Vinyl hood recycling?

Started by BARNPOT2000, August 1, 2021, 21:47

BARNPOT2000

Sorry if this is a silly question, but if a hood is changed to say a mohair one, if the old vinyl version is removed carefully can it be easily refitted? Just thinking about changing to mohair but the old hood would be a great refit for some one I'm sure.
TF099 silver

Ardent

Only as easy as the removal.
That is an experience thing. Of which I have non.

An original hood in good condition is better than an original hood in poor condition and certainly has it's place in the re-use it vs a replacement hood.
I say replacement as not all mohair hoods are created equally. Like everything else there is mohair and mohair.

Topdownman

Jack Smiths cut your old roof up in front of your eyes! They then put the window from yours in the next roof they do. Not sure if all the firms work the same way though.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

BARNPOT2000

I guess the issue rarely arises as most only consider changing hoods when the old one is too far gone anyway. I have to say the original hoods on these cars seem to last really well compared to some. Which is slightly frustrating when you would prefer a canvas hood but haven't got the excuse "it's too far gone dear I'm going to have to change it before it starts leaking" 🙄.
TF099 silver

puma2

:) i thought about this when i had my new hood fitted the old was in excellent condition to pass on to another 2.
when i mention this he said it could not be done. :'(

also though of taking it to someone  good with spanners skills to just take roof off but then getting to have a new roof fitted was to much hassle.

Ramon the Swansea guy  you will cry as he  goes about take your roof off.
most people will be will be well happy with the new roof he fits mind at £330

BARNPOT2000

Anyone know if Don Trimming Co. do good work? I'm pretty sure, back in the day, I had one from there for my TR7, it was a good product then,and I  had it fitted locally.
TF099 silver

Topdownman

Raymond in action.....

"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Chilli Girl

Crikey!  Drastic measures! :o
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

Ardent

2 litres of eye bleach please.

StuC

Quote from: BARNPOT2000 on August  1, 2021, 21:47Sorry if this is a silly question, but if a hood is changed to say a mohair one, if the old vinyl version is removed carefully can it be easily refitted? Just thinking about changing to mohair but the old hood would be a great refit for some one I'm sure.

My current roof was from a recycled car. Incidentally the Toyota replaced roof had only just been put on before the car got written off.
Double proof that in the right hands a roof can be fitted and removed. Sadly those hands aren't working on 2's anymore, but that's for another day. 

There have been a few roofs sold on here before. 👍
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Tags: