my driving being 'enthusiastic' on twisty B roads.

At the risk of going off topic...I run these on the rear and find the same re. wear. Seems usage is similar so at least there's consistency!
2004 Silver. Stock(ish).

Ardent

Quote from: J4ck100 on July 14, 2020, 10:58Just checked the RE040s and they were manufactured in 2013 so probably due a swap out. I'll look at AD08RS if my bank balance allows.

Zeix? Fairly sure 913. Was a while ago.
I'm on the ad08r now.
Which are due a refresh.

J4ck100

Quote from: Ardent on July 14, 2020, 16:37
Quote from: J4ck100 on July 14, 2020, 10:58Just checked the RE040s and they were manufactured in 2013 so probably due a swap out. I'll look at AD08RS if my bank balance allows.

Zeix? Fairly sure 913. Was a while ago.
I'm on the ad08r now.
Which are due a refresh.

And how have you found the AD08Rs - worth the extra cash? Sticking with them next time around?

Thanks

Ardent

Stunning.
Yes and yes.

I have used them all year round. Never gave me any moments in the wet or cold.
I found them no worse than "normal" tyres in wet or cold.

But when things are dry and warm. They offer far superior levels of grip.
Think limpet in a glue factory.

Not once have I thought, I could do with wider.

J4ck100

Great, ordering with camskill now. Excited!

JB21

Ardent

thetyrant

The new AD08R-S is meant to be quite a step back in performance over the older ADO8R but depends what you want from a tyre i guess and what you compare it to, will still be a good tyre im sure compared to linglongs etc :D

I ran the first gen AD08 (non R or R-S) many years ago and loved them in dry and ok in wet when quite new, once half worn and well heat cycled on track they were terrifying in the wet! but this was on a near 400hp car so needed a good tyre.

JB21

Quote from: Ardent on July 15, 2020, 12:25Mildly reformulated.
Now AD08Rs

https://www.yokohama.co.uk/Tyres/Car-Tyres/Summer-Tyres/(product)/AD08RS

Mixed reviews below, and even one from a Roadster owner. As mentioned my mate changed to the RS from the R and said the difference was night and day, the RS being far inferior. He used them once and sold them on, replacing them with Accelera 651 sport.

Ad08RS reviews

https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Yokohama/ADVAN-Neova-AD08RS.htm

AD08R reviews

https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Yokohama/ADVAN-Neova-AD08R.htm

Ardent

shnazzle

Having now had them for a while...yeah I do think the RS.isnt what the R and AD08 used to be in the dry.
...neutiquam erro.

Tags: