Yokohama AD08R

Started by Petrus, July 26, 2021, 11:30

Petrus

Living in the south the tyres get pretty hot. Ambient temps easily 30 even 40 degree C. Tarmac can get hotter.
Pushing the car a bit gets the tyres hhhhót to the touch.
Using the car as daily it means heat cycling daily.

Anyone here has experience with how durable the AD08R is?
I have the distinct impression that grip is getting less. It may be the hot tarmac, it may be the high temps, it may be me asking too much on the wrong side of the traction curve, it may be the tyres.
Mind; the tyres are uttahly predictable and never ever just let go, it is just that I think traction is getting less wheras there is still about 50% profile on them.

Thanks.

Ardent

Obviously not quite as warm as Spain. But felt exactly the same, even without asking as much of them as you ask.

Petrus

Quote from: Ardent on July 26, 2021, 16:16Obviously not quite as warm as Spain. But felt exactly the same, even without asking as much of them as you ask.

By how much use approx. Do you remember?

Ardent

Will have a look through my records

Ardent

Fitted Feb 2016 at 104038 miles.
Replaced December 2020 at 124221.

Needed replacing before then. But stuck in the what to replace with conundrum.

Very harsh and crashy in the last year.
Not much fun or enjoyment.

I would say probably started going off in season 3.

Alex Knight

20K miles from a high performance road tyre is decent.

I'm using the same tyres, and I'm lucky to get 3-5K miles out of a set.

Joesson

Quote from: Alex Knight on July 27, 2021, 10:5720K miles from a high performance road tyre is decent.

Does that mean @Ardent isn't trying  hard enough or you are tracking yours or other?

Petrus

Ok, got my answer.
It is basically that those are spórts/track tyres with heat cycle and the concept means they age by time, wear ánd number of heat cycles.
Thanks.

At the moment it is not much of an issue. Not at áll actually as the cable to the petrol cap door snapped. Simple thing but... ::)

Alex Knight

Quote from: Joesson on July 27, 2021, 11:04
Quote from: Alex Knight on July 27, 2021, 10:5720K miles from a high performance road tyre is decent.

Does that mean @Ardent isn't trying  hard enough or you are tracking yours or other?

Track days considerably shorten tyre life for me.

Dev

Some tires depending on the compound heat cycle out very quickly and the loss of traction can be a dramatic fall off in grip. It happened to me last year where the tires were fine the year before but once I taken a turn I lost all traction on all tires and was able to recover by maneuvering the car in the grass to slow down as I swapped ends. This time around I chose a performance tire that is more street oriented with less grip but it has much harder sidewalls making it fun to drive at slower speeds. The previous tires that had a race type compound were overkill and better suited for the track where you can monitor when its time to change them out.

As you can see I had plenty of tread left on the tires but were completely spent.  Some people judge tires by how much tread is left which is foolish for performance tires.  I replace my tires in sets.
You cannot view this attachment.

Tags: