Rear window demister not working

Started by Microgerry, August 26, 2021, 22:54

Microgerry

Hi all.
I wonder if anyone can tell me where I can find the fuse for the heated rear window?
I found the fusebox under the bonnet and the engine compartment but not the third one. It's not in either of those
The switch lights up but there is no voltage at the contacts on the window. Anyone else had this issue?

StuC

Could be a fuse, is more likely to be a disconnection when someone used a hard top.

Fish around in the storage bin behind the drivers seat. You are looking for 2 white connectors. My guess is that they will be unplugged. Join them up and then try.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Microgerry

Thank you.
I just knew that would be someone's first response!

I forgot to mention that I had already checked the connection first and it was all good.
I have since found the fuse and that was intact. Further investigation showed the element itself is not open circuit but discovered the lead from the connector under the rear shelf to the screen IS open circuit. 12v gets to the socket ok so I assume it will work with my hardtop when required.

So, it looks like the leads are soldered directly to the screen (i.e. they don't unplug). Has anybody ever removed or replaced this lead? Is it in fact possible?

StuC

Quote from: Microgerry on August 28, 2021, 17:23Thank you.
I just knew that would be someone's first response!

I forgot to mention that I had already checked the connection first and it was all good.
I have since found the fuse and that was intact. Further investigation showed the element itself is not open circuit but discovered the lead from the connector under the rear shelf to the screen IS open circuit. 12v gets to the socket ok so I assume it will work with my hardtop when required.

So, it looks like the leads are soldered directly to the screen (i.e. they don't unplug). Has anybody ever removed or replaced this lead? Is it in fact possible?

Always go for the easy wins to start with. Especially when they cost nothing to fix, if that's the cause. 😂😂👍

I can't remember if the wires go under the fabric or not. In theory it's possible to do. Not sure how the roof re-trimmer does it when they reuse the rear screen. Perhaps someone can post up who has had this done?
@puma2 @Topdownman

I guess if you change it yourself, just be mindful of the roof dynamic action when you route the new wire.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Topdownman

When you have your roof replaced, they have already made your new roof with a spare heated screen. I am not sure if this means that the roof fitter has used the wiring from the old window and connects this into the car or whether he unsolders the connection and resolders to the new roof once fitted?

I dont remember what Raymond in Swansea did before cutting out my old screen.

"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Tags: