Spyderchat down??? SPYDERCHAT TEMP SITE/THREAD

Started by Anonymous, May 1, 2005, 00:16

Anonymous

it's been the whole day as far as I know. anyone know whats up?

Anonymous

Yes, I know.  You and I have been banned.  No, seriously, I have no idea.  Too bad because I have 2ZZ-related questions.  Want some advice on clutch and flywheel, plus I'm trying to decide between Power FC and an LSD (can't do both right now).

Anonymous

Quote from: "Beanie"Yes, I know.  You and I have been banned.  No, seriously, I have no idea.  Too bad because I have 2ZZ-related questions.  Want some advice on clutch and flywheel, plus I'm trying to decide between Power FC and an LSD (can't do both right now).

I guess I've been banned too! Anything I can help with Beanie?

I've got a stock clutch with Fidanza flywheel. Works great so far no problems however a little more grip would be nice. I can't give recomendations on a clutch upgrade though. I've only tried stock.

Id go with the LSD now because it is easier (ie: cheaper) to do it while the tranny is out anyway and the pfc can easily be added later. However, pfc is a more tangible bang for your buck.... which can be put to better use with the LSD already there. IMHO

I don't recall, were going 6speed too? Or sticking with the 5?

Anonymous

Beanie, you know I don't have a dog in this fight, but I'd ditto with Ditto. If you can spring for the LSD, you'll never have a better chance to slap one in. The savings on labor makes this a no-brainer. Also, note the path that Gino took with the Haas kit; he strengthed or upgraded everything possible, then added the HP to take advantage of it.

Anonymous

I'm getting a 6-speed, even though my 5-speed is in fine shape.  The 6-speed's ratios are better for staying in lift.  JoeSchmoe posted a link on SC: brand new 6-speeds can be had for under $1700.   w www.car-part.com w  has used ones that cost up to $1500 and there's this risk of buying something used.  So I'll probably get a new one unless LittleRocket can convince me otherwise.

An LSD would come into play at an autocross, but I don't do many of those.  LittleRocket says they are a PITA to install and I got the impression that he doesn't really want to do it (could be wrong).  The port and polish is a good deal (labor) and that goes along with raising the rev limit to 9K, which you can only do with a PFC.  Additionally, I know what a PFC can do for VVT and have read that the cam changeover can be programmed better than stock.  You are right, though, this would be the time to install an LSD.  Maybe both can happen.  We'll see.

A lightweight flywheel may (probably will, in fact) require some more effort on the Power FC programming for idling.  It's pretty much a no-brainer if the engine is out.  I don't know which one to buy, though.

Clutch: I'm not hard on clutches most of the time and want a normal pedal effort for driving in traffic, so something just a little stronger and longer-lasting than stock would be best for me.   Although I like the idea of a turbo 2ZZ, I just don't see myself dropping many thousands more into this car, at least not for a few years.  The only reason I can imagine myself doing it in a year or so would be boredom.  So a clutch needn't handle massive amounts of torque.  I'm more concerned about my left knee day in and day out.

The '04 Matrix engine with 1750 miles was a steal at $1850 shipped.  I was expecting to pay $1600 for a lesser condition engine and spending a lot getting it freshened by LittleRocket.

Anonymous

ok guys, where is spyderchat?

Little Rocket posts a lot in:  m http://mr2oc.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7 m
if you need to speak with him abotu 2zz, etc.

Anonymous

anything wrong with this $1200 2zz and it sounds like it included the 6 speed???
2003 Engine Toyota Matrix 1.8,6-SPD,FWD,06-02    26K 050058 $1200 Fulford's Auto Salvage, Inc. USA-AL(Enterprise) E-mail 1-800-377-8661
 m http://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi m

strange how they range from $1,000 to $3,200. that is quite a spread.

Jap GT300

Quote from: "Beanie"An LSD would come into play at an autocross, but I don't do many of those.  LittleRocket says they are a PITA to install and I got the impression that he doesn't really want to do it (could be wrong).  The port and polish is a good deal (labor) and that goes along with raising the rev limit to 9K, which you can only do with a PFC.  Additionally, I know what a PFC can do for VVT and have read that the cam changeover can be programmed better than stock.  You are right, though, this would be the time to install an LSD.  Maybe both can happen.  We'll see.

I thought the cam changerover point was perfect.  Weren't there problems with people changing it or does increasing the rev cutout make it useable?

If you were going to 9000rpm were you changing anything internally?

This is something I want to do but I thought the valves weren't strong enough.

Anonymous

Beanie if longer lasting is what you want for a clutch, I cryo those too.   s:) :) s:)

Liz

Shall we change the title of this thread to something to do with clutches and maybe change what forum it is in?
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Liz"Shall we change the title of this thread to something to do with clutches and maybe change what forum it is in?

most of them are from spyderchat. this is what they call thread drift. pretty typical on spyderchat. when there was a spyderchat.

SteveJ

s:roll: :roll: s:roll:   *YAWN*   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Anonymous

I think the title is appropriate.  People who normally post on there will come to this thread, so we may as well keep it all one place.  If the title is objectionable for some reason, feel free to change it.  Perhaps the thread could be deleted when we are done?  I don't really care, so moderators/admin can do as they see fit.

The cam changeover is too abrubt (and maybe too high) for autocross, IMO.  I seem to recall that someone smoothed it out with a PFC... not sure if they lowered it or not, but at least smoothed it out some.

I'm getting valves and valve springs from monkeywrench and LittleRocket is going to do a port and polish, at a minimum.  The only other MWR parts will be ARP studs for exhaust manifold and head (since the head will be coming off and a new header fitted).  LittleRocket may see fit to do more internally so it will be able to handle 9K RPM safely, but I don't want to go nuts with labor on top of the basic conversion cost because I feel like I'm forced to choose between PFC and LSD as it is.  I will be blowing my original budget, which isn't set in stone, but domestic bliss is worth something.  s:) :) s:)

I'm very open to suggestions at this point.

Oh, by the way, when they list "6-SPD", they mean the engine is usally mated with a 6-speed, not that one comes with it.

Anonymous

Beanie, I got ahold of LR over on mr2oc pretty quick. I think most of us with 2zz and pfc have lowered the cam change to 6k then with a little tweaking it smoothes out pretty well.

On the arp studs. I've had my exhaust manifold on and off 3 times with the original bolts. No leaks, no problems. I think the head bolts are more of an issue though. LR told me to measure my head bolts per the instructions in the BGB. Mine showed no stretch.   s:) :) s:)   I may get the head bolt kit anyway, and will eventually get the exhaust manifold kit when I attempt to supercharge.

By the way if your going for the port and polish, and don't get the pfc I would guess you will be running lean. Maybe not the stock ecu may be able to correct it, but you definitely won't get the full benefit.

Oh and anyone have any news on Spyderchat yet?

Liz

Quote from: "Dugan"
Quote from: "Liz"Shall we change the title of this thread to something to do with clutches and maybe change what forum it is in?

most of them are from spyderchat. this is what they call thread drift. pretty typical on spyderchat. when there was a spyderchat.

That's me told, and with the greatest respect I do know what thread drift is hence the reason for my post. Do carry on.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

Oh the heck with it.  PFC and LSD (provided he's willing to install an LSD).  It really needs both.  I can get forgiveness from the Warden I mean Mrs. later.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Thank you, Liz... and I always try behave myself over here.  When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Beanie"When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  Leave town and conquer the rest of the world?!

s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Joe Schmoe

Quote from: "Beanie"JoeSchmoe posted a link on SC: brand new 6-speeds can be had for under $1700.
Don't forget shipping is 15%.  And on a purchase that size, I'd call them before ordering to confirm thier policy on big-ticket items.  Were I you, I'd not ask them, "Can I really buy a Celica GT-S transmission for $1600?".  A little more tact would probably serve you well.

Anonymous

I appreciate the link and advice.  It would just be a transaction... no need to remark about the price being right.

Maybe I can figure out how to install the LSD myself.  That's assuming I wouldn't be in the way.  He's ultra busy.  The world has beaten a path to his door.  We are lucky to have someone like him in the community, that's for sure.

Anonymous

With 22xy's write up the LSD is pretty easy. The hard part is shimming correctly, and the torque wrench/torque reducer required is a bit hard to find (it calls for 0.13 to 0.27 inch lbs). I'm sure these wouldn't be much trouble if you were in LR proximity.

Anonymous

Quote from: "ekona"

Isnt that another well known country that does that?

Anyway - back onto Liz's comment, I would change the title, but they have lost me, not sure if this is about Clutches, LSD (drugs?), engines, flywheels, gear boxes.

For the moment, I am with Beanie, it can be left as it is, its being added to by what looks like "like minded" posters and seems to be drawing in the people that are assisting.  If it goes on and on, then I will move it to the appropriate area.

Those of you who are not interested in the thread (those non technical people like me) check out the link about the flash wash system and get to halfords to get one (in fact its a lovely day) so put the system up and the top down   s8) 8) s8)

Tem

Just change the title to "Spyderchat 2"  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

While we're on that topic, anyone know what's going on there? Just agreed on a sale with someone through PM's there and now I can't pay him  s:? :? s:?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Jap GT300

Hey Ditto,

I got my package.  Thanks for the little pressie   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  it works a treat.

Adam

Anonymous

Quote from: "cstevens"

Isnt that another well known country that does that?
 s8) 8) s8)

quite a few:
Germany did for a while - then lost, France (lots of colonies), England (tons of colonies everywhere - they lost America), Japan tried, North Korea will probably try south Korea soon, China plans to conquer the world, Russia tried Afghanistan but failed. did I miss any?

Quote from: "cstevens"

Anyway - back onto Liz's comment, I would change the title, but they have lost me, not sure if this is about Clutches, LSD (drugs?), engines, flywheels, gear boxes.
  s8) 8) s8)

LSD is limited slip diff.

Best wishes to ya mate with the fancy car wash.

Anonymous

Spyderchat seems to be back. I could only open it through the portal page though.

Tags: