Aftermarket exhaust manifolds

Started by BARNPOT2000, July 16, 2021, 16:52

bobbe

Quote from: Ardent on August 16, 2021, 22:37@bobbe

Where in the UK are you based?
We have a meet coming up in September if you are within range.
Stanwick Hotel. Check the events section

I'm in Belfast (where I'm from) for probably the next month or two, but I usually live in Cambridge (where I work). It looks like I probably won't be back in England in time for the meetup, but if that changes then I will try to make it!

Ardent

Yeah Cambridge is a bit more in range.

Joesson

Quote from: bobbe on August 16, 2021, 22:03I have another question, if that's okay - is it safe to use copper grease on the head to header bolts? I know the head is aluminium (which copper doesn't play well with), but presumably the gasket and the header flange would keep the copper grease safely away from it?

Some "talk" of dissimilar metals causing electrolytic action when you look at this question. But electrolytic action requires an electrolyte and it won't Be very wet at the cylinder heads/ manifold.
Following is the characteristics of a well known Copper type anti seize compound which states compatible with Aluminium .

Brand Name   MOLYSLIP
Compatible Material   Stainless steel , Aluminium , Copper , Iron , Galvanized steel
Container size   0.1 kilograms
Ean   5056397600151
Included Components   1 x MolySlip Copaslip High-Performance Compound 100 g
Item Weight   100 grams
Lower Temperature Rating   -40 degrees_celsius
Model Number   M113001
Number of Items   1
Part Number   M113001
Style   Tube
Upper Temperature Rating   1100 degrees_celsius

Since you've raised the subject of the use of copper grease on the engine there is this from NGK that advises against it's use on spark plugs:

https://www.driven2automotive.com/blog/why-you-shouldnt-use-copper-grease-when-installing-spark-plugs/

Strangely copper grease or something very similar is preapplied to the O2 sensor threads when new.

Having been gifted a large can of the stuff I use it most places where I want to be able to remove the fixing at some point in the future. Importantly I believe it is not a lubricant, and it's used is to prevent screw threads seizing.

Not to be used on brake systems, where special lubricants are required.

bobbe

Dev

Quote from: Joesson on August 17, 2021, 09:15
Quote from: bobbe on August 16, 2021, 22:03I have another question, if that's okay - is it safe to use copper grease on the head to header bolts? I know the head is aluminium (which copper doesn't play well with), but presumably the gasket and the header flange would keep the copper grease safely away from it?

Some "talk" of dissimilar metals causing electrolytic action when you look at this question. But electrolytic action requires an electrolyte and it won't Be very wet at the cylinder heads/ manifold.
Following is the characteristics of a well known Copper type anti seize compound which states compatible with Aluminium .

Brand Name   MOLYSLIP
Compatible Material   Stainless steel , Aluminium , Copper , Iron , Galvanized steel
Container size   0.1 kilograms
Ean   5056397600151
Included Components   1 x MolySlip Copaslip High-Performance Compound 100 g
Item Weight   100 grams
Lower Temperature Rating   -40 degrees_celsius
Model Number   M113001
Number of Items   1
Part Number   M113001
Style   Tube
Upper Temperature Rating   1100 degrees_celsius

Since you've raised the subject of the use of copper grease on the engine there is this from NGK that advises against it's use on spark plugs:

https://www.driven2automotive.com/blog/why-you-shouldnt-use-copper-grease-when-installing-spark-plugs/

Strangely copper grease or something very similar is preapplied to the O2 sensor threads when new.

Having been gifted a large can of the stuff I use it most places where I want to be able to remove the fixing at some point in the future. Importantly I believe it is not a lubricant, and it's used is to prevent screw threads seizing.

Not to be used on brake systems, where special lubricants are required.

Two of the big reasons why they advise not to use anti seize in certain applications.

1.It changes the torque value. Sometimes it is important to have dry friction to arrest what you are threading  in. It can be crucial if you don't want what you are screwing to go beyond a certain depth.

2. The next important reason is having the bolts walk due to vibrations. The anti seize does act like a lubricant and with vibrations can undo exhaust components causing them to leak. For 02 sensors its not a problem but for mounting headers it is not advised. A better way is to use high temp thread lock which I had to use so my chi downpipe would not blow gaskets. 

Despite this some misguided people use anti seize on their lug nuts and then they use factory torque numbers which is a disaster in the making.

bobbe

Header on today, no problems. Took the car for a drive afterwards - 40 miles or so - in case any warning lights came up or I noticed any isues. All good!

Tags: