Sat Nav box in rear lockers.

Started by Gibla, October 5, 2021, 14:31

Gibla

When fiddling about in the rear lockers for something, I discovered a relatively large  Toyota rectangular box that stated Sat Nav : as this is on a late 2003 car I had zero expectations of it working, when pressing the correct buttons on the original spec Toyota head unit, it worked really well + apart from the ridiculously small display would be of some use even in 2021, but of course with zero map updates.

My question is 'How common was this installation in circa 2003-2006' ? It is the first time that I have come across one either in situ, or even mere mention in a sales thread/any other discussion.

I could imagine it was an expensive option then, but of course probably negligible value in 2021.
stock 2001 Dark Green MR-S (6R4)
stock 2004 Black - repurchased from guy who bought yellow 'un

Topdownman

Never heard of that!

I wouldnt be surprised if that was of value (to the right person of course).

If you have an original, low mileage car in pristine condition, having a rare toyota sat nav would be quite attractive I would have thought in the concours competition?
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

s12vea

A rare and expensive option for sure, but limited value in the real world of 2021. Nice item for someone looking for genuine oem options.
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

Ardent

Seen one at rutland mr2  when Dean was active. Never seen or heard of one since then. Till now.

Gibla

Thanks for the informative replies folks, @Topdownman just fyi it's a good condition but highish mileage '2' just passed 85k

But just about to commit sacrilege on the car, with installing a Double Din JVC head unit with DAB, Bluetooth etc etc (but no sat-nav:-( ) but shall keep the old head unit for if as and when .....

Gibla

Quite unrelated to this thread about sat-nav, but undeserving of its own separate thread:- another car was bought (the sable one) without any knowledge of one of its installed optional extras.

We recently (a couple of months ago) traveled across to Rotherham to collect a hardtop.
I had some items in the rear mini storage area (behind the hand brake lever) + must have knocked or disturbed something as my backside and back was getting increasingly warm.

Yep, it has heated seats:- with the woeful location! Quite why there isn't a little flip over/slide over cover installed to avoid the unintended operation of the switches is beyond me.

But, yet again another 'extra' installed on a car that I didn't spot at the time of purchase :-(

Petrus

Oh my, heated seats, satnav....

I was given winter gloves last years´s birthday and a silk scarf this time.
Recently bought a 1 : 400.000 map of Andalucia myself; weighs almost nothing, is reliable, up to date, gives proper overview and all the route options you could want.

Tbh it would be a sad day on mý calender if options would become A Collectors Thing for the ZZW30.

With all respect to collectors, this car is imo a gem to just dríve; spiritedly!

For the rest I´d be over the moon with having it running again :-O

Ardent

Quote from: Gibla on October  5, 2021, 19:13Quite unrelated to this thread about sat-nav, but undeserving of its own separate thread:- another car was bought (the sable one) without any knowledge of one of its installed optional extras.

We recently (a couple of months ago) traveled across to Rotherham to collect a hardtop.
I had some items in the rear mini storage area (behind the hand brake lever) + must have knocked or disturbed something as my backside and back was getting increasingly warm.

Yep, it has heated seats:- with the woeful location! Quite why there isn't a little flip over/slide over cover installed to avoid the unintended operation of the switches is beyond me.

But, yet again another 'extra' installed on a car that I didn't spot at the time of purchase :-(
The curse of the passengers elbow.
They get comfy and relax, right elbow straight on to the switches. Hey Ho.

Microgerry

Were those heated seats leather or cloth?

Ooooh, imagine buying a 2 brand new and choosing those options. I couldn't afford one when new so I will have to "make do" with my 21 year old car now.  ;)

Chilli Girl

Nothing wrong with a 21 yr old car, they made them good in that year ;)
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

Gibla

Quote from: Microgerry on October  5, 2021, 20:55Were those heated seats leather or cloth?

Ooooh, imagine buying a 2 brand new and choosing those options. I couldn't afford one when new so I will have to "make do" with my 21 year old car now.  ;)

The ones in mine are black leather(2006 FL model), really dunno about in other colours or materials

Ardent

Quote from: Microgerry on October  5, 2021, 20:55Were those heated seats leather or cloth?

Black leather.

Petrus

Quote from: Ardent on October  5, 2021, 22:41Black leather.

Took the perfectly ok black leathers out for hard grp shells on two driver side (LHD and RHD) OEM sliders/supports.
I think the buckets a véry good option but have the originals stored for periodic inspection and for when the thing becomes a classic fun relic without the drivers´aids and black box ;-)

Mine also had airco; took it out. Not missed it even this past properly scorching summer hére.
Charming company:
´can you switch on the airco?´
"No, took it out."
´But I am hot."
"Take something off."
Great delete option.
No, seriously, did not happen. What did was no complaints, a towel in the bucket and the flimsiest of summer dresses.

Deleted the quite nice head set too. For one the automatic antenna annoyed me to no end, secondly I mostly drive top down and lastly often with charming company chatting away.
Again have it stored for future collectability.

Microgerry

Quote from: Chilli Girl on October  5, 2021, 21:00Nothing wrong with a 21 yr old car, they made them good in that year ;)
I know! That's what I meant by making do. I love my car, especially as it's 21

Tags: