SMT gearbox "quirks"

Started by fawtytoo, July 8, 2021, 20:23

fawtytoo

When the car is cold, there is a significant delay (2 or 3 seconds) before shifting into 2nd gear. Once the car warms up, it doesn't do it.
Also, there can be clutch slip when changing down, I think from 3rd to 2nd (maybe). And there has been the occasion when the gears "jolt" into the next gear up (maybe 2nd to 3rd). Even once warmed up.

Now I have no way to do any work on this gearbox myself as I lack knowledge, tools and a proper place to do it. All of the garages local to me (including Mr T) are unwilling to do work to the gearbox.

So, first of all, are these issues significant? Are they just "quirks" of the gearbox?
"My name is not important" - Slartibartfast

Call the midlife!

There's a bit of an SMT guru on the Facebook pages called Stewart, his surname is either John or Yohn, can't remember but usually the first advice with them is to change the fluid if you can't say for certain when it was last done.
And I'm sure he advocates adding something like castor oil to it at a given ratio...
60% of the time it works everytime...

fawtytoo

I've read that advice too, and would like to replace the fluid. However, I lack tools and a place to do it. It rains a lot round here.

I'd prefer a garage/mechanic/expert if I could find someone willing to undertake the work.

But I wanted to know if this is typical of the SMT. The mechanic at Mr T seemed to think it was, but I reckon he just didn't want to do it and made excuses.

Petrus

Quote from: fawtytoo on July 10, 2021, 19:19I've read that advice too, and would like to replace the fluid. However, I lack tools and a place to do it. It rains a lot round here.

You do not need much and it is véry easy. The most ´complicated´ is unbolting the cross brace. The air filter rubber only has a simple screw type hose clamp.
Take the air filter housing out and you see the reservoir and cap.
Borrow a large syringe from the kitchen, suck the fluid out, refill, put the airbox back and done.

fawtytoo

(Old thread I know, but my comment is relevant ...)

I cleaned the MAF the other day as I hadn't done it for ages, and apart from a significant improvement in performance, the SMT was also significantly better without any of the quirks.

I wouldn't of thought the MAF would be related, but who knows.

Petrus

Quote from: fawtytoo on July 17, 2023, 17:50I wouldn't of thought the MAF would be related, but who knows.

It is not.
It ís however to throttle position, revs and rev changes.
Thóse are.
Which makes the circle round  8)

Tags: