Fuel consumption - E10?

Started by McMr2, November 19, 2021, 14:52

Beachbum957

Quote from: Ardent on March 14, 2022, 07:49Been covered on here a few times.
 As you say too early to tell.
Will it run on e10? Yes.
Optimally? No.
Will you be able to tell the difference?  Probably not on modern cars.

Most reports of changes are more anecdotal than definitive.  For example, the actual measured energy difference be tween E10 and ethanol free is 3%.  The repeatability of vehicle fuel mileage measurement is no better than +/- 2% even under laboratory chassis dyno conditions.  All things being equal, any difference will be very hard to measure.

The other factor is the electronics and O2 sensors adjust for different conditions, so that can mask any change as well.

Petrus

Quote from: Beachbum957 on March 14, 2022, 13:41Will you be able to tell the difference?  Probably not on modern cars.

Most reports of changes are more anecdotal than definitive.  For example, the actual measured energy difference be tween E10 and ethanol free is 3%.  The repeatability of vehicle fuel mileage measurement is no better than +/- 2% even under laboratory chassis dyno conditions.  All things being equal, any difference will be very hard to measure.

The other factor is the electronics and O2 sensors adjust for different conditions, so that can mask any change as well.

Done to near death this.

Modern sensors will adapt to the fuel so mask it yes.
For the rest the ´noticeble´ is about how sensitive the driver is ánd about what he/she chooses to want to believe.
Just like with different tyres, geometry set up, some kilos more/less in the frump.

Just came back with the old Volvo 340 and it is most definitely noticeble. The 1.4 Renault engine has ´hotter´ cams, sports filter and less restrictive exhaust. It is véry sensitive to the fuel used. On 95 (no ethanol) it ´dieseled´ upon switching off. On E5 (95) it does not. On E10 there is an almost flat spot when the second stage opens.
Also to keep up the same speed up steep mountain passes it needs to switched to ´sports´ earlier on E10 than on zero ethanol.

So you can bet there is a difference.
Just masked and easier to miss/ignore with modern power house engines.

Ardent

Quote from: Beachbum957 on March 14, 2022, 13:41Will you be able to tell the difference?  Probably not on modern cars.
Might be true on a "modern" car MR2s are not modern.
My daily is 8 years old. A lot newer than my 2. But that is not really modern now either.
I could certainly tell the difference when the daily was fed some e10. And reflected in my mpg stats.

Petrus

Quote from: Ardent on March 14, 2022, 17:12Might be true on a "modern" car MR2s are not modern.
My daily is 8 years old. A lot newer than my 2. But that is not really modern now either.
I could certainly tell the difference when the daily was fed some e10. And reflected in my mpg stats.

8 y.o. is at least a gen younger than the MR2. Has a newer gen OBD2 (code storing memory!*) too ánd should meet twó emisslon levels tougher.

For mé a red neon warning is the übergründlich Mercedes ´not E10 compatible´ list which is a quite clear ´88 and pre RüF cat, cut off. 
E5 is probably too low a % to upset the apple cart or any parts but 10% is beyond the tolerance of the fuel design.

A ´chemical´ caveat: Ethanol is hygroscopic. Our much appreciated Jason used this to test the ethanol contents in pump stuff.
This has two sides for us. On the one it eliminates any water in the system by suckin´it up. The second, other side of that is that this renders the octane boosting of the stuff useless, in effect lowering the octane rating. If that is the case, the knock sensor of the engine will retard the ignition, prevent damage at the cost of performance.

* to clear the memory for MoT you need to drain the ECU capacitor. Is both off topic and illegal so not going deeper into it  O:-)

A7DUO

so would I be right in thinking, form most, on a run - an Mr-2 mk.3 returns 50mpg at best on E5/Super and 45mpg on E10?  Also was there any difference in fuel consumption on the facelift cars post 2003 or are they all the same generally? (although I suppose the 6th gear post 2003 could save a few MPG's on a run as it is a higher ratio over the 5 speed that added 6th)
Matt (2001 Toyota MR-2) 2009 Toyota IQ, 2016 Caterham 420R, 2008 Mini Clubman CooperD

TheTigerUK

I seem to average mid/late 30's using Shell E5
Say it with love, say it with flowers but never, never, say it in writing.

The idea is to die young as late as possible :)

Chilli Girl

Quote from: A7DUO on March 16, 2022, 14:27so would I be right in thinking, form most, on a run - an Mr-2 mk.3 returns 50mpg at best on E5/Super and 45mpg on E10?  Also was there any difference in fuel consumption on the facelift cars post 2003 or are they all the same generally? (although I suppose the 6th gear post 2003 could save a few MPG's on a run as it is a higher ratio over the 5 speed that added 6th)

Crikey, I don't think at best an MR2 has seen 50mpg - I did get 45mpg on a trip from southern England to Scotland once in my first facelift.  My current pfl tends to be just over the 30mpg mark.
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

Petrus

Quote from: Chilli Girl on March 16, 2022, 14:50Crikey, I don't think at best an MR2 has seen 50mpg - I did get 45mpg on a trip from southern England to Scotland once in my first facelift.  My current pfl tends to be just over the 30mpg mark.

Fuel economy is as driver does  ;D
Even mainly roof up vs mainly down makes a comparison futile.
For just about every make/model there are bell diagrams with a modal and average use with a wíííde max. - min. range at both sides.

E10 vs 100% petrol is only theoretically the caloric difference as the 1ZZ-FE is designed for 100% and suboptimal for anything else. About, a little over 5% is to be expected. Ditto the performance.

A7DUO

good points and good to know, thanks
Matt (2001 Toyota MR-2) 2009 Toyota IQ, 2016 Caterham 420R, 2008 Mini Clubman CooperD

normanh

44mpg the other day, nice run on M25 of 190 odd miles 19.76 litres fuel. Cant see a significant difference tbh between E5 and E10

Norman

TheTigerUK

I filled up yesterday (E5) and did a MPG check after I had stopped crying and my average was 31.5 MPG it goes to show I have been driving quite spiritedly of late, I shall have to go back to my more sedate steady driving :)
Say it with love, say it with flowers but never, never, say it in writing.

The idea is to die young as late as possible :)

McMr2

Quote from: TheTigerUK on May  7, 2022, 20:01I filled up yesterday (E5) and did a MPG check after I had stopped crying and my average was 31.5 MPG it goes to show I have been driving quite spiritedly of late, I shall have to go back to my more sedate steady driving :)

Using the throttle like an on/off switch, only way to do it in an mr2  :)

If you drive it gently 45+mpg is definitely attainable on a run.
2004 Silver. Stock(ish).

Ardent

Quote from: TheTigerUK on May  7, 2022, 20:01I filled up yesterday (E5) and did a MPG check after I had stopped crying and my average was 31.5 MPG it goes to show I have been driving quite spiritedly of late, I shall have to go back to my more sedate steady driving :)
It's the weight penalty of all your bling. ;)

Petrus

Quote from: McMr2 on May  7, 2022, 20:31Using the throttle like an on/off switch, only way to do it in an mr2  :)

By Jove! Is there on ´off´ mode? Could you have enlightened me befóre I starved the engine of lubricating oil drifting?? >:D

Tags: