Hardtops!

Started by Chilli Girl, July 1, 2021, 11:38

BARNPOT2000

Quote from: s12vea on July 16, 2021, 20:22
Quote from: BARNPOT2000 on July 16, 2021, 20:12
Quote from: s12vea on July 14, 2021, 15:55
Quote from: Zxrob on July 14, 2021, 11:07
Quote from: s12vea on July  1, 2021, 16:00
Quote from: Chilli Girl on July  1, 2021, 11:38Just out of interest, I understand that these are rapidly increasing in price - what's the going rate at moment? 1k depending on condition?
I would say £800 sale price vs £1000 advertised price at the minute

I was watching one on fleeybay, silver, just gone for over £1200 :o

Rob
I saw that, just crazy! I guess the new owner is on the forum as per one of his delivery network posts. Always hard to see the value at £1200 for me but at if the buyer is happy to pay that much fair play.
Just wish I had a garage full of hardtop snow when they were only a few hundred quid
Yep that was probably me , obviously would have liked to have got it for less, but I guess I wasnt the only one willing to push the boat out to get one, happy to have got a decent one though.

I guess if you were happy to pay that price it's a win!
They do look nice with the hardtop on and now you have the best of both
I am hoping both the car and the hardtop will, at least , hold their price. Its not the main reason for wanting the car of course but it would be nice to think they are not depreciating. ;)
TF099 silver

BARNPOT2000

By the way, is it possible to buy the rubber seals for the hardtops? I'm thinking they will need replacing in time.
TF099 silver

J88TEO

I saw it somewhere...I think it was a Malaysian dealer, NOS.

BARNPOT2000

Quote from: J88TEO on July 19, 2021, 15:18I saw it somewhere...I think it was a Malaysian dealer, NOS.
Hens teeth then 😂
TF099 silver

Iain

Quote from: BARNPOT2000 on July 18, 2021, 21:26By the way, is it possible to buy the rubber seals for the hardtops? I'm thinking they will need replacing in time.

Some of the rubber seals you may be able to find on ebay (or similar) as universal ones and cut them yourself.

One of the small ones is almost identical to one that ran along the cills/bottom of doors on my old mini.

BARNPOT2000

Quote from: Iain on July 20, 2021, 07:01
Quote from: BARNPOT2000 on July 18, 2021, 21:26By the way, is it possible to buy the rubber seals for the hardtops? I'm thinking they will need replacing in time.

Some of the rubber seals you may be able to find on ebay (or similar) as universal ones and cut them yourself.

One of the small ones is almost identical to one that ran along the cills/bottom of doors on my old mini.
Thanks, I'll keep a look out for them.
TF099 silver

Roj

Can't recall where I saw it but someone is making carbon fibre hardtops for around EUR2k including seals and possibly a rear screen. Think they're at pre-production stage just now but will be taking orders soon. If I find the link/ad I'll post it here. £2k (inc customs, P&P etc.) seems nuts at first but when you compare it to the current price of OEM items it's not crazy, plus losing a few kilos up high would go a little way to justifying the extra expense for some of the more serious track addicts :)

The guy who builds the RS200 reps is also looking into making hardtops from fibreglass, not sure what stage he's at though.

Joesson

Quote from: Roj on July 20, 2021, 17:36Can't recall where I saw it but someone is making carbon fibre hardtops for around EUR2k including seals and possibly a rear screen. Think they're at pre-production stage just now but will be taking orders soon. If I find the link/ad I'll post it here. £2k (inc customs, P&P etc.) seems nuts at first but when you compare it to the current price of OEM items it's not crazy, plus losing a few kilos up high would go a little way to justifying the extra expense for some of the more serious track addicts :)

The guy who builds the RS200 reps is also looking into making hardtops from fibreglass, not sure what stage he's at though.

Iirc it was sometime BC in 2019 that I contacted a couple of glass fibre fabricators about this and put contact details on here.
The price differential then was perhaps considered to be too much, as mentioned elsewhere, time changes many things.

BARNPOT2000

TF099 silver

fawtytoo

Also from Midship Garage (currently unavailable):
oem-hardtop-1d0-liquid-silver-metallic

£2800?!  :o
"My name is not important" - Slartibartfast

Chilli Girl

Sable one for £1,350 on Gumtree! That's a cheaper one. :o
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

Zxrob

Quote from: Chilli Girl on September 17, 2021, 21:33Sable one for £1,350 on Gumtree! That's a cheaper one. :o

Its Mad Jane but someone will probably buy it

Rob
Adventure before dementia 😁

Carolyn

In a couple of month's time, I'll be doubling the value of my car.

I'll be putting the hardtop on.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

fawtytoo

One on eBay just went for £1450. (If that's what he actually got.)

I'm keeping mine. The value of my '2 keeps improving because of it.
"My name is not important" - Slartibartfast

ManInDandism

Nice 'cheap' one HERE - a mere £500. 

Minor paintwork damage but looks like a bargain at today's prices!
Black 2004 Roadster
Previous: Black 1994 Mk2 Turbo

Ardent

No longer available apparently

ManInDandism

Quote from: Ardent on October  4, 2021, 22:31No longer available apparently

It sold straight away (surprise, surprise).
Black 2004 Roadster
Previous: Black 1994 Mk2 Turbo

J88TEO

Petrus

tbh it was not rocket science to see that, the HT being sought after, coming.

Roj

I had to resort to buying another car with a hardtop, just to get it at a decent price. The intention was to swap the HT onto mine and sell the 'new' car on, but it looks like it's now staying, so I'll be 2-squared :)

Mr2Adam77

It's coming upto the time I think I'll try sell my hardtop.
Not the best time obviously weather wise with winter on It's way but probably is timewise/price wise to get the maximum possible.
Had zero storage for it the last 2 years for summer so not had the roof off to fully enjoy the convertible live.
Any tips from anyone who's let theirs go greatly appreciated.
It's red which from a quick search doesn't seem to be so popular of those listed lately.

Joesson

Quote from: Mr2Adam77 on October  9, 2021, 12:53It's coming upto the time I think I'll try sell my hardtop.
Not the best time obviously weather wise with winter on It's way but probably is timewise/price wise to get the maximum possible.
Had zero storage for it the last 2 years for summer so not had the roof off to fully enjoy the convertible live.
Any tips from anyone who's let theirs go greatly appreciated.
It's red which from a quick search doesn't seem to be so popular of those listed lately.

A red top is perhaps best suited to a red car and so would be well received by such an owner. As colours other than black would imo not suit a red so the red car owner would be the prime customer and likely pay a premium.
Otherwise, again, imo, if you cannot hook a red owner the "premium" would need to be discounted to allow for the red top to be sprayed or wrapped.
For "Not so popular" you could say rare. Maybe start off your "pitch" with Rare Red Hard Top!
Good luck with the sale.

Mr2Adam77

Thanks for the input/advice Joesson.
Yeah I'm not really looking at the respray buyers to be honest as my roof was relaqued and resprayed only 2 years ago!!..would kind if be a waste.
As you say ideally it's only going to appeal to us chilli red owners.
Lovely day here today so will get on with taking pics and go from there.

Bossworld

Red and blue seem to be going around £1000 on eBay, Sable and black £1400 odd. There's a recently sold Sable one (originally red but 'professionally resprayed') that went for a higher price.

I've had to pull the FB listing for my mum's old car, it seems to have had a surge in search results this week as I've just been bombarded with questions about a hard top that isn't included anyway.

Tags: