Injector cleaning/flow machine on the way

Started by m1tch, April 23, 2021, 11:26

m1tch

I have decided to invest in an injector flow bench/cleaning rig, its mainly for myself as peace of mind to check the flow of the injectors I am planning to fit to my project car (currently planning to test some Deka 630cc injectors). Issue being is that the Deka injectors aren't flow matched, they might be find but wanted to check to make sure they are fairly closely matched in terms of flow.

Once I am happy with them I might then turn my attention to cleaning any spare 1zz injectors I have and creating a few flow matched sets. I know that the MR2 Championship cars might be interested in this as having a cleaned and reconditioned set of stock injectors might improve performance vs older injectors with not so uniform flow.

I might actually look to setup a small business for this club as it seems that the going rate for injector cleaning and flow checking is about £10-£12 an injector.

Once everything arrives I will let everyone know but might be on the lookout for spare used injectors to clean up - interested to see what my stock injectors are like after 180k miles!

shnazzle

Funnily enough I was about to hit the button on a flow bench about a month ago. They're cheap and quite good and cleaning fluid is easily available.
It was almost worth buying the kit instead of sending them off. But you're unlikely to clean your injectors more than once, so I'd happily play 10-12 per injector to send them to you.
...neutiquam erro.

m1tch

Quote from: shnazzle on April 23, 2021, 12:05Funnily enough I was about to hit the button on a flow bench about a month ago. They're cheap and quite good and cleaning fluid is easily available.
It was almost worth buying the kit instead of sending them off. But you're unlikely to clean your injectors more than once, so I'd happily play 10-12 per injector to send them to you.

They are pretty good value, like I said, only really got it for myself and is cheap insurance for my engine build - just to sense check that the injectors I am planning to fit do flow well and are close enough matched.

I have some Flow-rite ASNU calibration fluid for flow testing in the garage ready to go (not that cheap!) and have some ultrasonic fluid on the way as well, also bought a fair number of ASNU 17 O rings which are for our injectors (the one at the top).

Once I get the setup up and running I will perhaps look to offer this as a service for the club - much like the bucket bin. Might even be a case of if I have spares here I can offer them as a matched set in return for the used set off whatever engine its currently running on like a core charge.

shnazzle

Quote from: m1tch on April 23, 2021, 13:48
Quote from: shnazzle on April 23, 2021, 12:05Funnily enough I was about to hit the button on a flow bench about a month ago. They're cheap and quite good and cleaning fluid is easily available.

They are pretty good value, like I said, only really got it for myself and is cheap insurance for my engine build - just to sense check that the injectors I am planning to fit do flow well and are close enough matched.

I have some Flow-rite ASNU calibration fluid for flow testing in the garage ready to go (not that cheap!) and have some ultrasonic fluid on the way as well, also bought a fair number of ASNU 17 O rings which are for our injectors (the one at the top).

Once I get the setup up and running I will perhaps look to offer this as a service for the club - much like the bucket bin. Might even be a case of if I have spares here I can offer them as a matched set in return for the used set off whatever engine its currently running on like a core charge.
I'm happy to send two sets of injectors to kickstart the "spare" process
...neutiquam erro.

m1tch

Quote from: shnazzle on April 23, 2021, 13:50

Will wait until I get things up a running - but might take you up on that offer, have a full set spare in the garage at the moment, plus the stock ones on the car. Always see loads of 1zzs being broken and then scrapped sometimes with the injectors and everything on them - will work out how best to organise things if this is a go-er!

m1tch

Ultrasonic fluid has arrived, just waiting for the machine to get here, have assembled a small garage trolley to keep everything together and neat :)

Call the midlife!

Quote from: m1tch on April 23, 2021, 13:55

Will wait until I get things up a running - but might take you up on that offer, have a full set spare in the garage at the moment, plus the stock ones on the car. Always see loads of 1zzs being broken and then scrapped sometimes with the injectors and everything on them - will work out how best to organise things if this is a go-er!
I saw a photo the other week from one of the regular breakers with a row of around 6 engines all destined for the scrapper, still had intake manifolds on them and everything.

I know it's a question of balancing effort against reward but couldn't help but think there must be more parts to be salvaged.
60% of the time it works everytime...

m1tch

Quote from: Call the midlife! on April 26, 2021, 13:38
Quote from: m1tch on April 23, 2021, 13:55

I saw a photo the other week from one of the regular breakers with a row of around 6 engines all destined for the scrapper, still had intake manifolds on them and everything.

I know it's a question of balancing effort against reward but couldn't help but think there must be more parts to be salvaged.

Its why if everything goes to plan I will just look to see if the regular breakers would do a deal if the injectors aren't sold before going to the scrapheap etc.

m1tch

The machine should be arriving today - fingers crossed!

Have a set of stock 1zz injectors to test to see what they are like, they are an unknown set in terms of mileage etc so will be interesting to see what its like as a random set.

m1tch

Have been playing around with the machine for a bit - seems a pretty good bit of kit!

@shnazzle happy to run any injectors you want through the machine, main reason to get the machine was to check the Deka 630cc injectors and how closely they flowed (3 were identical with 1 of them around 2% higher flow).

shnazzle

Quote from: m1tch on June  2, 2021, 13:57Have been playing around with the machine for a bit - seems a pretty good bit of kit!

@shnazzle happy to run any injectors you want through the machine, main reason to get the machine was to check the Deka 630cc injectors and how closely they flowed (3 were identical with 1 of them around 2% higher flow).
That's great. I have a set I can send. Would be good to know if that's the source of my intermittent misfires I've had for years. I've tried everything else.

I'll pm
...neutiquam erro.

J88TEO

m1tch,
Would you mind giving my injectors a go?
My 2 is idling a bit lumpy.
Cheers.

m1tch

Quote from: J88TEO on June  3, 2021, 09:56m1tch,
Would you mind giving my injectors a go?
My 2 is idling a bit lumpy.
Cheers.

I can indeed - drop me a PM, Shnazzle has sent some over for me to run through the cleaner - not set up a production line yet but shouldn't take too long to get them cleaned and then sent back out again (don't know if you are planning to send a spare set or the set you have in the car at the moment).

shnazzle

I'm not in a rush mate so please don't feel like you need to turn them around quickly.
I've sent 2 sets so play around, do what you need/want to do
...neutiquam erro.

Tags: