Project Scope Creep

Started by moca2cv, October 8, 2020, 09:49

potge

Brake wise
-Brembo or Pagid discs (Just in case there any dodgy parts out there, with anti corrosion coating)
-Motul RBF600-660 are well balanced tried and tested.
-If you discard race-bred pads like Carbotech, Porterfield etc it is either standard pads like Ferodo or slightly uprated EBC yellow and Stoptech. I have found this to be a bit of subjective topic.
- I have HEL, but I guess Mattlewis, Hel or Goodridge should not be night and day between them.

And the obvious but often neglected, spend as much time you can on prepping and cleaning sliders, carriers, boots, pistons, hub etc and apply proper lubing/paste.

Alex Knight

Quote from: moca2cv on July  2, 2021, 14:39
Quote from: Alex Knight on July  2, 2021, 07:13
Quote from: moca2cv on July  2, 2021, 01:08Recommendations for discs and pads that aren't extortionate welcome.

My brake setup.

You can see the part numbers.

I'm no longer recommending the Yellowstuff pads since I cooked a set and they started literally falling apart.

I'm going Carbotech now.

Thanks Alex! Carbotech are looking like the logical choice, but oh so expensive :/

Most of the research I've done indicates that they will last a lot longer, which makes them more cost effective I believe.

moca2cv

Quote from: potge on July  2, 2021, 20:25Brake wise
-Brembo or Pagid discs (Just in case there any dodgy parts out there, with anti corrosion coating)
-Motul RBF600-660 are well balanced tried and tested.
-If you discard race-bred pads like Carbotech, Porterfield etc it is either standard pads like Ferodo or slightly uprated EBC yellow and Stoptech. I have found this to be a bit of subjective topic.
- I have HEL, but I guess Mattlewis, Hel or Goodridge should not be night and day between them.

And the obvious but often neglected, spend as much time you can on prepping and cleaning sliders, carriers, boots, pistons, hub etc and apply proper lubing/paste.

Thanks! I'll see how the yellows perform again today, and have another TD at Brands at the end of the month, but suspect I'll bin them after that. New calipers and hoses before Brands hopefully!

moca2cv

So yesterday went well! Smashed the car around Llandow all day. A few friends had a go too, including Gymkhana GRiD champion Mantas Sliogeris, and they all thought it was great. And frankly the day left me wondering whether I really needed any of the many unfitted parts sitting in my garage... crisis time.

Anyway, brakes. Everyone thought they weren't too bad, not great, but ok and at least consistent. My Time Attack racing driver friend cooked them (expected) but they were ok after a couple of cool down laps. Having passengered with actually good drivers I realised that I am not even close to finding the limit of the car, so I pushed myself as hard as I dared and feel like I made some good improvements throughout the day.

I've noticed that the brake firms up when shifting but not rev matching, and didn't have any vacuum assistance after being sat overnight, so I am going in search of a one way valve in the servo. Or maybe I'll replace the servo. It's clearly not holding vacuum sufficiently if it varies. Task for tomorrow is to get the car booked in somewhere for the brakes to be refreshed properly and potentially get the MRS gearbox and light flywheel in...

You cannot view this attachment.

Forgot to take pics at the track so here's a pic of the Premier Inn car park 😂

moca2cv

If anyone wants to see some video of Gymkhana GRiD champ Mantas in an MR2...

https://youtu.be/4oDyqV7QHEs

He drives the car fast, I squeal like a piggy, get car sick, and realise that I am not very good at driving.

Lol.

Hammond

Quote from: moca2cv on July  5, 2021, 23:20If anyone wants to see some video of Gymkhana GRiD champ Mantas in an MR2...

He drives the car fast, I squeal like a piggy, get car sick, and realise that I am not very good at driving.

Lol.

what a cool experience! ;D
05' silver

Chilli Girl

That is amazing driving!  Love it. ;D
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

moca2cv

Quote from: Hammond on July  6, 2021, 15:56
Quote from: moca2cv on July  5, 2021, 23:20If anyone wants to see some video of Gymkhana GRiD champ Mantas in an MR2...

Lol.

Not one I can repeat too often, he doesn't half defy the laws of physics... my stomach can't sadly 😂

Hammond

Quote from: moca2cv on July  7, 2021, 13:22

Lol.

Not one I can repeat too often, he doesn't half defy the laws of physics... my stomach can't sadly 😂

Ha Ha! Get any pointers from mantas? 8)
05' silver

moca2cv

Quote from: Chilli Girl on July  6, 2021, 17:11That is amazing driving!  Love it. ;D

Genuinely don't believe he is human 😂

moca2cv

Quote from: Hammond on July  7, 2021, 15:52
Quote from: moca2cv on July  7, 2021, 13:22

Lol.

Ha Ha! Get any pointers from mantas? 8)

I struggled to process it all but because gymkhana is all about getting around things quickly his control of the weight of a car is pretty good, he spent most of the time getting a feel for the distribution and what happens in the corners under different conditions. The surprise for me was how much he trail braked in to corners, and how early he was on the power in a corner to get the rear to grip again. I was finding it understeered slightly (which is nice for a relative noob like me) but he didn't have that problem at all 😂
The one thing he said he's change about the car was putting wider wheels on the rear as 205s on 6.5s is a little wobbly, going up a few sizes would stiffen that up a little.

moca2cv

Been busy dicking about with other cars the last few days...
The daily (330i) had its MOT, which it passed, but shortly before that I picked up a crack in a rear wheel. Tyre shop whacked some sealant on it to keep me rolling for another day or two, so o could source a replacement wheel. Turns out the MV3s are very expensive, so I just bought a whole set of Style 189s sans tyres and swapped the lot over. Quite like the look.
Then a buddy has had an issue with a warm air intake rubbing through some wires, so I helped him strip back the loom, reinsulate, and wrap it up again, and refit the OE intake. Sounds crap again, but no rubbing worries.
Back to the BMW and the fuse for the cigarette lighter had gone, so swapped that out but my god did BMW put the fuse box in an awkward place! You need the hands of a 4 year old to operate on it!
Back to the MR2, and the calipers and hoses are loaded up ready for the car to go to the garage in the morning. Hopefully be finished by the end of the day. They'll be checking the servo operation too. To be continued...

moca2cv

Calipers and hoses swapped over no drama, but still suffering spongey brakes. Going back in for more bleeding after giving the brakes a hammering and activating the abs - the stopping power is there it's just lacking feel to the nth degree.
I'm also going to get an alignment, going to ask for 1.5-2 neg camber all round (as long as it's all the same) and zero to teeny toe put up front and teeny toe in at the rear. That should give me a nice neutral setup that is good for road and track.
Swapped engine lids too, so no more ducktail... something else planned instead ;)

moca2cv

Lots to update on...

I forgot to rotate the top mounts so the front camber wasn't adjusted (doh). Everything else is fab though so I just need to jack it up, sort it out, then down to the shop for the toe to be sorted.

Ordered myself a cable and techstream to try firing the abs solenoids to help locate my braking issue.

My new helmet arrived and it's fits great. I also bought a Walero balaclava, wow. Just wow. Super chilled head 👌🏻

Oh and I also fitted a wing to try out. Bit of a saga this... So like many I'm sure I watched Initial D. And then I saw the MR-S in Initial D, and was smitten. I needed that wing. But oh my was it going to be crazy money to import a C-one from Japan... so I spoke to Cal at T89, sent him some measurements and drawings, and let him do his thing. I had to make some mounts though, and because I'm me they need to be as solid as it can be mounted to a bootlid. So I bought some 5mm angle and bar and set to work.

I should be a designer.

Choppy chop, drilly drill, et voila.

More drilly drill (this is the really difficult bit, mega nerves), and bolt it down.

Test fit but rain stops play.

Looking gooood.

Rear view not impeded at all as it all lines up with the roll bar perfectly. More luck than judgement though!

moca2cv

On to today... Didn't want to mess about with anything so I just packed the car for the track evening. All pretty leisurely until...

Disaster! The bonnet won't close 😱 I just couldn't figure it out, but testing the latch with an Allen key showed that it wasn't catching. Of all the things to go wrong an hour before leaving...

Bumper off, catch off and the issue is clear - broken spring. I couldn't find another one, so out with the pliers to bend it in to some sort of shape so it hangs on to both ends.

Quick wipe down so it looks acceptable for the track.

The all important photo with track sign.

Looking right at home here with team mate Max's 2JZ S14 sharing the garage 🥰

Zoom zoom. Such a beautiful evening.

My daughter popped along to watch and support us which was an amazing surprise 🥰🥰🥰

Project Scope Creep and friends.

Observations from today:
I need more front camber.
The wing works.
The car is faster with hardtop on.
Don't forget all about tyre pressures.
I have improved by about ~2s a lap from last time! Happy days 😁

moca2cv

So after losing my engine lid pin on a trackday a few months back, I'd just been using a breaker bar to prop the lid open. Not ideal, and now with the extra weight of the wing I wanted something a little sturdier and on both sides to prevent sagging. I bought the gas strut set off eBay, and it arrived yesterday. Managed to find a spare half hour today, so my daughter and I headed out to the car to get them on!

Step one: grab a 10mm socket. Doesn't need to be deep.

Step two: undo the screws where the ball joints will go, pop on the brackets as marked, screw back up.

Step three: grease the ball joints with the supplied cotton bud and grease.

Step four: pop the struts in to place, then fiddle the retaining clips in to position.

Et voila! So easy a 4 year old can do it ☺️

Hammond

Quote from: moca2cv on July 31, 2021, 23:32So after losing my engine lid pin on a trackday a few months back, I'd just been using a breaker bar to prop the lid open. Not ideal, and now with the extra weight of the wing I wanted something a little sturdier and on both sides to prevent sagging. I bought the gas strut set off eBay, and it arrived yesterday. Managed to find a spare half hour today, so my daughter and I headed out to the car to get them on!

Step one: grab a 10mm socket. Doesn't need to be deep.

Step two: undo the screws where the ball joints will go, pop on the brackets as marked, screw back up.

Step three: grease the ball joints with the supplied cotton bud and grease.

Step four: pop the struts in to place, then fiddle the retaining clips in to position.

Et voila! So easy a 4 year old can do it ☺️

Great job team! 😎
05' silver

moca2cv

Last couple of days have had me feeling a bit all over the place!

First, I helped a friend swap his o2 sensor out. But swapped the wrong one, as I got bank 2 sensor 1 muddled with bank 1 sensor 2. Doh. Will have to revisit that one...

Then I helped another friend with some pics to help sell his wheels. To do this, I popped them on my car. And now I want to buy them, even though tyre selection is limited...

And today I've been trying to set up my old Windows 7 laptop to run techstream. What a faff. Hate computers, always give me the runaround!

The Other Stu

I've been trying to get Techstream to work too.
I found an old laptop and rebuilt it using 32 bit Windows 7 as it's what you're supposed to do.
Struggling.
No Longer Here

moca2cv

Quote from: The Other Stu on August  5, 2021, 10:08I've been trying to get Techstream to work too.
I found an old laptop and rebuilt it using 32 bit Windows 7 as it's what you're supposed to do.
Struggling.

I got it to work! Feel like a pro. My laptop is W7 32bit though, so maybe that's not a huge achievement! The cable I bought came with a really useful how to video, I can see if I can share it?

Anyway, activating the solenoids in the ABS showed all manner of funny things going on so there's definitely air in there. So back to the bleeding drawing board it is!

The Other Stu

Quote from: moca2cv on August  6, 2021, 08:54
Quote from: The Other Stu on August  5, 2021, 10:08I've been trying to get Techstream to work too.
Struggling.

I got it to work! Feel like a pro. My laptop is W7 32bit though, so maybe that's not a huge achievement! The cable I bought came with a really useful how to video, I can see if I can share it?

Anyway, activating the solenoids in the ABS showed all manner of funny things going on so there's definitely air in there. So back to the bleeding drawing board it is!
Would be great!
I've got my other one to work by pre-loading code, but can't see where to do that with techstream.
No Longer Here

moca2cv

Finally got around to buying some (more!) brake fluid to get bleeding these brakes again. I WILL get the air out the ABS... :D
I went for RBF600 this time. 660 wasn't much more but I don't usually change fluid religiously so wet boiling point is probably more important. Debating whether to get the Stahlbus brake bleeding nipples - they're a lot of money but do look like they'd make brake bleeding very easy... Maybe next time. But I'm definitely trying their sump plug! I'm all for super easy oil changes given I try to do them before every track day...
I'm also ready to start messing about with the Apexi PFC and have all the tools I need to get tweaking, but before that I need to install my wideband, so have a little gauge pod project in the works. Having face masks for Covid is very useful, as it involves cutting fibreglass, which is nasty. More to come on that.

In the meantime, on Saturday my daughter will get her first taste of track action on Brands GP, as part of their Drive! experiences. She is excited :)

moca2cv

Nothing better to do this evening so I engaged in some intimate time with the Dremel.

Popped half the contents of the engine bay off to get the old filter box abs pipework out.

Dremel time! Chopped up the airbox to leave just the MAF and associated tube work. Had to glue the inlet as it was a bit wobbly.

Assembled with Silicon Hose UK elbow and RamAir filter (my go to filter guys because they are reasonable, have good customer service, and DORTS).

Everything back together in time for dinner. A post meal blat is next!

Again, apologies for the rotation. No idea why it makes it landscape.

moca2cv

Did a little test drive last night to see how the intake sounded. Didn't get off to a good start, got 100 yards down the road and the engine light came on! Whoops. I had done my usual 'forgetting to reconnect the MAF' trick, which now being behind the battery was a mega faff! Managed to squeeze may hands in to get it on though, and carried on my way, although the light stayed on. Will have to reset that today.

So observations:
- You can hear the IACV really loudly (or at least I assume it's that, as the sound comes and goes around idle/light throttle).
- The MAF is rattling against the bulkhead at certain RPMs, which is fairly irritating. Will have to figure out a solution for that.
- The sound isn't much louder than a stock airbox - until you hit 4k rpm, then all hell breaks loose. It's really quite loud at the top end.
- It feels faster no doubt because of the sound. Will it be faster? I don't know. I'll hang on to the old panel filter and parts in case I want to revert to stock again though.

Overall, it's a pretty easy job to get a bit more D R A M A in your life.

Update: EML turned off on its own after the third restart - didn't know it could do that! Saved me finding the code reader :)

moca2cv

The great wiring project has begun. I am pretty rubbish at auto-electrics, so this will be a long and painful process for me! I will be wiring in:
- DRE Shift Lights
- Innovate MTX-L Wideband and serial connection
- Oil Temperature
- Oil Pressure
- FC Hako serial connection

To do this, I have purchased a lot of wire, connectors and heatshrink/conduit. The plan is to use connector blocks rather than regular crimp connectors to keep it relatively easy to take out/put back in should I need to do any behind dash work, and reduce the need for extra joins when extending the wires.

Gauges will be powered via the radio wiring - I have no radio, so all the IGN+, GND and illumination wiring is there to easily tap in to with an ISO wiring harness. Also gives me a common ground for that lot.

Still undecided how best to splice in to the tacho feed though.

Wish me luck :D

Tags: