New project

Started by Petrus, April 21, 2021, 21:38

Petrus

Quote from: Gibla on May 31, 2021, 12:12Silly me, I thought it was to replace the soft top completely, hence the weight reference.

Could do if you track the car. Hence I was amazed that it did not exist.

I would be tempted to take the soft top out íf my overnight life style was not thát .... mobile.

Over half the ´lodgings´ have no covered parking for the itsybitsy so I do need to be able to have it proper rain proof. ´No dear, not coming over; it could rain tonight´ is not worth the weight saving ;-)

Experienced based btw.
With the previous soft top I often left it simply over overnight and yes, have needed to rún out at night to close it. And yes, also have missed hearing the nightly shower and had to drive sitting on a plastic garbage bag ....

Gibla

My vehicles presently have to live outside, but attempting to get a double 'car-port', if that comes to pass I may consider ditching the soft top completely and add a 1/2 cover for additional overnight coverage.
Just need to buy the other half some suitable waterproof clothing then, jico downpours :-)
stock 2001 Dark Green MR-S (6R4)
stock 2004 Black - repurchased from guy who bought yellow 'un

Dev

Quote from: Gibla on May 31, 2021, 12:58My vehicles presently have to live outside, but attempting to get a double 'car-port', if that comes to pass I may consider ditching the soft top completely and add a 1/2 cover for additional overnight coverage.
Just need to buy the other half some suitable waterproof clothing then, jico downpours :-)

I read an article long ago that found that not all covers are the same, a quality car cover with the right material can actually protect and retard many of the damaging effects.  I have seen first hand the difference between a garaged kept car and one that sits outside. The amount of weathering including UV damage is like subjecting your car to being sandblasted. 
  For some vintage cars some of the owners go overboard with enclosed nitrogen filled tents. 

Petrus

There´s a real gale force wind blowing here. Branches breaking and all so ideal for a test drive. Got up to 80 km/h in all directions of the wind
Well, a bit of a bummer as it is being sucked up and then catches wind.
Not an unknow as many tonneaus came with a central tie down strap to hook up tu tunnel or seat rail. This one needs it too. So, another detail to sort.
Also clear is that it is a toúring thing. Befitting respecting speed limits ;-)  Also, to put it in perspective, the top speed of the Nimbus sidecar combo :-)
Feels comfie and almost protected though. Very different.

The winds are also bringing the point home of keeping debris out while leaving it parked. The tarp had a lót of dust, sand, leaves and other light dirt on it and that is in 2 hours only while under the car port.

Petrus

Wow, thát was quick!
The hardware has already been dropped off at the gas station.

Will leave the tarp at Bubbly´s tomorrow. She will probably mod it over the weekend with me doing the last fitting after.

Whát a project.
Quite fun, learned a lot, even operated the sewing machine a bit. Hope Bubbly will teach me more. I lóve being able to do things myself and the machine sure beats doing larger pieces by hand.
Was rather a challenge relation wise too but after one step backwards, twó forwards  8)

Petrus

The tonneau is at Bubbly´s.
The wto side slits need to be adjusted (tightened up) somewhat and the eyelet for the mid strap fitted.

Here´s the car as parked in the real world  ;) 
We marked the bits to tighten. After modding add two more fitting so the sides and rear curves tighten up.
It is btw a very good illustration of the anti-sun function. The car next to it has a reflecting shield behind the windscreen. I had one behind the seat too. Nów the inside, being shielded from ány direct sunlight keeps cooler still.

You cannot view this attachment.

shnazzle

I don't hate that. Keeps the sun out and the cockpit nice and cool. Particularly relevant to you
...neutiquam erro.

Petrus

Quote from: shnazzle on June  4, 2021, 14:06I don't hate that. Keeps the sun out and the cockpit nice and cool. Particularly relevant to you

And yes, it ´s a bit less trouble to raise/lower the hood but after even the sortest pause in the sun the interior gets scorching hot. Leaving it down is cooler than closed surprisingly enough but then it is all in the open for dirt and lookers. The tarp is cooler still ánd covers it all.

Even though I do not do much leisure driving, who knows the tarp will motivate me to, I am quite chuffed with it. It really sets the car apart from all those other MR2s which are not about over here ;-)

Petrus

Dóne!!!

Going to the hosptal this afternoon, driving tonneau mounted. At the parking simply zip closed and in I go...

8)  old school,  I think.

Petrus

Two weeks further on the road:

It has been on since completion and with the strap tied down up to 120 km/h is the user range. You can still overtake from there but it just is not quiet enough for touring that way. Also windows down 120 is enough.

On chilly mornings the heating is éver so much more effective as the warmth stays under the tarp meaning you can drive short sleeves at sweater temps.

One Sunday morning it started drizzling on the drive so a neat test I thought. The drizzle gained volume to leave standing water on the road when I got to the village. Still just the occasional drop on my shirt.
Wanted to stop under the roof of the loacal gas station and ask whether a package had arrived. Some 30 motorcyclist geared up with intergral armour had sought refuge but regardless snuggeled up the car réal close despite angry territorial glares.
Nope, no package, so I moved o, álmost accidentally spinning the wheels when turning up the tarmac leaving the cowering bunch of whímps  ;D
Even pottering hrough the village a 20 - 30 km/h I received just a few drops and at the other end all water went óver the interior.
Some ten minutes further on, the rain stopped. Yes it définitely keeps the heaven´s water out longer.

As observed earlier it is very handy for leaving the car parked ´open´.
For two up or a sprited drive it is easily folded behind the seat and presto, you can roll up the side windows as needed.

All in all I´d say it is a véry useful acessory for hard core top down drivers.

Petrus

Today washed the car. With the tonneau on. It has not been off since I put the finalised version on a month ago.

So @Ardent please take note; only wíndows down use; how about thát?!  ;D

Back to the washing. Not an issue at all. Just not aim the hose at the tarp. The water does not run into the car, most runs off to the back and sides, hardly any pools. Could easily spray, sponge, rinse and wipe.

So, still rather chuffed with the thing and it sure is unique!

Tags: