Square front number plate

Started by Iain, January 1, 2021, 19:06

Iain

Anyone done it? Im not really a fan of the way the standard one sits so just thinking a square one would suit. Pretty sure i could fabricate some way of mounting it

Jay

Mocked a square plate up to mine in the summer and figured I'd go for it.

You cannot view this attachment.

Still haven't got round to sorting it lol.

Carolyn

Here's one.  But you need a Toyota Stage Two TRD bumper to pull it off....

Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Iain

Quote from: Jay on January  1, 2021, 19:16Mocked a square plate up to mine in the summer and figured I'd go for it.

Still haven't got round to sorting it lol.

I do like the look of that

Iain

Quote from: Carolyn on January  1, 2021, 19:21Here's one.  But you need a Toyota Stage Two TRD bumper to pull it off....

Thanks for the pics, also looks good. Im guessing those front bumpers are pretty darn hard to find

Carolyn

Quote from: Iain on January  1, 2021, 19:24
Quote from: Carolyn on January  1, 2021, 19:21Here's one.  But you need a Toyota Stage Two TRD bumper to pull it off....

Thanks for the pics, also looks good. Im guessing those front bumpers are pretty darn hard to find

Rocking horse pooh.  I do have a spare....

Petrus

Quote from: Carolyn on January  1, 2021, 19:26Rocking horse pooh.  I do have a spare....

Beejeezus, you deserve the nick ´Treasure trove Carolyn´...

Ardent

Who else would have spare rocking horse poo.
What a player.

Ardent

Quote from: Iain on January  1, 2021, 19:06Anyone done it? Im not really a fan of the way the standard one sits so just thinking a square one would suit. Pretty sure i could fabricate some way of mounting it
I'm with you. I detest the front plate holder. Hence Why I went stick on.

Ardent

Did square ish on the rear.

LeRich

My 2 has a 5 character reg number on a shortened plate. The plate is legal with correct lettering and spacing, but the whole thing is shorter.

Ardent

That and plates with a number 1, helps reduce the width a lot.

Iain

Quote from: Ardent on January  1, 2021, 20:04
Quote from: Iain on January  1, 2021, 19:06Anyone done it? Im not really a fan of the way the standard one sits so just thinking a square one would suit. Pretty sure i could fabricate some way of mounting it
I'm with you. I detest the front plate holder. Hence Why I went stick on.
Stick on is another option i like the sound of. Guess i'll have to take a gamble and get one ordered

Ardent

Just before you do.
When you remove the original holder. You are likely to find 2 manufacturer/assembly  holes. These will need filling.

Jay

My plate had been screwed on with two self tappers:

Don't remember seeing mounting points but I know the type you mean Jason:

I've actually imported a few of the Toyota plate surrounds for my other cars (imports) as I quite like the OEM approach:

Will have another look at the nose whenever I get time set aside.  Have a brake overhaul to attempt on the poor thing amongst other bits.

Iain

Quote from: Ardent on January  2, 2021, 13:06Just before you do.
When you remove the original holder. You are likely to find 2 manufacturer/assembly  holes. These will need filling.

Yes ive seen these. The whole bumper is in need of a respray so if i decide on the square or stick on plate will get it all done at once.

@Jay, mine is a facelift so the plate is mounted different to your PFL

Topdownman

A bit left field but I remember seeing square plates on custom cars a few years ago mounted onto a modded towing eye so they sat a few inches off the car.

Would probably not look right on a standard car though!
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

jonbill

This is the "standard" Japanese import plate attached by velcro. It used to be on Carolyn's rocking horse poo.

Ardent

I'm sure that could that could be shaved down. Lot of excess white plate that is not needed.

Iain

Quote from: jonbill on January  2, 2021, 19:19This is the "standard" Japanese import plate attached by velcro. It used to be on Carolyn's rocking horse poo.
Thanks for that pic, good to see one on a FL.

2zzMRS

Quote from: Carolyn on January  1, 2021, 19:21Rocking horse pooh.  I do have a spare..

I don't mind taking it off your hands 😜

Carolyn

Quote from: 2zzMRS on January  3, 2021, 21:46
Quote from: Carolyn on January  1, 2021, 19:21Rocking horse pooh.  I do have a spare..

I don't mind taking it off your hands 😜

I'll think about that one.  You probably wouldn't like the price, though!

Smithy

I went square and cut down the original holder. i think they look much better. I like the JDM surround you have though.
03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

Iain

Quote from: Smithy on January  6, 2021, 12:06I went square and cut down the original holder. i think they look much better. I like the JDM surround you have though.
Cutting down the original holder is what i had in mind, so good to know it works and looks good, cheers

EJMK3

Quote from: Carolyn on January  1, 2021, 19:26

Thanks for the pics, also looks good. Im guessing those front b
Quote from: Carolyn on January  1, 2021, 19:26

if said pooh is still lying around would be very interested in sweeping it up for you! Pm me with details if interested? :)

Tags: