Bahnstormer's 2nd Go Kart (Black 2006)

Started by BahnStormer, August 7, 2020, 10:09

BahnStormer

Long time reader, first time writer (on the Readers'Rides Board anyway)...

1st MR2 was a lowish mileage Jul-2007 registered Sable that I dailied for 2 years, added >20k miles until 3 tonnes of V8 Audi A8 launched into a roundabout (where I was already) and bent the chassis pretty badly as well as destroying a fair chunk of that corner of the car (suspension, fuse box, etc).

August 2020 is the one year anniversary of my 2nd MR2...

Bought my 2006 Black Roadster in Aug 2019, 101k miles, pretty much stock AC & heated leather, but with no service history and a fair few ratty bits.

Changes thus far are mostly from the Sable donor car, which has a new owner, but is being re-jigged and reskinned as a kit car:

K&N filter in stock airbox
TTE exhaust
Toyosport wrapped manifold

Megillian Motorsport braces (2x strut braces + lower front + lower mid brace)
Tein springs (-30mm)
Koni adjustable damper inserts
Custom geometry (from Wheels-In-Motion in Chesham) - identical Geo to my Sable on coilies!

MTEC slotted + dimpled discs
Yellowstuff pads
Goodridge "Carboline" braided brake lines

3 sets of stock FL wheels:
       Yokohama AD08RS (track/summer)
       Continental PremiumContact2 (summer)
       Continental TS860S(winter)

Pioneer MVH-390BT (mini BT headunit w/MOSFET 2x20W RMS built-in amp)
TS-E171ci components speakers
Novsight LED upgrade for all front lights: H7, HB4 and HB3's
A few other LED's where I can (interior/sidelights/license plate).

Robbins (Haartz Stayfast) mohair hood
Steering OEM steering wheel refurb (chunkier + flat bottom) from Royal Steeringwheels
Interior seats and doorcards swapped from the original bright red to the sable's black (still factor heated leather)
Partial debadge and added a handful of Screaming Chicken badges

Wow that all adds up once you write them down!!

Plans?

I've gone through all the usual thoughts of supercharger, turbo, V6, back to turbo.... but actually just enjoying the car as it is right now until I have the budget / willpower to start something bigger... but might look at a new car if I'm going to do that...

Next? Mostly maintenance / tidying:
Still to decide/purchase:
Headlights (lenses are REALLY scratched) :(

Awaiting fitting:
Battery cut-out for trackdays.
Front fog light housings
Cat/lower exhaust shrouding all needs looking at as it's popped a few bolts and those cable ties don't last forever ;)
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

BahnStormer

I meant to say - purchased for £2500 last year, but with a black hardtop, which I sold immediately, so effectively a £2000 starter car.
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

BahnStormer

And last weekend - before the ShinDingSouth meet, it pulled a nice smooth 143bhp at Surrey Rolling Road.... nothing exciting, but it's a nearly stock car, so just pleased it is making stock!

thetyrant

Looking good and the dyno graph is nice and smooth, good to see the AFR on there which looks ok as well, did you get a graph with the Torque showing ?
Ex-2005 roadster  owner, i will be back :D

shnazzle

It runs remarkably lean throughout. 
I would have thought it would be much richer full throttle. 
Very interesting
...neutiquam erro.

thetyrant

Quote from: shnazzle on August  7, 2020, 11:56It runs remarkably lean throughout.
Very interesting

It is on graph but its probably about 13.5 at engine as presuming above was measured with a tailpipe sniffer which generally show 0.2 to 0.4 points leaner on afr compared to a bung further in and pre-cat etc, also if its a twin exit system as well that could contribute, im about to hook up wideband on my car see how fueling is before i start tweaking.

BahnStormer

Quote from: thetyrant on August  7, 2020, 10:37Looking good and the dyno graph is nice and smooth, good to see the AFR on there which looks ok as well, did you get a graph with the Torque showing ?
Soz mate - I didn't have the charts labelled properly - only meant to upload the torque one! I've put both on now ^^

BahnStormer

Quote from: thetyrant on August  7, 2020, 12:17
Quote from: shnazzle on August  7, 2020, 11:56It runs remarkably lean throughout.
Very interesting

It is on graph but its probably about 13.5 at engine as presuming above was measured with a tailpipe sniffer which generally show 0.2 to 0.4 points leaner on afr compared to a bung further in and pre-cat etc, also if its a twin exit system as well that could contribute, im about to hook up wideband on my car see how fueling is before i start tweaking.

I'm taking the snotwagon up there in 3 weeks, so I'll check how they measure AFR - the car gets reversed into the I couldn't see around at the noisy end... and COVID distancing meant, I decided to be polite and stay outside... but I'd be amazed if a twin exit had it confused - they do some decent performance cars there and most are twin exit. It's a valid question though - especially for the snotwagon as it has a mid-box with two full separate pipes running the length of the car to the rear exhausts...

He said "lean throughout, but no sign of pinking - probably just the Toyo manifold that's leaned it out a bit, so stick with it and see how it goes"... it's hardly like it's got an exotic tune on it or anything, so hopefully won't blow up!

shnazzle

Tbh I would have expected it see it in the 12.5 to 13 range at full chat. But, dual exit and the fact that its a clip-on type does play a role.
...neutiquam erro.

thetyrant

Nice smooth torque as well, im interested to see what my AFR is when i get wheels back on and get chance to measure it.

thetyrant

Just been out with my wideband on the car to check AFR's and surprised how rich these things run in stock form!, as Shnazzle says well into 12's  at full chat so based on what ive just seen on mine i would say either there was issue with wideband/twin exhaust etc on the dyno,  or your car is running lean and maybe needs some investigation!

I wont hijack this thread but check out my Emanage thread shortly for some datalogs ive taken today, will link it here once ive updated it with info for reference.

BahnStormer

RE: the AFR - I'm not very clued up on this other than the general guideline of really high = likely engine failure, but it's not going over 14 and I thought 12-14 for NA car was still pretty safe?

Given how close to 14 it is hovering, is it worth running higher octane fuel to give myself a little more margin for error or should I be looking at a potential fault on the fuel pump / injectors? Anything else a likely candidate? At the moment I'm just driving it as-is - not sure what else I should be doing...

shnazzle

Quote from: BahnStormer on August  9, 2020, 22:56RE: the AFR - I'm not very clued up on this other than the general guideline of really high = likely engine failure, but it's not going over 14 and I thought 12-14 for NA car was still pretty safe?

Given how close to 14 it is hovering, is it worth running higher octane fuel to give myself a little more margin for error or should I be looking at a potential fault on the fuel pump / injectors? Anything else a likely candidate? At the moment I'm just driving it as-is - not sure what else I should be doing...
Don't do anything at the minute. You don't know if the machine wasn't calibrated, whether the probe wasn't in right, whether the dual-tip influenced it. It's a smooth run from the looks of it and if it feels good... Sorted. 

Whether it actually is 143 is anybody's guess. Could be 135. Could be 150. Dyno lottery is always a factor. 
Personally dynos figures only interest me when comparing two runs. Such as a pre-tune and post-tune, or a pre-mod and post-mod. You can trust deltas.

As for AFR. There isn't a right answer. It depends on the range. 
14.7 is stoichiometric; all the oxygen in the fuel is being used and there's no excess fuel. Best mix. 
That's where you want to be for cruising and idle. Why waste fuel running rich (under 14.7). Some cars will cruise a bit leaner (15ish) to save fuel. 
At power, you want fuel. And you want a bit of richness to prevent knock and to cool your cylinders,as well as provide enough fuel for powweeerrrr. So, hence the 12.5-13.
...neutiquam erro.

BahnStormer

Quote from: shnazzle on August  9, 2020, 23:40Don't do anything at the minute. You don't know if the machine wasn't calibrated, whether the probe wasn't in right, whether the dual-tip influenced it. It's a smooth run from the looks of it and if it feels good... Sorted.

Thanks - I agree with using dyno's for shape of the curves or pre/post mostly - it's to easy to mess around with the absolute values. SRR is generally thought to give very accurate ratings (some people even say "under"), unlike a lot of dyno's that just give over-inflated figures for people's forum signatures... I know AMD's old Bicester dyno was one of the worst for just driving your car around the back and giving you a dyno plot a bit later - several of which I  knew to be faked (over-inflated, COPLETELY wrong torque curve, missing signs of failing components).

I'm happy with the car - it's running and feeling great and pulls a lot harder than my old sable - it could do with a bit more torque, but it's still a 1ZZ :) Overall, I'm not looking to mess around with it unless there's a genuine problem...

thetyrant

As Shnazzle says it could be nothing to worry about and if the car is running well and smooth its a fairly good indication nothing serious is wrong, however it would be good to get a 2nd opinion with another wideband if there is anyone local on here with one who can do that for you ?  its a shame your other end of country or i could of quickly popped mine in to check.

The 14 AFR your mostly getting on the pull isnt silly lean but i would use high octane fuel in the meantime to help keep engine safe but im often over cautious with these things, the main thing is you look to be (but maybe not as above) a long way from stock AFR which is much much richer, it could be the Dyno/Wideband or it could be your car is running leaner than it should due to some issue, its not had the MAF mod ? or any other mods that might affect it ?

Below is the AFR i got from a quick 3rd gear pull on my car yesterday before tweaking the Emanage, with repeated pulls it went richer still dipping into the 11's a couple of times but i havent got a full pull showing that, it might not look much different but the difference of 1 point in AFR say 14 to 13 is quite a difference in fuel mixture, if yours is running 14 i bet it feels quite crisp as generally the leaner (to a point) the crisper it feels but downside is more chance of det/knock and ecu would then pull some timing out, as its making good power its probably ok bute i would run high octane fuel like Vpower or BP ultimate etc to help with that just in case

You cannot view this attachment.

As i mention earlier in this post there is not some other mods on car is there ?  MAF mod, intake pipe/filter  or a piggyback like Unichip etc for example ?

If you have OBD dongle and Torque app you could look at fuel trims to see if ecu is altering anything as well.

thetyrant

Did a quick overlay of my AFR vs yours see below, of course mine was done on road and yours on dyno which is a more controlled environment  but still gives you an idea of difference, from the reading i did my AFR is typical of a stock 1zz MR2 which do run rich for a NA motor.

You cannot view this attachment.

BahnStormer

Quote from: thetyrant on August 10, 2020, 07:51As i mention earlier in this post there is not some other mods on car is there ?  MAF mod, intake pipe/filter  or a piggyback like Unichip etc for example ?

If you have OBD dongle and Torque app you could look at fuel trims to see if ecu is altering anything as well.

Thanks - I put a cheeky tank of Tesco "Momentum99" half a tank before the dyno run... I think I'll keep running that for now as it's a lot more accessible than a BP/Shell.

Car is running stock airbox with the K&N drop-in filter, pretty sure there's no ECU changes and I'm not aware of it having been MAF-modded, but I don't know the MAF well enough to spot the difference if I took a peek.... the previous owner was moderately enthusiastic, but not very mechanical - sounds like his father-in-law did all the maintenance.

I've got TorquePro and an ELM327... I'll see what that is saying.

thetyrant

Will be interesting to see what the trims show and if all +/-10% i probably wouldnt worry anymore about and just a dyno wideband issue, Schnazzle is the man on trims though and he will keep you right :D

Interestingly im in process of leaning mine out but not to same extent as your dyno pull, 13 afr is where im wanting to be and about there now, im just messing about really until i get another turbo kit sorted.

Fuel wise i generally just run 95ron but if going on track switch to Vpower/Ultimate etc a tank before to give best protection, now im tinkering with car will probably stay on high octane.

BahnStormer

Torque PRO not playing ball - says it can't see my SD card for recording data... there's about 100Gb free, so not sure what the issue is...

thetyrant

Weird! you dont need to record though and can just view the live fuel trims to see where they are at.

BahnStormer

Quote from: thetyrant on August 11, 2020, 07:25Weird! you dont need to record though and can just view the live fuel trims to see where they are at.

I've got an old Samsung tablet that I can link to Torque too - which creates a great "race car dials" look in dashboard cubby.... I'll try that later.

BahnStormer

Quote from: BahnStormer on August 11, 2020, 15:35
Quote from: thetyrant on August 11, 2020, 07:25Weird! you dont need to record though and can just view the live fuel trims to see where they are at.

I've got an old Samsung tablet that I can link to Torque too - which creates a great "race car dials" look in dashboard cubby.... I'll try that later.
No idea why, but I got it working perfectly in TorquePro and then tried the phone afterwards, which worked...

BahnStormer

Very annoying... car alarm was going off yesterday afternoon - walked out to find that a London cabby had driven into the driver's door in... only a nudge, so only a light scuff on the paint (seems to have mostly polished out) and it is confined entirely to the driver's door, but and mostly just one bug dent.

I took the door card off and pushed some of it out, but it's still going to need that "panel whisperer" guy from Shinding South to come and straighten it out properly :(

Joesson

Quote from: BahnStormer on November 15, 2020, 18:22Very annoying... car alarm was going off yesterday afternoon - walked out to find that a London cabby had driven into the driver's door in... only a nudge, so only a light scuff on the paint (seems to have mostly polished out) and it is confined entirely to the driver's door, but and mostly just one bug dent.

I took the door card off and pushed some of it out, but it's still going to need that "panel whisperer" guy from Shinding South to come and straighten it out properly :(

I do hope the "London cabby" had not driven off and is going  to " see you all right guv'ner"

BahnStormer

Quote from: Joesson on November 15, 2020, 18:32I do hope the "London cabby" had not driven off and is going  to " see you all right guv'ner"

Yep, one of those proper ones ;)

He pulled up straight away and gave me his card, car details, etc... he's asked me to see what it'll cost to get it straightened, so he knows if he should put it through insurance or not. Really nice guy and so apologetic, so I'd like to be fair to him and get it done with the minimum of drama and cost.

Tags: