'00 track car

Started by AJRFulton, December 2, 2020, 16:48

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AJRFulton

Quote from: Joesson on September 26, 2022, 12:07@AJRFulton

Cheap/ retread tyres are something I bought once, on the advice of the Firestone tyre fitting shop. Four retreads on my Imp.
The front offside split on the side wall after about 7 miles. Some argument about You must have kerbed it but I got a refund and 4 new tyres.
Fortunately my incident was at manoeuvring speed on a residential road and no drama involved, other than what could have happened as we had young children at the time.
Will you be in bed at home, or in the hospital?
I do believe that Home Help can be provided and I suggest you don't be shy about asking for it before they ship you home.


I'm in hospital just now. I had a CT on arrival and it confirmed the injury, but the resolution of that scan isn't high enough to determine the exact nature of the fracture. Hoping to get an MRI today, and then that will be reviewed by a specialist and they'll decide the appropriate treatment.

If the bone is stable and it's assessed it's a normal compound fracture (of the L1 vertibrate), I'll be out of hospital this week and it will be home care for the next 6 weeks or so.

Of course it may be worse, but the consultant is advising me that this isn't expected - but they have to be sure, and (quite rightfully) will always be cautious with spinal injuries. With it being over the weekend, there has been a lack of availability of a spine specialist.

It isn't actually that painful, unless I move the wrong way. I'm sat in bed here fairly pain free. However.... Trying to move is a different story.

Joesson

Quote from: AJRFulton on September 26, 2022, 12:27I'm in hospital just now. I had a CT on arrival and it confirmed the injury, but the resolution of that scan isn't high enough to determine the exact nature of the fracture. Hoping to get an MRI today, and then that will be reviewed by a specialist and they'll decide the appropriate treatment.

If the bone is stable and it's assessed it's a normal compound fracture (of the L1 vertibrate), I'll be out of hospital this week and it will be home care for the next 6 weeks or so.

Of course it may be worse, but the consultant is advising me that this isn't expected - but they have to be sure, and (quite rightfully) will always be cautious with spinal injuries. With it being over the weekend, there has been a lack of availability of a spine specialist.

It isn't actually that painful, unless I move the wrong way. I'm sat in bed here fairly pain free. However.... Trying to move is a different story.

The weekend is often the time when things go wrong, the shops used to be closed, not so bad nowadays if you need a spark plug, a cup of sugar, or whatever. But  the Hospitals don't seem to cater for what is often a higher influx of patients at ha time. Sometimes with difficulty much of the time. I do believe that once you are out of A&E, in a bed, in a ward, things usually progress for the better.
You seem to be able to move your fingers to reply, so hopefully that movement will soon progress, pain free, to other parts.

AJRFulton

Quote from: Joesson on September 26, 2022, 13:39The weekend is often the time when things go wrong, the shops used to be closed, not so bad nowadays if you need a spark plug, a cup of sugar, or whatever. But  the Hospitals don't seem to cater for what is often a higher influx of patients at ha time. Sometimes with difficulty much of the time. I do believe that once you are out of A&E, in a bed, in a ward, things usually progress for the better.
You seem to be able to move your fingers to reply, so hopefully that movement will soon progress, pain free, to other parts.

My legs are moving fine too.

I came in expecting a pulled ligament, slipped disc, etc. I was surprised it's a fracture.

I played football and have broken 5 bones prior to this, and this isn't that painful when at rest.

Joesson

Quote from: AJRFulton on September 26, 2022, 14:17My legs are moving fine too.

I came in expecting a pulled ligament, slipped disc, etc. I was surprised it's a fracture.

I played football and have broken 5 bones prior to this, and this isn't that painful when at rest.

Thus far I have broken only one bone, my toe, next to my big toe, caught it in the gap between floor mats when training, one of the very few times I used floor mats!
It healed bent, and rubbed sore from the inside of my shoes. I asked my GP, he laughed!
I went home and used two wooden match sticks and some Elastoplast type tape and straightened the toe in my home made splint. After a while it straightened sufficient to prevent my toe rubbing on my shoe.
If I can be of assistance with your back, let me know!

Chilli Girl

I'm sorry to hear of your accident, hope you get better soon. Take care @AJRFulton
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

puma2

 :o gutted for you after was is a shocking experxance.
the main thing is your alive and talking.
as always things could have been worse.

the hard thing now is how to deal with the inactive.
keep posting on here and lets us how you get on.
hopefully you have some nice nurses looking after you before you get home.

take care and  keep fighting

Topdownman

Very sorry to hear about this. I hope you make a quick and pain free recovery. Sounds like you will have plenty of time on your hands to argue with your insurance company and research your new van!
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

AJRFulton

Quote from: Topdownman on September 28, 2022, 09:26Very sorry to hear about this. I hope you make a quick and pain free recovery. Sounds like you will have plenty of time on your hands to argue with your insurance company and research your new van!

The insurance claim has been surprisingly easy to deal with. Engineers have assessed the van and agree the van suffered an offside rear failure. It's obviously going to be a total loss.

I should be paid out by the end of the week.

Unfortunately I am still in hospital though, so - it will be a winter project getting a new van ready.

Carolyn

Get well. Please let it take the time it needs to take!
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

MikeBoo

Ouch! (a slight understatement).
Take it easy & I hope your recovery is swift.
2001 Toyota Liquid Silver (1D0) with hard top & original soft top.
Yokohama AD08RS all round.
Replacement manifold, BC coil overs,
Whiteline anti roll bars front & rear & Ultra Racing front strut brace.
Location = East Hampshire, UK

Petrus

Quote from: Carolyn on September 28, 2022, 18:24Get well. Please let it take the time it needs to take!

Impossible to ´like´ that enough.


AJRFulton

After the accident, I did put a post up on the Instagram account I use for my racing. Warning about cheap, part worn and retread tyres.

Got a message from a lad which made me feel glad I posted up about it.






That is disaster waiting to happen.

Alex Knight

I'm sure that your story is a lesson in and of itself, and I'm sure that you won't ever again use retreads/remoulds, and I'm glad you're ok.

But I cannot for the life of me understand what (apart from money) drove you to go down this route in the first place?

I learned very early on that there are things you just don't skimp on, like bin bags, brakes, washing up liquid, tyres...

AJRFulton

#238
Quote from: Alex Knight on September 30, 2022, 09:36I'm sure that your story is a lesson in and of itself, and I'm sure that you won't ever again use retreads/remoulds, and I'm glad you're ok.

But I cannot for the life of me understand what (apart from money) drove you to go down this route in the first place?

I learned very early on that there are things you just don't skimp on, like bin bags, brakes, washing up liquid, tyres...

They were on the van when I bought it. I changed the fronts and left the backs (money reasons).

I only do about 1500 miles a year in the van, and it's never loaded anywhere near its weight, so it has never been a priority to change them. One of those things on a to do list, that never gets done.

puma2

 :) hi what is the latest now with your recovery if you don't mind me asking :)

tricky1138

Dont know how I missed this, but get well soon.

The cracking and splitting seen above is not unique to cheap / remould tyres. I came out into the work car cark a few weeks ago to see a car with a similar splits in the tyres on both front wheels.

I managed to speak to them about it and they just shrugged it off saying they'll get it done sometime! There is no teaching some people, but hopefully they dont injure anyone.
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

AJRFulton

Quote from: puma2 on September 30, 2022, 13:29:) hi what is the latest now with your recovery if you don't mind me asking :)

The doctors are satisfied the bone is stable.

I'm just awaiting discharge, but in a brace for 6-8wks. So minimal activity and a few adaptations the hospital are giving me for the recovery phase.

Will be able to do a phased return to work in 10-12wks, all going well. Will be at least 12wks before I'm able to exercise. Going to be about 4mths before I can return to sport.


AJRFulton

Quote from: tricky1138 on September 30, 2022, 14:55Dont know how I missed this, but get well soon.

The cracking and splitting seen above is not unique to cheap / remould tyres. I came out into the work car cark a few weeks ago to see a car with a similar splits in the tyres on both front wheels.

I managed to speak to them about it and they just shrugged it off saying they'll get it done sometime! There is no teaching some people, but hopefully they dont injure anyone.

My tyres we're fine, passed an MOT with them a few days before. Checked the pressures as well the day before and no obvious defect.

Still awaiting the engineers report for the van (although 100% it will be a write off)

puma2

Quote from: AJRFulton on September 30, 2022, 14:59The doctors are satisfied the bone is stable.

I'm just awaiting discharge, but in a brace for 6-8wks. So minimal activity and a few adaptations the hospital are giving me for the recovery phase.

Will be able to do a phased return to work in 10-12wks, all going well. Will be at least 12wks before I'm able to exercise. Going to be about 4mths before I can return to sport.

good man keep at it. the Frustration of not being active for so long is probably  the hardest thing to deal with.
Now do as your told with all the exercise and i hope some one at home can make u a cuppa  and look after you.   



AJRFulton

#244
And like that the insurance engineers called me.

They recovered part of (what they think is) a scaffold board end plate from the tyre, which was embedded into the tyre with a nail.

So.... looks like road debris caused the tyre to fail.

Claim seems straight forward from here, happy enough with their valuation. Should be settled for next week.

Topdownman

You're happy with their valuation? Are they still giving you drugs?! Just kidding, glad you are happy with things and that it was debris that caused the accident and your assessment of your vehicle was good and no fault on your part.

A 4 month wait before a return to sport sounds like a win (but still not something any of us would want).

I hate following scaffolding lorries as it looks to me like they just rely on gravity keeping all their bits in the wagon.

Get well soon.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

AJRFulton

Quote from: Topdownman on September 30, 2022, 16:09You're happy with their valuation? Are they still giving you drugs?! Just kidding, glad you are happy with things and that it was debris that caused the accident and your assessment of your vehicle was good and no fault on your part.

A 4 month wait before a return to sport sounds like a win (but still not something any of us would want).

I hate following scaffolding lorries as it looks to me like they just rely on gravity keeping all their bits in the wagon.

Get well soon.

Yeah, a 2012 transit 'day van' with 120k on clock. They're offering me £4.5k for it.

Van cost me £3.5k 2yrs ago and then spent about £1k on making it a day van (and salvaged a lot of the bits leisure batteries, diesel heater, fridge, inverter, etc). I had insured it for a value of £5k.