Anyone know this yellow wrapped MRS?

Started by AdamR28, August 21, 2020, 13:17

AdamR28

Afternoon all,

I'm in the process of looking for a car and something has cropped up that is fairly unique, so wondering if it may be known to anyone in the club?

It's a V reg MRS that's been wrapped in yellow, based in the Gloucester area.

You cannot view this attachment.

With it being an MRS, I believe that means it may or may not have an LSD. As far as I know the sure fire way is to get a gearbox code, however the seller believes it could be done from the VIN. Any ideas about this appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Adam

Carolyn

In the engine compartment, behind and above the battery is an ID plate.  One of the codes is for 'transaxle'.

If it ends in an 'A'- no LSD.  If it ends in a 'B', it has LSD.

You won't get the  info from the VIN itself.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

JB21

Looks lovely that. Think the diff came as standard the MRS built August 2002 onwards. Maybe an option on the pre facelift MRS?

AdamR28

Thanks for your replies and the info @Carolyn ! The seller wasn't able to find the plate which is a bit weird. That combined with the roof being in need of some considerable work (perhaps replacement) and the exhaust being very, very loud, makes it too much of a project for me at the moment... onto the next one.

jvanzyl

I wouldn't be too concerned about the roof- it's £330 odd for a new one fitted!

And you can always sell the exhaust if you don't like it.

StuC

Quote from: AdamR28 on August 21, 2020, 13:17Afternoon all,

I'm in the process of looking for a car and something has cropped up that is fairly unique, so wondering if it may be known to anyone in the club?

It's a V reg MRS that's been wrapped in yellow, based in the Gloucester area.

You cannot view this attachment.

With it being an MRS, I believe that means it may or may not have an LSD. As far as I know the sure fire way is to get a gearbox code, however the seller believes it could be done from the VIN. Any ideas about this appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Adam

Loves me a yellow PFL 👍👍
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Joesson

As @AdamR28 has decided against this particular specimen, and yes @StuC,  it does look quite nice in yellow, not the People's choice but quite nice, I raise this general question.
 I doubt that is the colour that is under the wrap, I can understand that some may want to wrap their car but it would put me off buying such a car.
The wrap could be over a multiplicity of random coloured replaced panels and/ or damage, although this may show through. But what happens when stones start to chip away and supermarket trolley's seek the car out, or other scrapes and bumps that sometimes accompany car ownership occur?
While relatively new I guess it could be possible to match the supplier and colour and get a match, but, as with paint I'm sure the wrap colour will fade over time.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Joesson on August 21, 2020, 18:47As @AdamR28 has decided against this particular specimen, and yes @StuC,  it does look quite nice in yellow, not the People's choice but quite nice.
However, I doubt that is the colour that is under the wrap, I can understand that some may want to wrap their car but it would put me off buying such a car.
The wrap could be over a multiplicity of random coloured replaced panels and/ or damage, although this may show through. But what happens when stones start to chip away and supermarket trolley's seek the car out, or other scrapes and bumps that sometimes accompany car ownership occur?
While relatively new I guess it could be possible to match the supplier and colour and get a match, but, as with paint I'm sure the wrap colour will fade over time.

It's silver under the wrap and like with most wraps it doesn't extend into the areas such as the engine bay, which is always a quandary for me...
60% of the time it works everytime...

AdamR28

Quote from: jvanzyl on August 21, 2020, 15:30I wouldn't be too concerned about the roof- it's £330 odd for a new one fitted!

And you can always sell the exhaust if you don't like it.

That is interesting about the roof cost, may I ask where please? I had a quick Google and didn't find anything for less than half that. Thanks in advance!

I do agree about small bumps etc and you don't know what the wrap is hiding... for me, mechanical condition far outweighs cosmetics though, so I'm not really bothered even if all the panels are a different colour with missing patches of lacquer!

Call the midlife!

Jack Smith's ((Raymond) at Swansea is the place where the majority of people go for a replacement fabric roof, not vinyl as per the original material.
You generally book in advance and order your colour of choice and he fits it on the day in around 3 hours I believe.
Not entirely sure if he retrims a donor frame and then keeps yours or just retrims yours, I know there's some Stanley knife work involved though...

Topdownman

Quote from: Call the midlife! on August 21, 2020, 19:30Jack Smith's ((Raymond) at Swansea is the place where the majority of people go for a replacement fabric roof, not vinyl as per the original material.
You generally book in advance and order your colour of choice and he fits it on the day in around 3 hours I believe.
Not entirely sure if he retrims a donor frame and then keeps yours or just retrims yours, I know there's some Stanley knife work involved though...

He prepares your new roof in advance and puts it on your frame. This means you get a different window in your new roof.

My rear heater didnt work which he mentioned to me, I asked if that was a problem and he said no, he would use it in the next mx5 roof he did...
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Topdownman on August 21, 2020, 20:16
Quote from: Call the midlife! on August 21, 2020, 19:30Jack Smith's ((Raymond) at Swansea is the place where the majority of people go for a replacement fabric roof, not vinyl as per the original material.

He prepares your new roof in advance and puts it on your frame. This means you get a different window in your new roof.

My rear heater didnt work which he mentioned to me, I asked if that was a problem and he said no, he would use it in the next mx-engineinwrongplace  roof he did...
Remind me to have a look at your roof the next time I see you, curious about how he trims the inside, covers the frame etc.

AdamR28

Thanks guys! Swansea eh, quite a trek but worth knowing about just in case. That is indeed a very good price for 3 hours of labour, materials and knowledge!

Ardent

Very popular. Depending on the trek. Not unknown for some to stay out overnight and make a trip of it.

jvanzyl

Quote from: AdamR28 on August 22, 2020, 02:44Thanks guys! Swansea eh, quite a trek but worth knowing about just in case. That is indeed a very good price for 3 hours of labour, materials and knowledge!

Hehe... knowledge... that's just the thing. If you stay to talk he will fill your brain with all sorts of interesting facts. Many advise dropping the car off and legging it!

Carolyn

The data tag is so easy and obvious to find, that the owner 'not being able to find it' makes me wonder what else??
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Joesson

Quote from: Topdownman on August 21, 2020, 20:16

My rear heater didnt work which he mentioned to me, I asked if that was a problem and he said no, he would use it in the next mx-engineinwrongplace  roof he did...

I wonder what he says to an MX4+1 owner who presents with a faulty rear window heater? Thoughts on a postcard please.

AdamR28

Quote from: Carolyn on August 22, 2020, 08:23The data tag is so easy and obvious to find, that the owner 'not being able to find it' makes me wonder what else??

That was also a concern of mine...

Call the midlife!

Quote from: AdamR28 on August 22, 2020, 09:42
Quote from: Carolyn on August 22, 2020, 08:23The data tag is so easy and obvious to find, that the owner 'not being able to find it' makes me wonder what else??

That was also a concern of mine...
Probably been wrapped over...😆

AdamR28

Quote from: Joesson on August 22, 2020, 09:30I wonder what he says to an MX4+1 owner who presents with a faulty rear window heater? Thoughts on a postcard please.

I get the feeling MX5s (did I just swear?) are unmentionable here ;D

That's fine btw, the Westfield forum I use calls Caterhams Cateringvans!

Looks like I have found a car now, a bit more local to me and a bit less modified. Hoping to collect in the next few days. Thanks all for the help!

Ardent

Had me wondering if it's even an mrs.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Ardent on August 22, 2020, 10:10
Had me wondering if it's even an mrs.
Has to be, it's got the badge on the back...

Tags: