Needing some advice on radios please

Started by SoloNomad, November 7, 2020, 09:45

SoloNomad

So it must be about 30 years since I've had to think about installing a radio in a car! So I just need a bit of guidance and advice please.

I'm ok with the sound of my stock radio - 2003 MR2, but I'd like something more up to date so that I can play stuff from my phone, my other cars have aux cable inputs. Having a quick look around it seems I can now get things that will link with my phone, can be controlled by my phone, even charge my phone, great that all seems good.

From what I understand it's a double-din unit? I've seen some guides on changing these and it looks like a faff but that's ok.

Is it a straight swap? I'm sure I'll need adaptor leads but anything else?

Is DAB worth it? - I didn't know you need a different aerial for that so what have people done? I read about windscreen aerials but do they obscure the view as it's a small screen anyway? Any recommendations?

Anyone used something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LFHUWLY/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=B00LFHUWLY&linkCode=as2&tag=brsuk-21&linkId=4fb5fd16b0c8431e588887a6f13d26ca

saw this recommended on a radio website and it's supposed to work for DAB and am/fm, and it would be good to get rid of that 1980s type aerial on the MR2.

Otherwise I've seen mentioned putting a switch on the aerial for when you want to play cd's, bluetooth, etc which seems like a good idea?

Thanks.

And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you ...

Bossworld

I'll try and take some of those in turn but:

1) Unless you go for a touch screen unit (which are a contentious matter with these cars due to the position of it) you'll be surprised how little they've moved on aesthetically in 30 years. Most sub-£100 units still have displays that could be substituted with a Casio calculator.

The thing that has moved on - a lot of cheaper units are now what's called 'deck less' so don't have a CD player. Possibly a good thing as fewer moving parts and less heat generated? Means they've got FM radio and USB / 3.5mm inputs as a minimum, and as you spend more you gain Bluetooth audio, telephone, DAB and so on

2) Double din/single din is personal preference. Again, a lot of the bigger units don't make good use of the space with a better quality display as an example.

If you go single DIN you'll need about £15 of plastics from eBay but you gain another little precious storage cubby for your phone or similar. If you go double din, you'll need either some plastics and infills, or the surround from a pre facelift Sony stereo.

Either way you'll likely need a Toyota> ISO adaptor loom but they're pennies.

3) I've got DAB as I listen to Radio 6. The stick on £10 Pioneer/clone windscreen one has been absolutely fine around the coast, Newcastle and the Scottish Borders. One caveat - if you run a dash cam or other 12v to 5v transformer, it will likely kill your DAB reception. Cured mine by swapping to a Kenwood 12v cam

4) a lot of us have spliced into the blue wire for the aerial power to disable it. I've got a little rocker switch by my knee. Think I've used the FM radio once in two years just to check it still works!

I'll come back to this post when I'm near a computer but I've fairly recently put up pics relating to the windscreen trim and fitting the DAB aerial. The removal process for the stock stereo is somewhere on the forum and possibly on YouTube and it's not too bad, especially in comparison to the other Toyota I've ever changed one on (1991 Corolla that needed have the dash removing)

EDIT: Link to pics of the windscreen aerial, you'll see how unobtrusive it is:
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?msg=834589

I've got pics of the aerial mod in my reader's ride first page and examples of the single din conversion.

barchetta_ms

It's possible to have USB & Bluetooth input with the standard FL head unit :

https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=68451.msg812360#msg812360

It requires a 'Y' adapter cable to fit

SoloNomad

Hi Bossworld, thanks for all that info, appreciateit.

barchetta_ms, also thanks, something to look into later ....

I just popped back to have a look if I had some answers, but the sun is out and I think it's more important to get out in the car and have a quick spin, research can wait :)

Bossworld

No worries. So long as my new car purchase goes through fine in early December I'll be listing my Pioneer unit on here anyway

SoloNomad

New car purchase - is the MR2 going?

Looked at your 'Reader's Wifes* Ride' link, looks like a you've done a lot of work to the car, it looks great! I think I'm going to end up with a long list of 'must look at and check' things to do, although I quite enjoy tinkering as long as it's not too costly! I must try and get some photos up of mine, first real drive of it yesterday, yes with top down, and it feels great!

*well let's face it some of these cars probably get more attention than our other halfs ;)

Bossworld

Quote from: SoloNomad on November  8, 2020, 09:57New car purchase - is the MR2 going?

Looked at your 'Reader's Wifes* Ride' link, looks like a you've done a lot of work to the car, it looks great! I think I'm going to end up with a long list of 'must look at and check' things to do, although I quite enjoy tinkering as long as it's not too costly! I must try and get some photos up of mine, first real drive of it yesterday, yes with top down, and it feels great!

*well let's face it some of these cars probably get more attention than our other halfs ;)

I've turned into a social pariah for discussing it but yes, sadly my car needs to go as I've not got the funds or space for three. Live in the North East but new London job means I'll be down there semi regularly. My mum also has a Sable MR2 (she was that impressed with mine) so it'll be a case of selling whichever one makes sense. I fitted a Kenwood single DIN unit to hers which she's used to now.

It's been a great thing to cut my teeth on mechanically and yet by the same token, if I don't have to get under cars again in the future I'll be happy either way. There are common issues with these cars (subframe, handbrake, PAS pipes, radiators and steering union joint) but they're not insurmountable and they survive better than the M-X5 from the same era.

Alex Knight

I'd like to add that for those who are technologically inclined, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto is a fantastic advancement for ICE.

No need for a separate DAB aerial or sat nav. I have one and highly recommended (assuming you have a generous enough mobile data package).

Bossworld

Quote from: Alex Knight on November  9, 2020, 15:08I'd like to add that for those who are technologically inclined, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto is a fantastic advancement for ICE.

No need for a separate DAB aerial or sat nav. I have one and highly recommended (assuming you have a generous enough mobile data package).

I'm very hopeful the MIB2 unit in the Golf will be able to have it activated, as luck would have it, it's got DAB too, but many Golf owners are fitting 'RCD330' units which are cheap-ish Android based headunits that support CarPlay/AndroidPlay and the rest.

Wireless CarPlay still seems to be in its infancy in aftermarket units though?  There are a handful of £60-ish adaptors that supposedly bridge the gap but I'm not sure what the lag is like.

Tags: