New softtop options

Started by tricky1138, November 5, 2021, 14:49

tricky1138

I know there is a separate Mohair thread but didnt want to clutter that up if this turned into useless info.

I need to replace my drain bags as they are split and it gets wet inside when it rains. Thankfully I have a garage to keep her in so no major problem.

I have replacement bags and know its a roof off job to replace them so might as well spend my money (shock to some of you!) and get a new roof.

I know the answer is Swansea, but just compiled a list from the Mohair thread.

My question is - are their others? Plus there seams nothing in the north so travel and an overnight stay is compulsory for all options.

Raymondo, Swansea - Stayfast - £350

Monsoon, East Sussex - Haartz - £891

Southwest Roadsters, Bridport, Haartz - £660

Carhood, Kent - Haartz - £825

Carhoods Northern, Manchester - Not sure on their price, but thread shows £1k collected and delivered back.

Anyone else had one done - or has anyone asked Raymond to use Twilfast instead of Stayfast?

2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

puma2

:) i have  asked Raymond on different  types  and said  he can do twillfast but will cost a lot more plus he does not like them.

i used southwest just because they did use twillfast and when i looked he was the 2nd cheapest after raymound.

looks like your coming back to Wales then :))  :))
at least this time we can meet up :)

Topdownman

The only other option I can think of is to see if one of the cheaper options would make and then post a roof to you and you then use someone more local to fit it?

Could cut down on the time and cost of travelling and accomodation and maybe bypass Raymonds waiting list if he would do it?

Would someone like Dick Sloan do the fitting?
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

tricky1138

Quote from: Topdownman on November  5, 2021, 15:26The only other option I can think of is to see if one of the cheaper options would make and then post a roof to you and you then use someone more local to fit it?

Could cut down on the time and cost of travelling and accomodation and maybe bypass Raymonds waiting list if he would do it?

I did wonder that myself Simon, I saw a company near Glasgow called CarHoods Direct which only supply the roof, not fit it, but they were charging £710 delivered, then there would be an install cost on top .

I can always ask the other companies for their costs delivered.
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

carolineasb

Dick has definitely had a different material roof from Raymond in Swansea but not sure exactly what material it was. It's definitely a business opportunity to someone up here either in Scotland or the north of England. I think the delivering of a roof off a car is a problem as they are so unweildy (sp?) And likely to tear? If only we could get someone like Raymond to come up to say near the Scottish borders or Glasgow/Edinburgh with several roofs for a weekend and even charge a bit extra to put them on and it would save us at least the inconvenience of the trip south and he would still be guaranteed the business? My friend who lives almost the furthest north in Scotland has a horse who needed the horse dentist who practised in the west of Central Scotland so she got several horse friends to all group in with her to pay him extra and come up and do all their horses and have a weekend break away himself.
2006 (56) Blue TF300 (Newbie)<br />2001 (Y)  Silver (Oldie)
2004 (04) Black (The Inbetweenie)

normanh

There is another company out towards Berks, I'll look up the company as I cant remember it at the moment. Last time I queried was about £650 fitted.

www.carhood.com is one I found.

Norman

Bernie

Quote from: tricky1138 on November  5, 2021, 15:43
Quote from: Topdownman on November  5, 2021, 15:26The only other option I can think of is to see if one of the cheaper options would make and then post a roof to you and you then use someone more local to fit it?

I did wonder that myself Simon, I saw a company near Glasgow called CarHoods Direct which only supply the roof, not fit it, but they were charging £710 delivered, then there would be an install cost on top .

Would D1ck be able to fit one you purchase for you ?
Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

tricky1138

Quote from: Bernie on November  8, 2021, 07:11
Quote from: tricky1138 on November  5, 2021, 15:43

Would D1ck be able to fit one you purchase for you ?

I'm sure he would be able to. I was going to approach him for a rough cost. Could give him a new business!

Still all the supply hoods are expensive too.

tricky1138

I've spoken with Dick, and he had never fitted on from scratch so is reluctant to do it on a customers car (ok he basically said no)

Even he said - go to Swansea!

He did also said that he has had a Twillfast hood from Raymond, but was unable to give me a cost as he got it at trade price.

I'll give Raymond a ring over the next few weeks, and see how he stands.

Last time I fitted it around Ding Day, but guess I'll have to make a special trip out for it next year.

Topdownman

At least you tried!

Given the length of his waiting list, isnt it best to get on it now?

I cant remember how it works but presumably he rings you when you are near the top to see what you want so there is no commitment when you go on the list?
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

BahnStormer

I had the Sevenoaks Carhood Warehouse one done several years ago - it's holding up very well.. but I've seen some nice work from the Swansea guys (jvanzyl's), so if the two options are sat side-by-side, I'd be hard-pressed to justify the extra spend.

I probably would have tried Swansea but my old acrylic roof was crumbling before my eyes and it was going to cost me at LEAST a day of unpaid leave at the time (I'm an IT contractor), assuming I could get a Monday/Friday slot.

The Carhood Warehouse option was so much closer and just a couple of hours of waiting around on a Saturday (all day breakfast + Netflix in a local Sainsburys café) - not having to take any leave more than offset the price difference, plus I got a Robbins(Haartz) roof :)
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

Joesson

[/quote]
Quote from: Anon on May  3, 2022, 14:18I know this is an old post, but I'm trying to find a supply only new roof.

I wonder if all these firms are literally cutting them out from the rolls,

You can buy the material itself here http://mbsfabrics.co.uk/automotive-hooding/haartz-stayfast/

Do I take my hood apart, unpick the stitching and make a template  :o
Do away with the rear window at the same time  ;)

Just maybe a telephone call to that fabric supplier, or another, could point you to a fabricator near to you.
The fabric supplier must have a customer list and it would be in their interest to let you know who would use their fabric to make a hood for you.

Jay

Just wondering if anyone has actually had a roof shipped to them?

Logistics are against me as I'm not on the mainland so might have to some DIY (destroy-it-yourself).

Thanks for any pointers,

Jay

puma2

:) BAS Ltd.
10-13, Llantarnam Park Ind Est,
Cwmbran,
S.Wales,
NP44 3AX,
United Kingdom

Tel (+44)01633 873664
Fax (+44)01633 875958
info@bas-international.com

this is were i believe Swansea roofs come from. You would need to speak to Raymond to confirm this

Jay

Awesome, I'll give them a shout to see if they can help.

Thank you!

fawtytoo

Quote from: Jay on May 15, 2022, 13:15Awesome, I'll give them a shout to see if they can help.

Thank you!
I've just had a reply from them, and they don't make anything for Toyotas.
"My name is not important" - Slartibartfast

Jay

Yes, just got the same there now, the search goes on!

puma2

Quote from: Anon on May 18, 2022, 16:58Same here, I had a chat to a guy there, he was really sound and helpful.

They used to make them, they still have the files/templates for cutting them.

But they had problems with fitment - saying 6 out 10 fitted great but the other 4 didn't.

They stopped doing them as it was more trouble than they were worth.

..... the hunt continues!

Sorry if i heave wasted anybody's time on this :-[  :-[
i thought in the conversation with Raymond they did.
it is were he gets the rolls of materteral as in stayfast

Joesson

Quote from: Anon on May 19, 2022, 10:40I've rang about again. Found a place locally that will supply only one for £895inc VAT for self fit.

The guy in Bideford, south west roadsters must be making them in house to offer £690 fitted, I've emailed and rang pretty much every roof fabrication in the UK and they all want more than that just supply only, plus VAT.

I think quite a few places who are around the £1000 to 1400 area are supplying hoods made in the USA.

The consensus seems to be that the difficulty is in the fitting and that Swansea is the place to go if price is the consideration .

Ardent

Quote from: Anon on May 19, 2022, 10:40I've rang about again. Found a place locally that will supply only one for £895inc VAT for self fit.

The guy in Bideford, south west roadsters must be making them in house to offer £690 fitted, I've emailed and rang pretty much every roof fabrication in the UK and they all want more than that just supply only, plus VAT.

I think quite a few places who are around the £1000 to 1400 area are supplying hoods made in the USA.
Think that is where @puma2 got his done.
And very happy with it.

Tags: