Demist connector wire

Started by BARNPOT2000, July 19, 2021, 09:49

BARNPOT2000

Hi folks, you know that feeling that you know your probably being a bit dim, but you just have to ask someone, however embarrassing it might feel? I'm sure someone will know instantly, but I've tried to plug my hardtop demist cable that was supplied with the hardtop into the car, but the cable has two differing plugs at each end. A black one, which plugs in happily to both the hardtop and the soft top connector on the car, and a smaller white one. I can't see where to plug the smaller white one? I can only see one socket behind the cubby where the soft top is currently plugged in... HELP please !!! Before I go insane.. 🤪You cannot view this attachment.
TF099 silver

Call the midlife!

It's a case of either/or so you need to unplug the soft top connection and replace it with the hardtop wire, if my memory serves me right.
60% of the time it works everytime...

BARNPOT2000

Quote from: Call the midlife! on July 19, 2021, 10:36It's a case of either/or so you need to unplug the soft top connection and replace it with the hardtop wire, if my memory serves me right.
Thats what I thought but if I do that I'm left with a small white plug that doesn't fit into the hardtop, if you get my meaning. Don't think my wire is the right one for my car. Online the cables appear to have the same plug at each end which makes sense.. Might need to to see one cones up for sale on the marketplace I guess 😉
TF099 silver

Call the midlife!

Quote from: BARNPOT2000 on July 19, 2021, 11:37
Quote from: Call the midlife! on July 19, 2021, 10:36It's a case of either/or so you need to unplug the soft top connection and replace it with the hardtop wire, if my memory serves me right.
Thats what I thought but if I do that I'm left with a small white plug that doesn't fit into the hardtop, if you get my meaning. Don't think my wire is the right one for my car. Online the cables appear to have the same plug at each end which makes sense.. Might need to to see one cones up for sale on the marketplace I guess 😉
There are some available in the club shop if you DO find you need one, I can check the end connections later this evening after work if nobody gets here before then.

Joesson

Quote from: Call the midlife! on July 19, 2021, 11:41
There are some available in the club shop if you DO find you need one, I can check the end connections later this evening after work if nobody gets here before then.

Iirc @StuC was knowledgeable about this item.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Joesson on July 19, 2021, 11:44
Quote from: Call the midlife! on July 19, 2021, 11:41

Iirc @StuC was knowledgeable about this item.
I would imagine anyone with long term usage of a hardtop would be able to shed some light on it...

Carolyn

The wire should have different plugs on each end. You have the correct one. Remove the plastic trim at the side of the bin.  Look inside where the wires are.  A wire will be connected with white connectors - that comes from the soft-top demister.  Unplug that and plug in the white end of your hard top cable.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

BARNPOT2000

Hi Carolyn, I'll attach some photos to show what I have in the car. There seems to be just one socket at the car end in the bin area. The photo shows the left hand black connector which was in that socket and is presumably the soft top wire. The white plug on the end of my cable, to the right of picture is smaller, and does not locate in the car socket. The other end of my cable has the larger black plug which will locate in either the hardtop or car socket. Maybe someone has messed with the wiring but all looks original. You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.
TF099 silver

Carolyn

Can't assist any further, I'm afraid.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

SV-3

See 2003 Owners Manual:
Pages 42 thro' 50.
'03 Mk3 Chilli Red (Avon ZV7's: 26F/32R)
Sony WX-920BT
"Hardtop Cognoscenti"
"Stock Cubed"
"AirCon Aficionado"
"Keeper of the Beeper"
Ex '88 Mk1b White (Yokohama A539's: 26F/28R)
"Here we all are, rumours and old toffee abound." John Martyn

BARNPOT2000

Ok, so after alot of rummaging around in the car trying to find a suitable socket to plug my cable into, I've concluded that the cable I was supplied with the hard top is in fact the soft top demist cable probably stripped out of an old wiring harness. These are my assumptions mind you. This is based on the fact that the plugs at either end match those on my existing soft top cable and the cable length is quite long with sections missing any shrouding where maybe it was originally wound into the harness. Anyways, I guess it could be plugged into the connector near the soft top glass and then into the hard top but that's not really a neat solution. So going to purchase a proper cable that will plug in behind the cubby. Thanks all for you help and advise as always. 👍😊🙏
TF099 silver

Call the midlife!

I'll say it again...
We have cables for sale in the club shop, £22.50 delivered to UK mainland....

BARNPOT2000

Quote from: Call the midlife! on July 19, 2021, 21:37I'll say it again...
We have cables for sale in the club shop, £22.50 delivered to UK mainland....
Thanks 👍
TF099 silver

Tags: