Steering Boss Advice + Info Required

Started by Gibla, November 13, 2021, 09:36

Gibla

After reading an entry from @Alex Knight regarding Nardi Personal Steering Wheels :- who gave a very positive recommendation

I decided to give it a whirl on Facebook Marketplace/Flea Bay.

and obtained a very tired,dirty looking leather 330mm Nardi steering wheel claimed to have come off a HondaCivic Type R for ~ £80 along with an assortment of fitting boss's (it should have been a 350mm but hey ho)
After a bit of cleaning by me and some fettling by @MattPerformance the wheel was fitted + I liked it that much decided to try for 'others' to fit my other cars also. 

So I was extremely chuffed to get a 350mm Suede Neo Grinta + similar syle in leather, for what I considered to be a bargain price (both new/fairly new) BUT both wheels came with bosses that have proven to be unsuitable for my '2'.

eBay bosses that supposedly fit, in fact, don't.

Help required ......can anyone provide a link that would solve this please.

*** Edited***
Reliably informed that this definitely fits

HKB boss kit(Product code OT-237)
stock 2001 Dark Green MR-S (6R4)
stock 2004 Black - repurchased from guy who bought yellow 'un

rusty0273

I'd avoid the generic Ebay bosses. Apparently they're on Alibaba for only a few pounds so that tells you all you need to know. I have one of these below. It comes with everything you need. The indicator self cancelling does work but is a bit hit and miss - no biggy. Other than that, seems to be a quality piece of equipment.
BTW You don't specifically need the widely reported 3.3 Ohm resistor for the airbag. I think this comes with a 2 Ohm which works perfectly. Just make sure its is seated securely in the airbag connector before starting the car.
Otherwise you'll get a fault light which needs to be reset with a coder.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162491876848

Gibla

Quote from: rusty0273 on November 13, 2021, 11:01I'd avoid the generic Ebay bosses. Apparently they're on Alibaba for only a few pounds so that tells you all you need to know. I have one of these below. It comes with everything you need. The indicator self cancelling does work but is a bit hit and miss - no biggy. Other than that, seems to be a quality piece of equipment.
BTW You don't specifically need the widely reported 3.3 Ohm resistor for the airbag. I think this comes with a 2 Ohm which works perfectly. Just make sure its is seated securely in the airbag connector before starting the car.
Otherwise you'll get a fault light which needs to be reset with a coder.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162491876848

Cheers sir

HKB seems the way to go :-) , quite tricky to find any in the UK I have found, just ordered 2 from 'Driftshop' who are located in the US and France

Ardent

Keep thinking about this myself.

My usual concern is, does it result in the  wheel being closer to the driver?
I don't mind it being the same. But don't want it closer.
I would like a slightly smaller wheel.

Gibla

To be fair the OEM Toyota steering wheel is really rather good, but it would be nicer still if the column allowed up/down and in/out adjustment.

But, having said that the Nardi Personal (no doubt other aftermarket wheels can replicate as well) fits beautifully into the hand and I'm sure once fitted will be a desirable upgrade if like their baby brother.

330mm is possibly too small a size to go down to though Jason, it makes reading any instruments nigh on impossible.

rusty0273

I've played around a bit with a few options on wheels. Here's my thoughts to consider on the practicalities.
I have the HKB boss and a 40mm 'dish' wheel - that's basically a flat wheel.
I found that it was too far away from me and after a few options now have a 30mm spacer - perfect for me at 6ft. It would be ideal to be able to try a few spacers as its difficult to judge until you buy one and bolt it on. When you put a spacer on, the stalks are further away which is not ideal but livable if you have long fingers!
I have a 325mm diameter wheel which is similar to an Elise and I think is perfect for the MR2. 350 would be OK but the original 370mm I think is just daft in this car - a parts bin option.
The problem with the smaller diameter wheel is dials visibility - the top of the dials are obscured. The spacer helps with this to a degree.
So, there is not really a perfect solution when you change from stock but for me the compromises are worth it for the improved position of the wheel, knee clearance, improved feel from a smaller wheel etc.

Bossworld

Momo boss comes with the correct resistor and keeps the steering wheel pretty much same distance as stock (unless you go deep dish). Should be about £80 and be readily available. Might have pics in my reader's ride thread. Auto cancels indicators and collapses in a crash

You'll need to either adapt the stock horn wire (you can remove the white plastic connector and just keep the single pin) or make your own though.

I ran a 300mm wheel and it stopped my hip pain from having to put my foot at strange angles.

Zxrob

Quote from: Ardent on November 13, 2021, 11:26Keep thinking about this myself.

My usual concern is, does it result in the  wheel being closer to the driver?
I don't mind it being the same. But don't want it closer.
I would like a slightly smaller wheel.

Go for it
I never really like the standard wheel and found it "awkward" on a track day, I fitted a momo with HKB boss, like night and day imo, I went for the 350mm wheel rather than the 330m , only slightly smaller than standard but totally transformed the feel for me

Rob
Adventure before dementia 😁

Ardent

Topdownman

"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Ardent

rusty0273

Quote from: Bossworld on November 13, 2021, 20:19Momo boss comes with the correct resistor and keeps the steering wheel pretty much same distance as stock (unless you go deep dish). Should be about £80 and be readily available. Might have pics in my reader's ride thread. Auto cancels indicators and collapses in a crash

You'll need to either adapt the stock horn wire (you can remove the white plastic connector and just keep the single pin) or make your own though.

I ran a 300mm wheel and it stopped my hip pain from having to put my foot at strange angles.

One advantage of the HKB boss is that it comes with an adapter for the horn connection which swaps in for the OEM one and requires no modification. Other than that I think the kits are pretty comparable. Momo one was around £10 cheaper when I was buying last year.

Alex Knight

Quote from: Gibla on November 13, 2021, 09:36After reading an entry from @Alex Knight regarding Nardi Personal Steering Wheels :- who gave a very positive recommendation

I've had the 350mm Neo Grinta wheel and Momo boss fitted for quite a while now, and here's my feedback:

* The Momo boss seems to be very good quality and worth the price - no issues with self cancelling at all also.

* You can de-pin the original wiring from the clock spring and pop this straight onto the earth for the horn button. It's fiddly, but it can be done. Recommended if you don't have a soldering iron and/or crimping tools etc. I used a very small electrical screwdriver.

* The wheel does sit fractionally closer to you than the OEM wheel - I'd estimate about 10mm closer. The only thing I've found this impacts is the indicators and wipers are slightly more of a finger stretch now, but certainly not anything off-putting. You get used to it quickly. I also like a wheel that's closer to me, as I need to have the seat all the way back.

* For a daily driver, I'd recommend leather over suede, as the suede wheel absorbs dirt a lot more than leather. For the occasional weekend warrior and track car, I'd recommend suede as you get more grip with gloves on.

* The reduction in diameter from 370mm (stock) to 350mm (Personal) is perfect for me. It's that bit easier to catch slides with a smaller diameter as you can make inputs/corrections 5.5% quicker. Also give more knee room.

* Each to their own, but I'm absolutely not a fan of dished wheels at all. They belong on drift cars where you need to let go of the wheel during opposite lock corrections. A flat wheel is better for me.

Alex Knight

For reference, this is the wire you need to de-pin and re-attach to the clock spring.

The reason being is that the white plug fouls the back of the Momo boss.
You essentially do away with the white plug. The spade end connects to the horn earth.

Bossworld

Quote from: Alex Knight on November 15, 2021, 13:40For reference, this is the wire you need to de-pin and re-attach to the clock spring.

The reason being is that the white plug fouls the back of the Momo boss.
You essentially do away with the white plug. The spade end connects to the horn earth.

Yep that's the one. Cost me a tenner for a second hand one when I put the car back to stock!

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: rusty0273 on November 13, 2021, 11:01https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162491876848

Interesting that an HKB for a Mk2 fits a Mk3, because unless their listing is incorrect, a Momo boss doesn't.
The Momo number is a 7733 & I've previously seen it listed as only fitting 4 cars. The Yaris, Matrix, & a Hyundai, so there are rarely used ones for sale.

But in looking up ebay just now there is a listing for Momo & the SW20. ??????

Anyone looking to buy.....bargain 20% off.....  ebay 123806369537

Tags: