It's taken a few Years

Started by Gibla, August 31, 2021, 23:54

Gibla

I owned a hardtop on my first ever '2' circa 4-5 years ago

It traveled with me roof 'in situ' to get the car home,but was promptly removed asap, and then it lived unused, and unloved, in a quiet area of our kitchen. My other half Eirlys naturally was less than happy with this arrangement.

The next and only time the hardtop was used again was to sell the car.

All of my recent '2' purchases involved soft top only, a hardtop was never on the horizon at any stage.

For whatever reason this Summer we have had less and less of top-down driving + eventually decided one of our cars must have a hardtop, we duly bought one yesterday.

It will come as no surprise to those who use a hardtop that it improved the overall experience ie vastly reduced or non-existent wind noise,engine noise, road noise, accompanied by a stiffening of the chassis that improved handling appreciably ....all in all we are very happy with the result - even if prices have shot up recently.
stock 2001 Dark Green MR-S (6R4)

105e

No surprise to me, mines been on for 3 years now, much prefer looking at it and driving it...

SV-3

Quote from: Gibla on August 31, 2021, 23:54I owned a hardtop on my first ever '2' circa 4-5 years ago

It traveled with me roof 'in situ' to get the car home,but was promptly removed asap, and then it lived unused, and unloved, in a quiet area of our kitchen. My other half Eirlys naturally was less than happy with this arrangement.

All of my recent '2' purchases involved soft top only, a hardtop was never on the horizon at any stage.

For whatever reason this Summer we have had less and less of top-down driving + eventually decided one of our cars must have a hardtop, we duly bought one yesterday.

It will come as no surprise to those who use a hardtop that it improved the overall experience ie vastly reduced or non-existent wind noise,engine noise, road noise, accompanied by a stiffening of the chassis that improved handling appreciably ....all in all we are very happy with the result - even if prices have shot up recently.
Welcome back to the fold Brother Gibla or should that be non-fold 8)
'03 Mk3 Chilli Red (Avon ZV7's: 26F/32R)
Sony WX-920BT
"Hardtop Cognoscenti"
"Stock Cubed"
"AirCon Aficionado"
"Keeper of the Beeper"
Ex '88 Mk1b White (Yokohama A539's: 26F/28R)
"Here we all are, rumours and old toffee abound." John Martyn

J88TEO

Win win situation - Winter on Summer off!

Gibla

Quote from: Gibla on August 31, 2021, 23:54I owned a hardtop on my first ever '2' circa 4-5 years ago

So impressed was I with the hardtop 'experiment' with the sable car, it is the intention to treat the 'superblue' (that I did have for sale) to a hardtop of its own to further enhance. However all blue ones have been snaffled up...it may have to be a black one for now + I will have to see how we get along with it.

Carolyn

Quote from: Gibla on September  1, 2021, 17:44

So impressed was I with the hardtop 'experiment' with the sable car, it is the intention to treat the 'superblue' (that I did have for sale) to a hardtop of its own to further enhance. However all blue ones have been snaffled up...it may have to be a black one for now + I will have to see how we get along with it.

Black over blue with the black wheels will look ace. Make sure the catches are all good.  The car has the side-strikers, and (I think) the cable is in there too.  All you'll need are the chrome fittings for the rear. 

I love my hard top.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Joesson

Quote from: Carolyn on September  1, 2021, 18:00

Black over blue with the black wheels will look ace. Make sure the catches are all good.  The car has the side-strikers, and (I think) the cable is in there too.  All you'll need are the chrome fittings for the rear. 

I love my hard top.

Plus one on the black/ contrasting top, not that I'm advocating/ want a hard top, but if I did it would be black.

StuC

Both of our 2's have hard tops.
Both of our 2's have soft tops.

Whatever the weather, whatever the time of year we have equal love for our 2's.

I am pleased that we cleared the garage out. To your point @Gibla they are big things when off the car.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Roj

Quote from: 105e on September  1, 2021, 07:04... much prefer looking at it and driving it...

I prefer the hardtopped look too, possibly an unpopular opinion but it would be a boring world if we all liked the same things.

I'll be on the hunt for one soon, preferably a scabby looking one to keep costs down, although even the 'cheap' ones aren't actually cheap these days!

Jumping from a tin-top into the '2 the thing I notice immediately , aside from the lack of weight being hauled around, is the scuttle shuffle. Hard mounting a hardtop will alleviate that to some extent... until a cage goes in :) 

Gibla

Quote from: Roj on September  2, 2021, 07:55
Quote from: 105e on September  1, 2021, 07:04... much prefer looking at it and driving it...

I prefer the hardtopped look too, possibly an unpopular opinion but it would be a boring world if we all liked the same things.

I'll be on the hunt for one soon, preferably a scabby looking one to keep costs down, although even the 'cheap' ones aren't actually cheap these days!

Jumping from a tin-top into the '2 the thing I notice immediately , aside from the lack of weight being hauled around, is the scuttle shuffle. Hard mounting a hardtop will alleviate that to some extent... until a cage goes in :) 

2 other things that I noticed when I installed them that vastly reduced 'scuttle shuttle' were Carolyns front upper strut brace and Devs door 'thingies' that look like bars of soap that you wouldn't think would work, but close the doors very tightly. In combination with a hardtop you will find that SS is well nigh on eliminated

puma2

:) I have to say i love the look  that the hardtop gives you :)
 :) I love the way the 2 drives with the hardtop on a more planted feel :)

:) I do have a hardtop do i ever use no but got as spare should i have to :)
 :) I brought the 2 to get as much top down driving as i could :)

:) I understand that people but them on over winter but i like to go out on those good days even the 1s with are freezing just to put the roof down :)

:)   in a way with a hardtop you have two cars in 1  :)

:)  mind you everyone who owes a 2 is a winner they all are drivers cars with a bit of exclusivity  about them and no 2 is the same  :)  :) 

Gibla

Quote from: Carolyn on September  1, 2021, 18:00

I love my hard top.

500 mile round trip in 10.5 hrs to Plymouth (easily the furthest 'superblue' has done in my ownership, and no need of a repair truck!!) to collect a perfect condition black hardtop ....well chuffed :-)

Chilli Girl

Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

Gibla

Quote from: Chilli Girl on September  2, 2021, 21:27Well done Alan! ;D

A mild 'dig' at @shnazzle after his brilliant appraisal of the car :-)

shnazzle

...neutiquam erro.

Gibla

Quote from: shnazzle on September  4, 2021, 10:27
Quote from: Gibla on September  2, 2021, 21:36

Eh?

A direct quote of part of your appraisal

''The Downsides?
It's a prototype. It's been alive for a while now and things have happened that have lead to improvements. That's going to be the case. You need to know not to take this thing to Austria on a Eurotrip, unless a tooled up van is following you.
I couldn't break it for all my trying (and let's just leave how hard I tried at that) and I'd even use this as a daily comfortably. But I'd get RAC cover,because that's just the world you enter when you sign onto something like a prototype.
Realistically...i reckon this thing will make someone happy for a very long time without big issues. ''

'tooled up van' reference

Not having a dig, it was a vg appraisal sir!

shnazzle

Quote from: Gibla on September  4, 2021, 14:43
Quote from: shnazzle on September  4, 2021, 10:27
Quote from: Gibla on September  2, 2021, 21:36

Eh?

A direct quote of part of your appraisal

''The Downsides?
It's a prototype. It's been alive for a while now and things have happened that have lead to improvements. That's going to be the case. You need to know not to take this thing to Austria on a Eurotrip, unless a tooled up van is following you.
I couldn't break it for all my trying (and let's just leave how hard I tried at that) and I'd even use this as a daily comfortably. But I'd get RAC cover,because that's just the world you enter when you sign onto something like a prototype.
Realistically...i reckon this thing will make someone happy for a very long time without big issues. ''

'tooled up van' reference

Not having a dig, it was a vg appraisal sir!

Ahh.. :)

I just couldn't see the connection as it had been a while.
I still stand by it.
...neutiquam erro.

Gibla

tbf @shnazzle it would be a highly optimistic/foolhardy person to undertake a long-distance Euro trip without a good skillset and a few spares.

However,for a long-distance trip in the UK now, I would be reasonably confident at the 'beastie' managing that without incident, but having the insurance of an AA policy jico.

Anyways, we have strayed off-topic (my fault)

Zspeed

My hardtop has hung from the rafters since I picked the car up. I thought it would be on and off regularly but the more I drive the car with the roof down the more it stays down for the next drive.
Going to hate it when the rain comes heavy (it stays down in drizzle).  It has been suggested we are going to have a fair amount of settled weather for this Autumn though, you meet on the 12th should be good, shame I can't make it with it being so close but I have other fish to fry. Enjoy
Mostly Silver 04 Roadster. 2zz MAF, Decat Manifold, Zero Sports Cat Pipe.

Tags: