Tyres, yes tyres AGAIN

Started by Petrus, October 10, 2021, 17:29

Petrus

Although my AD08Rs still have plenty of profile depth they are getting off the boil.
I was a bit surprised about that but ....
1. they are 2019 and I have heat cycled them XXX times
2. the 2017 Michelins under my gf´s moderately quick driven car started to shed chunck of tread
so I should accept that they are past their best.

Right, so what´s next.
Good premium summer rubber, that is what´s next.

Unfortunately the R has been replaced by the RS and that get mixed reviews.
Also the claimed reason for the change; better EU environmental labeling miffs me. In fact I see NO difference in said labeling between the R and RS*, heck even the A052!!!
I would very much like to get them as they are the only decent summer ones in 185/55R15 front ánd cheaper than A052s.

The only thing that míght be ´better´ it the UTQC treadwear index. For the R that was 200 (as it is for the A052) but I can nót find the one for the RS.

What I díd find is that the A052 is optimistically rated ánd weighs around 2 lbs less in MR2 sizes.

Anyway; anyone know the treadwear rating for the RS or any other ´improved´ rating?

* a German rating gave it WORSE even; an E instead of D:

Ardent

Quote from: Petrus on October 10, 2021, 17:29Although my AD08Rs still have plenty of profile depth they are getting off the boil.

Anyway; anyone know the treadwear rating for the RS or any other ´improved´ rating?

Short answer. No.

Is treadwear bit of a moot point. You have plenty of tread left on what you have, so looking for longer lasting......

Was the pic/rating genric as that was for 17s.

Petrus

I am curious as to what the improved EU labeling is.

Secondly; as the R is hard enough, I do not need a harder still...

JB21

You cant even say AD08RS and A052 in the same sentence, they are worlds apart! You will be bitterly disappointed with the RS, you'd be much better with Zestino Gredge if going with budget road/track tyres. 100% pay the extra and go with the premium A052, they are epic road/track tyres. Oh and treadwear rating means nothing. A052 are rated 200TW, but in reality should be a 100TW or less.

Topdownman

I think the Zestino sounds like what you are looking for as long as you are happy with the limited sizes available? 140 treadwear rating and not too expensive.

What info I could find about them on the internet all seems to be positive and with you being in the EU, no issues with more taxes on the price.

Of course they do need to be in stock!

zestino
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Petrus

I am ok with premium price for a premium product as long as it does not get silly money. Will ask the local tyre fitter for the A052.

AJRFulton

The AO52 performs just as well as all the common (track first, road second) semi slicks, but unlike things like R888R's, AR1's, etc.... also works very well in 'intermediate' weather. It's a fantastic tyre for the track and very popular with the guys who bring 1 set of tyres with then as it is so versatile (it is not so pressure sensitive, like the AR1). As JB21 says - it is a different league of tyre to the sporty road tyres when it comes to performance.

No idea how that translates into being a good road tyre though, but only a select few road legal tyres will offer comparable dry grip. Other tyres may be better options if the car only gets driven at say - 7/10ths.

Petrus

Quote from: AJRFulton on October 11, 2021, 20:08No idea how that translates into being a good road tyre though, but only a select few road legal tyres will offer comparable dry grip. Other tyres may be better options if the car only gets driven at say - 7/10ths.

I live in the mountainous heart of Andalucía. Also, although the car is my daily, I do not commute. If I do not like the weather I can opt to leave it under the car port.

Road wise I drive two thirds on ´touge´roads and ninety percent of my use is with near to no traffic. The roads I travel are most times réally quiet. Mind you still MUST drive as if there is someone coming from the other direction every blind corner but half the corners you cán see through.
I push the AD08R set to sliding almost daily, basically every time I travel the ´touge´ roads. Would do the same with less grippy type: it is not as much about the speed as about the fun of it. What I like most of the 08R is the predictability. On the road that is priceless.

AJRFulton

Quote from: Petrus on October 11, 2021, 21:40
Quote from: AJRFulton on October 11, 2021, 20:08No idea how that translates into being a good road tyre though, but only a select few road legal tyres will offer comparable dry grip. Other tyres may be better options if the car only gets driven at say - 7/10ths.

I live in the mountainous heart of Andalucía. Also, although the car is my daily, I do not commute. If I do not like the weather I can opt to leave it under the car port.

Road wise I drive two thirds on ´touge´roads and ninety percent of my use is with near to no traffic. The roads I travel are most times réally quiet. Mind you still MUST drive as if there is someone coming from the other direction every blind corner but half the corners you cán see through.
I push the AD08R set to sliding almost daily, basically every time I travel the ´touge´ roads. Would do the same with less grippy type: it is not as much about the speed as about the fun of it. What I like most of the 08R is the predictability. On the road that is priceless.

What I mean by that is the AO52 is a track tyre that can be used on the road. The AO8 is a road tyre that can be used on track, and that reordering of words makes a big difference.

I've no experience of running the AO52 on the road - only the track, but I have ran other e-marked track tyres on the road and generally didn't enjoy the experience - preferring a less grippy, but just nicer to use, performance road tyre. Although I wouldn't be surprised that the AO52 was also not too bad on the road, as it seems to tick so many boxes.

Although living an Andalusia, you shouldn't have an issue getting heat into the tyre. Many of these track tyres are not that grippy until warm - although the AO52 isn't one of them, it does offer good grip even at 10°c and fantastic grip once it's up over 50°c.

Petrus

Thanks AJRF, it is a bank holiday weekend, will drop by at the tyre shop tomorrow. Fingers crossed they are not silly money here.

Dropped by, they called; no stock at Yokohama for the moment.
So, wearing out the AD08R set some more. When the car is back on the wheels that is....

Tags: