Power Steering move for Lotus Bonnet Vent

Started by Zspeed, July 16, 2021, 22:24

Zspeed

Has anyone installed the Lotus style bonnet vents?

I understand the power steering module is in the way and probably needs moving rather than having to cut around it.

Has anyone done this job? Trying to understand how possible it is and how difficult/expensive?

Thanks
Mostly Silver 04 Roadster. 2zz MAF, Decat Manifold, Zero Sports Cat Pipe.

Joesson

Quote from: Zspeed on July 16, 2021, 22:24Has anyone installed the Lotus style bonnet vents?

I understand the power steering module is in the way and probably needs moving rather than having to cut around it.

Has anyone done this job? Trying to understand how possible it is and how difficult/expensive?

Thanks

@Topdownman and @Petrus have both fitted bonnet vents, Petrus has removed his power steering, amongst several other items and one or other will likely have something to say.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Joesson on July 16, 2021, 22:30
Quote from: Zspeed on July 16, 2021, 22:24Has anyone installed the Lotus style bonnet vents?

Thanks

@Topdownman and @Petrus have both fitted bonnet vents, Petrus has removed his power steering, amongst several other items and one or other will likely have something to say.

Topdownman has simple air vents in his bonnet, needs no changes to anything, I'm assuming by Lotus style ones you mean the more aggressive, full downward curve ones?

I'm sure there's a thread on it on here somewhere as someone's already done it.
60% of the time it works everytime...

Topdownman

No, cant help you! Mine are XKR style vents which look cool and relieve some pressure and aid flow over the rad (I hope). Nothing so extreme as you are contemplating.

Do I remeber a spyderlee youtube video about him doing his own bonnet?
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Zspeed

Quote from: Topdownman on July 17, 2021, 08:28No, cant help you! Mine are XKR style vents which look cool and relieve some pressure and aid flow over the rad (I hope). Nothing so extreme as you are contemplating.

Do I remeber a spyderlee youtube video about him doing his own bonnet?

That's a shame, I do like it.  If there was one cosmetic change I would make to my roadster it would be one of those vents, but I don't want to do it at the cost of functionality such as p/s etc.

There was a chap with a turbo at Hatton with one fitted but he had already deleted his p/s before he had fitted it I believe, so was not an issue for him. 

I might have to go for some dodgy graphics instead to give the impression. Lol

Zspeed

Quote from: Call the midlife! on July 17, 2021, 08:13
Quote from: Joesson on July 16, 2021, 22:30

Thanks

Topdownman has simple air vents in his bonnet, needs no changes to anything, I'm assuming by Lotus style ones you mean the more aggressive, full downward curve ones?

I'm sure there's a thread on it on here somewhere as someone's already done it.

I did have a search but couldn't find anything. Yet

Zspeed

I have found a lad called Alex and who has done this!

He has simply managed to move the pump etc to the cross member and alter the piping for the PS slightly for direction and it works with the system out of the way and not showing through the vent or cutting into it.

The only thing you can really see through the vent holes is the back of the fans. He even has most of the plastics still in situ.

I have some pics of anyone is interested.

Petrus

I simply cut vents in the bonnet.

The Elise type would be no issue as I have deleted the p.a.s. pump.

Not sure what you mean with ´most of the plastic still in situ´.
You need to cut quite a big hole for the inverted scoop and to fit a tower brace more needs be cut. Just deleting looks a lot simpler to me.

Iain

Quote from: Petrus on July 19, 2021, 09:55I simply cut vents in the bonnet.

You need to cut quite a big hole for the inverted scoop and to fit a tower brace more needs be cut. Just deleting looks a lot simpler to me.

Looks good that. What gains do you get from having them?

Petrus

Quote from: Iain on July 19, 2021, 10:14Looks good that. What gains do you get from having them?

Less lift at the front end; more stability as speed increases.

Iain

Quote from: Petrus on July 19, 2021, 10:16
Quote from: Iain on July 19, 2021, 10:14Looks good that. What gains do you get from having them?

Less lift at the front end; more stability as speed increases.

Thanks Petrus. The light front end is not my most favourite thing about the car so nice to know theres a solution to help out.

Petrus

Quote from: Iain on July 19, 2021, 10:21Thanks Petrus. The light front end is not my most favourite thing about the car so nice to know theres a solution to help out.

There is also the optional FL ´chin lip´. You can find the rubber strip for a tenner on ebay and tag/screw it under the front bumper skirt. There are several treads on it.
Again makes some noticable difference.

You cannot view this attachment.

Iain

I added some of the front rubber lip stuff off ebay, mainly for looks but did help a tad when up to speed. 👍

Zspeed

Quote from: Petrus on July 19, 2021, 09:55I simply cut vents in the bonnet.

Unfortunately my wife needs to occasionally drive the car and she would not accept it without the powersteering.  She actually likes the vent though.

Regarding the plastic, all the other lotus style installs i have seen have removed the frunk plastics leaving all the messy pipe work exposed. 

Im looking to achieve something to suit my particular situation, other may find it easier, or maybe even harder. 

His install is not complete yet but what he has done gives me hope i can do similiar once i have the time.

If i can find somewhere to put the pics i will upload them at somepoimt.

Petrus

Quote from: Zspeed on July 19, 2021, 15:12Unfortunately my wife needs to occasionally drive the car and she would not accept it without the powersteering.  She actually likes the vent though.

On the car:

You cannot view this attachment.

Zspeed

Incase it helps anyone that reads this, here are oics from this chaps project where he has moved the ps pump. He said appearance is not finished

Tags: