Std Speaker Wires

Started by Daxed, September 14, 2021, 16:21

Daxed

I'm planning to use a Pioneer GM-D1004 amp, bridged to 2 90W channels to drive upgraded door speakers. Will I get away with retaining the original speaker wiring or need to run new?

The speakers (Pioneer TS-E171CI) have passive crossovers with feeble looking wiring so hoping to get away without battling a replacement through the doors.

Anyone have any experience of the std wires under higher loading?

Thanks in advance. You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.

Daxed

Quote from: Daxed on September 14, 2021, 16:21I'm planning to use a Pioneer GM-D1004 amp, bridged to 2 90W channels to drive upgraded door speakers. Will I get away with retaining the original speaker wiring or need to run new?

The speakers (Pioneer TS-E171CI) have passive crossovers with feeble looking wiring so hoping to get away without battling a replacement through the doors.

Anyone have any experience of the std wires under higher loading?

Thanks in advance. You cannot view this attachment.

Topdownman

I am no expert but I think you run the risk of the standard wiring becoming the weak point if you do not upgrade it and you will not get the full gains from your other upgrades.

In home audio, the speaker wires are used as the tone control and people spend a fortune on matching the wires to their set up.

"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Bugster_MR2

Good question. I am wondering the same. I have upgraded speakers that clearly needs more power than my HU can provide, and I just bought the same amp as you. Going to install it as is first. Upgrading wires is not on my wish list, as it is a real pain in the *** to drag them through the doors.
Bugster
2001 red with KW3, TRD rear brace, Zero race cat and MAF-mod.
2003 silver TTE Turbo, underbrace, sidescoops, style bar, front bumper, rear spoiler, interior garnish, exhaust

Daxed

Quote from: Bugster_MR2 on September 16, 2021, 15:17Good question. I am wondering the same. I have upgraded speakers that clearly needs more power than my HU can provide, and I just bought the same amp as you. Going to install it as is first. Upgrading wires is not on my wish list, as it is a real pain in the *** to drag them through the doors.
I might just run new whilst the door cards & dash are stripped for the speakers/head unit install.
Where are you mounting your amp?

Bugster_MR2

Quote from: Daxed on September 18, 2021, 07:47
Quote from: Bugster_MR2 on September 16, 2021, 15:17Good question. I am wondering the same. I have upgraded speakers that clearly needs more power than my HU can provide, and I just bought the same amp as you. Going to install it as is first. Upgrading wires is not on my wish list, as it is a real pain in the *** to drag them through the doors.
I might just run new whilst the door cards & dash are stripped for the speakers/head unit install.

I was thinking on putting it just behind the HU and velcro it to the floor. And make some panels on both sides to hide the mess.
Bugster
2001 red with KW3, TRD rear brace, Zero race cat and MAF-mod.
2003 silver TTE Turbo, underbrace, sidescoops, style bar, front bumper, rear spoiler, interior garnish, exhaust

Daxed

Quote from: Bugster_MR2 on September 18, 2021, 14:32
Quote from: Daxed on September 18, 2021, 07:47

I was thinking on putting it just behind the HU and velcro it to the floor. And make some panels on both sides to hide the mess.

That was my preferred choice. Just trial fit & it's looking likely it will fit on the floor there behind the ashtray/12v.

vx220

I wouldn't put it near the heater outlet, the 1004 runs very hot for a class d amp.

I had mine in the driver's side locker, and just made sure not to put anything on it.

Regarding speaker wire, it wouldn't hurt to upgrade (doesn't have to be expensive) and a MR2 roadster is one of the easiest cars to do!

Depending on your head unit, if it's capable of running an active set up this will make a positive impact on sound quality.

That's how I used to run mine, 1004 at 4x45w, plus an active subwoofer up under the dash. If your HU supports this, you'll be able to get all your speakers at the correct level for your seating position and time aligned as well.

Tags: